• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Lucic/Kings/Oilers

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised there wasn't as much fan fare with his return to LA last week, I was well aware of this game and made sure I could see it. Few articles I found looking around:

Milan Lucic Still Misses L.A. After Return to Staples Center

Milan Lucic searches for Oilers fit after 'great year' with LA Kings

Oilers Snapshots: Milan Lucic liked bright lights of L.A.

I really liked Lucic here, he fit well with the team almost instantly and I loved the physical element he added, not to mention the instant accountability he provided on the ice making it easier on guys like Kopitar, Toffoli, Carter, et al.

I was confident something would happen and was bummed to see him leave but there is no way the Kings could have given him that contract, not to mention I don't think it is a smart contract anyway no matter what team - my max was 5 years, preferably 4 with higher dollars. Power forwards rarely play well past 30-32 and I don't think he will be any different. The last 4 years on that deal will be a nightmare for Edmonton.

- I love how Sutter didn't candy coat it, he said it a nice way Lucic chased the money. I also love how he stood up for Kopitar, all damn summer long I kept reading how Lucic would get to play with McDavid. McKid may be skilled and fun to watch, but he is nowhere near Kopitar (yet) in terms of a bonafide, legitimate top 3 center in this league. Get some years under your belt kid and then let's see where you stand.

- you'd think hockey crazed Canada would get stuff right, this one from the Edmonton Journal article I posted:

It was double-whammy for the Kings. They dealt Jonathan Quick’s very good backup Martin Jones, prospect Sean Kuraly and a first-round pick in 2015 to get Lucic.

Jones had a great year last year, this year while his current stats are better if you have watched the Sharks he has been very inconsistent, same issues he had in LA. I still consider him a borderline number 1 goalie, some nights he looks like it and others he looks like Jones who was here, a 1A - my sample size for all skaters is generally 3 full (40-50+ games/season is my standard) seasons before I am sold on a player one way or another. He has had the luxury of playing behind two very good teams too, so that has to be taken into consideration. Would be curious to see how he fares against a defensively sloppy team.

Sean Kuraly? He was drafted in the 5th round 2011 by SJ, not LA. LA Sent Miller/1st-2015/Jones for Lucic, the Sharks sent Kuraly/1st-2015 for Jones. Kuraly had nothing to with LA ever.

Colin Miller is a decent puck mover with some offensive skills, he has played well for Boston.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this team's image is different than it used to be (Not nearly the size/physical team they used to be), but I have to agree that I don't regret the Kings not caving to sign Lucic.

I think the Kings are doing well to tread water until more people come back into the lineup, and I actually like some of these young guys. Plus you look at Toffoli and Pearson being up for new contracts this summer, then the potential monster that will be Drew Dought's contract the summer after that. Scary thought.

Dean Lombardi took his chance and got Lucic (For a lot) but since Boston retained so much salary, the Kings were essentially playing with an extra $6mil/year guy for the whole season. It didn't work out, and Martinez being out exposed this team, but if they could have gotten by SJ, who knows. Maybe we are talking about a whole different scenario. Kings would have played Nashville Rd2, Blues Rd3, And Pitt in the finals. You never know.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about Lucic, he was a great fit and I think he would have had an even better second season here. Lucic should go after whatever he feels he needed and I am glad the Kings couldn't/wouldn't pony up. I agree with Puck about power forwards....another reason I understand Lucic looking for $$