• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Jason Collins

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
exactly. now the question "who' gonna go first" is off the table.
courageous act, good for him, and good for anyone it might help.

By the way, you should all be very proud of me for not posting :
'good for him, and good for all who come behind him'

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I might take some heat for this, but I hate the fact that some people call it a courageous act.

Speaking out about being absued or molested is a courageous act. Testifying in court against someone, even though you fear possible repruccussions, is courageous.

If Collins was "courageous", he would have come out earlier in his career, instead of at the age of 34.

But like I said before, if society wasn't so obsessed with labels, there wouldn't be a need for these types of stories in the first place. Being gay doesn't change anything about the person playing sports no more than an athlete saying he's a Rebuplican.

Bottom line is that people are the problem, always have been.

It may not be courageous compared to say, being a fireman, but if it was so easy someone would have done it by now. Let's be honest, locker room talk is all "fag this, gay that, small dick that, butt fuck r*pe" blah blah blah. Most of these guys aren't actually homophobes, but being the first openly gay guy in professional sports isn't an easy road to take.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for the day that a gay athlete doesn't feel that it is necessary to hide the fact that he's gay nor announce it to the world. It shouldn't be a big deal, but unforunately it is for now. I'm sure there are probably others who are not ashamed of who they are and don't care who knows they are gay, but really don't want to make a big deal of this and turn it into a media circus. I'm sure some would rather not actively hide the fact they are gay but don't want to go through the process of making this big announcement either. Unfortunately, it appears as though those are the only 2 options for the time being.

By the way everyone, I'm left-handed. Just thought everyone should know.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for the day that a gay athlete doesn't feel that it is necessary to hide the fact that he's gay nor announce it to the world. It shouldn't be a big deal, but unforunately it is for now. I'm sure there are probably others who are not ashamed of who they are and don't care who knows they are gay, but really don't want to make a big deal of this and turn it into a media circus. I'm sure some would rather not actively hide the fact they are gay but don't want to go through the process of making this big announcement either. Unfortunately, it appears as though those are the only 2 options for the time being.

By the way everyone, I'm left-handed. Just thought everyone should know.

When did you decide to become left handed?

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard all of this on sports radio today and to be honest I just dont give a shit.

If he is gay and that makes him happy so be it.

I am not and do not understand how a man could enjoy that but it is not me so who gives a shit. Enjoy your life as you choose and fuck anyone else's who does not like it.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not be courageous compared to say, being a fireman, but if it was so easy someone would have done it by now. Let's be honest, locker room talk is all "fag this, gay that, small dick that, butt fuck r*pe" blah blah blah. Most of these guys aren't actually homophobes, but being the first openly gay guy in professional sports isn't an easy road to take.

Definitely, but the appearance definitely has an effect. A former classmate of mine, a hockey player, came out a few years after graduation. He hadn't really stayed in touch with anyone, but showed up at a party and after a few drinks, really flipped out on everyone, including old teammates. He really thought that everyone had known about him, and hated him for being gay. In reality, nobody suspected, but wouldn't have cared anyway.

Years later, when I was teaching at same school, and there was a German goalie who was pretty obviously gay, even though he hadn't come out. The hockey team that year was just as homophobic, at least on the surface, but you could tell they loved this guy. He was super popular. He was comfortable with his sexuality, so were his teammates, and even though I'm sure the lockerroom dialogue was just as slur-filled, he wasn't offended because he knew it was nothing more than talk.

But when somebody is struggling with their sexuality, or hiding it, you'd have to imagine that they can be pretty paranoid about all the comments they hear.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He decided to come out now because he knows his career is over in the NBA. While I can't prove it, I believe it is an attempt to create a media cicus over it with him righ tin the middle of it.

Famous perople and even the President were tweeting that he is courageous, and even being called a Pioneer like Jackie Robinson. The guy is gay, he didn't do anything other than be himself.

But I already statedd how society loves labels, so of course people are going to show their supoort for him, because that in turn makes them look good as well.

There are tons of gay people who stand up for themselves or others everyday who have it a lot harder than some rich guy who plays in the NBA, but you don't hear shit about them.

:gaah:

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He decided to come out now because he knows his career is over in the NBA. While I can't prove it, I believe it is an attempt to create a media cicus over it with him righ tin the middle of it.

Eh... I think that's being a bit cynical. You can't rule it out, for sure. But it could even be the opposite? Maybe he kept it a secret until now because he thought it would work against him, but now that he's nearing retirement, he finally felt ready because he didn't need the NBA as much as before.

Of all the effects coming out will have on his life, I'd imagine that 1) not having to hide who you are, and 2) possibly being an inspiration to young gay athletes, are both more powerful motivations than creating a media circus or possibly getting that one last NBA contract in a dwindling career.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
related :

I guess Robbie Rogers wants to reclaim his title of "first male "active" gay athlete in north america team sports" again

and 3 teams are getting into a bidding war to get him

might show that in sports being gay doesnt matter ... being good at your sport does

Kick Off: Robbie Rogers' return sparks scramble for his signature | MLSsoccer.com

LA it is... Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy

as admirable as it is, I still can't not hate that team while landycakes is on it.