• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Mayweather vs Maidana

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in boxing is aggression some how frowned upon while trying to avoid fighting smiled upon. That Maidana kid for the most part walk Floyd down and forced him back into the ropes. He controlled the action and forced the fight on Mayweather. Yet unlike MMA rules controlling a fight and being the aggressor means nothing in boxing.

Don't know how I feel about the decision. They landed about the same number of punches even though Maidana took twice as many punches to do that. I just think Maidana should have got more credit for controlling the fight.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayweather landed more punches while throwing less than half as many. Efficiency, game plan and boxing wins boxing matches, swinging away wildly does not.

I may not like how he carries himself but Mayweather is an absolute master of his craft, every match he put on a lesson in BOXING while many causal fans want to see brawlers in a slugfest. Being a brawler is all well and good but if you can't hit the guy with a quarter of your punches and he hits you with most of his, then you lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayweather landed more punches while throwing less than half as many. Efficiency, game plan and boxing wins boxing matches, swinging away wildly does not.

I may not like how he carries himself but Mayweather is an absolute master of his craft, every match he put on a lesson in BOXING while many causal fans want to see brawlers in a slugfest. Being a brawler is all well and good but if you can't hit the guy with a quarter of your punches and he hits you with most of his, then you lose.

:agree:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in boxing is aggression some how frowned upon while trying to avoid fighting smiled upon. That Maidana kid for the most part walk Floyd down and forced him back into the ropes. He controlled the action and forced the fight on Mayweather. Yet unlike MMA rules controlling a fight and being the aggressor means nothing in boxing.

Don't know how I feel about the decision. They landed about the same number of punches even though Maidana took twice as many punches to do that. I just think Maidana should have got more credit for controlling the fight.

Maidana was w/o question the aggressor but controll the fight not close. He fought recklessly and the quality of landed punches were low. He never came close to hurting Floyd and was imo trying to out punch Floyd in every round in the attempt to sway the judges in his favor. I think the judges got it right.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching witbh a friend and as soon as the weight differential was shown, we both expected Maidana to use his size advantage to push Mayweather around, but Maidana laying on Mayweather against the rope and throwing wildly inaccurate punches (how many low blows did he throw?) isn't gonna win the fight.

We watched the 1st round 3 times before moving on with the fight because we kept slo mo watching Mayweather's mastery at bobbing and weaving that had Maidana's GOOD shots missing or having phantom connects, with the punches barely grazing Mayweather's head.

I'm glad I wasn't a judge, because there was a lot to that fight.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayweather is too great a defensive fighter for these guys to beat. The only way he is going to get taken out at this point is when he gets too old or a crafty fighter beats him. They keep throwing all of these brawlers and big punchers at him and it just isn't going to happen. He takes those fights because he knows he will control them and pick them apart. Pacquiao might have had a chance a few years ago, but I don't think he can beat him at this point.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching witbh a friend and as soon as the weight differential was shown, we both expected Maidana to use his size advantage to push Mayweather around, but Maidana laying on Mayweather against the rope and throwing wildly inaccurate punches (how many low blows did he throw?) isn't gonna win the fight.

We watched the 1st round 3 times before moving on with the fight because we kept slo mo watching Mayweather's mastery at bobbing and weaving that had Maidana's GOOD shots missing or having phantom connects, with the punches barely grazing Mayweather's head.

I'm glad I wasn't a judge, because there was a lot to that fight.

I agree there was a lot to that fight to have to judge. It was easily the best test of Mayweather's abilities in years. I think Maidana had the right idea to beating him though. High volume and pressure is what it's going to take, but Maidana lacked the speed and footwork to make it happen. The fight only furthers my desire to see Manny vs Floyd, but at this point I'm not sure how great it would be. They should have fought 5 years ago in their prime.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayweather is too great a defensive fighter for these guys to beat. The only way he is going to get taken out at this point is when he gets too old or a crafty fighter beats him. They keep throwing all of these brawlers and big punchers at him and it just isn't going to happen. He takes those fights because he knows he will control them and pick them apart. Pacquiao might have had a chance a few years ago, but I don't think he can beat him at this point.

He's great against brawlers but he's also been great against technical fighters.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's great against brawlers but he's also been great against technical fighters.

I know, but I think that is going to be the only way someone is going to get him. Eventually everyone will get caught if they go long enough, but you can't just put some guy in there praying for the 1 "lucky" punch to beat him. The only way someone is going to beat him right now is if they make him go on the attack. It will make for a boring fight, but I feel like that is going to be the only way.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, but I think that is going to be the only way someone is going to get him. Eventually everyone will get caught if they go long enough, but you can't just put some guy in there praying for the 1 "lucky" punch to beat him. The only way someone is going to beat him right now is if they make him go on the attack. It will make for a boring fight, but I feel like that is going to be the only way.

You may be right but I just don't see anyone out boxing him especially in this watered down era of boxing.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I question whether CompuBox counted all of Maidana's body punches. CompuBox is really just two guys counting punches as they see them. It's not a computer that scientifically tracks punches, even thought that's what the name CompuBox might lead you to believe. Seems like a lot of room for error.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Micky Ward is the fighter from the movie The Fighter staring Marc Wahlberg

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there were playoffs in boxing, you can pretty much guarantee that none of these guys would be unbeaten. No one's unbeatable.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the fight, one of the announces said that there were currently something like 22 undefeated title holders in boxing today. How ridiculous is that?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand Mayweather not wanting Maidana to have "custom" gloves, but the rest of it, and probably all of it (in a certain respect), is mainly about fucking with Maidana and getting in his head.

As was mentioned in the recent 30 for 30 documentary, "Bad Boys," if you get the opponent focusing on something else besides only the game/fight, "then you've already won, because they're not thinking about [the fight]" (the real quote says "not thinking about the game").

Mayweather was simply getting inside Maidana's head, just like the greats Ali and Tyson would have done.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Mayweather not wanting Maidana to have "custom" gloves, but the rest of it, and probably all of it (in a certain respect), is mainly about fucking with Maidana and getting in his head.

As was mentioned in the recent 30 for 30 documentary, "Bad Boys," if you get the opponent focusing on something else besides only the game/fight, "then you've already won, because they're not thinking about [the fight]" (the real quote says "not thinking about the game").

Mayweather was simply getting inside Maidana's head, just like the greats Ali and Tyson would have done.

I would compare him more to Sugar Ray Leonard, who also cried about the opponent's gloves even though the gloves were perfectly legal. I don't remember Tyson or Ali doing any of that.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there were playoffs in boxing, you can pretty much guarantee that none of these guys would be unbeaten. No one's unbeatable.

Andre Ward kind of proved that wrong.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would compare him more to Sugar Ray Leonard, who also cried about the opponent's gloves even though the gloves were perfectly legal. I don't remember Tyson or Ali doing any of that.

It appears that his opponent was the one crying. Why the hell does he need his own custom gloves? Just put on the regulation gloves and go out there to fight.