• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
So, it seems that the IRS made a change to the W4 form ahead of TY 2020 that completely recalculated all the tax tables based on your elections. Anyone who had filled out a W4 prior to 2020 had all their elections calculated at the previous rates. After 2020, in order for Cheeto Von Fuckface McOrange Nazic*nt to trick stupid people into thinking their taxes went down just adjusted all the tables so people who changed jobs after 2020 got more in their take home pay.

I changed jobs in 2022. So for tax year 2022, filed last year, I broke even. Half the year at a lower salary and previous w4 tables, half at higher salary and newer tax tables, and I was unaware that they had changed. I figure it was because we made some changes to student loans, health savings accounts and other things.

Fast forward to this year, and I was under withheld in my taxes by 6 grand and have a penalty. And I have had to spend the first 3 hours of my day figuring it out myself.

But Biden is president now, so I am supposed to blame him, I guess.
In Canada this year they added a rule (at the last minute) where blind trusts have to file separate tax returns, and are subject to fines if they don't.

A few weeks into tax season, they figured out that this captures every parent with a joint account with their child, or if you have a joint account with a senior to help with the bills (or succession planning). Basically all joint account where the benefit of the asset rest with only one of the parties.

At least the tax department decided to scrap it entirely (for this year at least) rather that try to Band-Aid some fix in on the fly.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it's tax day in the US, I'll bitch about something else.

City and town governments have gotten the idea that they should control parking lot sizes to control the number of cars they have to deal with. When I lived in Massachusetts I would read a lot of local stories about how towns were restricting small strip malls and restaurants by insisting on lots of handicapped spots and spots for "compact cars only," thinking this would change people's buying habits. No, it just means there aren't enough parking spots, as the handicapped spots are empty and every monster truck takes 1 1/2 compact car spots.

Now, were going to see parking spots reserved for EVs. Let those lazy fucks walk an extra block instead of giving them VIP parking just because they spent $60K on a car that should have cost 30.