• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawaian really liked your ot scenario was deep would love to see the concept played out
thanks.

It just makes TOO much sense. Basically its win or nothing, you know, I would play my ass off knowing that my team would lose out on points. Shootouts are great, but to have the game decided by individual efforts really bugs me.

I think in order for it to work, OT would have to be at least 10 min, with 1 min penalties. 2 min penalties on OT is retarded.

Maybe it would increase the gap between bad and good teams, but really, isn’t the point of standings to indicate how good or bad a team is? artificially leveling the playing field by awarding extra points simply makes bad teams appear better than they are.

my .02

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We actually don't practice at a rink anymore. We have our own warehouse and we have sport court laid out. Practices either start at 7:30 or 9:00 pm on weekdays. I just prefer the 9:00 pm ones because I don't normally get home from work until after 6 and my commute to practice can either be 20 minutes or an hour depending on the time of evening and the mode of transportation. I like to have a chance to come home and eat dinner and not rush myself.

I've limited myself to training at night to 2x. I can't stand laying in bed with adrenaline still pumping through my body. and damn. there's good and bad about living stateside.

the good:
more shit to do
Hockey
Motorsports

the bad:
more traffic to deal with
more assholes at the surf spots

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's good and bad about living stateside.

the good:
more shit to do
Hockey
Motorsports

the bad:
more traffic to deal with
more assholes at the surf spots

WAIT! Are you saying there are more assholes at surf spots in the Continental US? I always thought it was the other way around! I mean, I've run across some dick heads in Santa Cruz but I always heard it was far worse to come across locals in Hawaii when you're not one.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I hear Australians are the WORST when it comes to being territorial about their spots.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAIT! Are you saying there are more assholes at surf spots in the Continental US? I always thought it was the other way around! I mean, I've run across some dick heads in Santa Cruz but I always heard it was far worse to come across locals in Hawaii when you're not one.

I've got a brother in law that surfs ONLY Manhattan beach. they have a tight knit group there, but are a really cool bunch of older guys. some of the other spots are just being overrun with cliques of young fucked up wannabe surfers. The crowd issue over there is getting out of hand year after year.

Here in Hawaii, it is not as bad as you think, or as how movies portray us. As long as you show respect and know the unwritten code of being a waterman, than you won't get chased off. In Cali, the vibe is different, as soon as you paddle out, you get fucked up looks and get threatened, if you're not a local. There is no "Aloha" in those waters.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I hear Australians are the WORST when it comes to being territorial about their spots.

VERY TRUE!

If you ever have a chance, "Bra Boys" is an excellent documentary film about that.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird. I was always treated very nicely. Maybe it's different cause I'm a girl though? I also wasn't hitting up any crazy spots. I'm not very good so I tried not to go somewhere that was too intense for me.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see your concept raising the intensity tenfold over shoot outs

right! Think of how intense OT is in the playoffs. if fans are so in love with the shootout, maybe have a shoot-out after every game, and count that point in some other column of the standings, maybe use it only as a tie-breaker or something. Or offer a standings point for every ten shoot-out wins. never mind. that’s a bad idea. I'll shut up.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally saw it. In the theater. I know those boys are meatheads and bad but they sure are cute!

sickness!

surfing is life!

I've got to hit the sack. I have a 2 month old girl that I stay home with while the wife works. AND a 2 year old girl that I take to preschool.

See you all tomorrow.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sickness!

surfing is life!

I've got to hit the sack. I have a 2 month old girl that I stay home with while the wife works. AND a 2 year old girl that I take to preschool.

See you all tomorrow.

I used to work at a surf shop after high school. One of the O'Neill shops. I should really try and get back into it but I don't have a board or wetsuit anymore. Someday I'll start again!

Yeah, I gotta go to bed too. Work in the morning! See ya Clarky and Nate and whoever else might be around.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
if Hazel Mae could teach a broadcast journalism course/seminar it would be called

"How to successfully blow a powerful sports tv network executive in the bathroom of the Toronto Keg Mansion to go from Keg Hostess that night to sports anchor the next day"

im sure some dudes would sign up for it too
One Hazel Mae and Daru Dhillon sandwich, please.

I wouldn't know if the drills are similar to hockey as I've never played hockey before. We usually end practices with suicide runs though. Every sport does that, right?
what are suicide runs? We used to have to run the gauntlet, which was basically the entire team lining up about 3 feet from the boards, about 5 feet apart. Your job was to go through the line, as each one throws a bodycheck. after 5 or so, it got pretty damned tough to get any momentum going again.

bag skates were the worst though. "OK boys, no pucks today" *fuck*
I went to a couple of training camps where they started off with a bag skate, which didn't end until one person puked. That person was cut.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are suicide runs? We used to have to run the gauntlet, which was basically the entire team lining up about 3 feet from the boards, about 5 feet apart. Your job was to go through the line, as each one throws a bodycheck. after 5 or so, it got pretty damned tough to get any momentum going again.

bag skates were the worst though. "OK boys, no pucks today" *fuck*
I went to a couple of training camps where they started off with a bag skate, which didn't end until one person puked. That person was cut.

We do that gauntlet thing all the time. Except we do it with the line skating forward so you have to catch back up every time you hit someone. The line never stops moving.

Suicide runs are where you set up cones at different points on the floor. You skate to one, stop, skate back to the start line, stop, skate to the second cone, stop, skate back to the start line, stop, skate to the third line, stop, skate to the fourth cone, etc etc. Everything is all fine and dandy at first but by the time you get to to the seventh or eighth cone, it's torture.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
We do that gauntlet thing all the time. Except we do it with the line skating forward so you have to catch back up every time you hit someone. The line never stops moving.

Suicide runs are where you set up cones at different points on the floor. You skate to one, stop, skate back to the start line, stop, skate to the second cone, stop, skate back to the start line, stop, skate to the third line, stop, skate to the fourth cone, etc etc. Everything is all fine and dandy at first but by the time you get to to the seventh or eighth cone, it's torture.

oh OK... yeah, those suck. I don't know if we had a name for them. They were a big part of the bag-skate.

another drill that was killer.... half team in each corner, race to the offside face-off dot, and race to a puck that was in the middle on the blueline. 1st place had a breakaway, 2nd place was supposed to backcheck. That one quickly devolved into a massive collision in between the dots, and the survivor got an uncontested breakaway. :L

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wresteled, and we had a drill called "walls", just thinking about them make my legs hurt. The room was about 30 feet long, and the exersize was just run to the wall and back. But it would start at 10 walls in 1:15, then 9 walls in 1:07, all the way to 1 wall in 5 seconds, then all the way back up again to 10 in 1:15. If anyone didn't make it, we would have to start over. Everyone hated the heavyweights because they would atleast miss 2 or 3 times.

Edit: Oh, and the room was around 95 degrees all the time. And if the coach didn't like the way we were looking he would say his 4 favorite words: "GET ON THE WALL"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to work at a surf shop after high school. One of the O'Neill shops. I should really try and get back into it but I don't have a board or wetsuit anymore. Someday I'll start again!

Yeah, I gotta go to bed too. Work in the morning! See ya Clarky and Nate and whoever else might be around.

If you ever come across the funds, you definitely should try stand up paddle-boarding. great workout, you don't need waves to enjoy the ocean or water. 50% of the year here it is flat as shit, gotta have a back up.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wresteled, and we had a drill called "walls", just thinking about them make my legs hurt. The room was about 30 feet long, and the exersize was just run to the wall and back. But it would start at 10 walls in 1:15, then 9 walls in 1:07, all the way to 1 wall in 5 seconds, then all the way back up again to 10 in 1:15. If anyone didn't make it, we would have to start over. Everyone hated the heavyweights because they would atleast miss 2 or 3 times.

Edit: Oh, and the room was around 95 degrees all the time. And if the coach didn't like the way we were looking he would say his 4 favorite words: "GET ON THE WALL"

its pays off though, gotta admit that.

Status
Not open for further replies.