• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT, Help me out with some PC problems my friends

sabre0917

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My PC has been running really slow. I have Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware and today I bought the program you see on TV Speedupmypc. It cost like 50 bucks for the top of the line system. I installed it and it still is running really slow.

My sister gave me her old laptop when I was in S Carolina that needs a new hard drive because it has errors on it. The computer is fine though. I think I better get this fixed incase mine crashes.

I have tried everything with this fucking PC of mine and it seems like there is a virus or something that these programs are not finding or fixing. I know my E-mail was hacked a month or so ago but it was slow even before then.

I have done a disk clean, defrag and cleaned out this history and such. Any Idea's?

I am not a computer geek by no means so go easy on me.

Thanks

Steve

Hey Boss,

First of all speedupmypc is a scam!!!!! There is nothing out there that you can install on a computer that will speed it up. It's almost like saying hey I have a Focus and if i install 93 gas im going to be just as fast as a Mustang. Total bull shit.

Second Norton slows down computers a ton and its expensive. Like someone else has said Microsoft Security Essentials is more then enough for the usual customer.

Third what OS do you have (ex. XP, Vista, 7) what are the specs of your computer and how much ram do you have?

Forth how many programs are running in the background....(Lower right hand corner) Depending on processor speed and ram will hinder the amount of programs you can run before you are maxing out the specs.

Open up windows taks manager and tab under performance and it should show you the percentage of youre computer that you are showing up.

All i can say really to speed up your computer is the reformate and reinstall or buy yourself a new computer with a better processor and a min. of 4 gigs of ram and a max of 8....8 is over kill but its kinda cheap.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got rid of Norton a few years ago as it was using up too much RAM or CPU. I think you need a really high end computer to run Norton (lots of RAM, fast CPU). I suggest disabling Norton and see if that possibly helps.

Are you referring to puckheads problem or mine? Doesn't matter I guess because it's easy enough to try for a bit and see what happens.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Boss,

First of all speedupmypc is a scam!!!!! There is nothing out there that you can install on a computer that will speed it up. It's almost like saying hey I have a Focus and if i install 93 gas im going to be just as fast as a Mustang. Total bull shit.

Second Norton slows down computers a ton and its expensive. Like someone else has said Microsoft Security Essentials is more then enough for the usual customer.

Third what OS do you have (ex. XP, Vista, 7) what are the specs of your computer and how much ram do you have?

Forth how many programs are running in the background....(Lower right hand corner) Depending on processor speed and ram will hinder the amount of programs you can run before you are maxing out the specs.

Open up windows taks manager and tab under performance and it should show you the percentage of youre computer that you are showing up.

All i can say really to speed up your computer is the reformate and reinstall or buy yourself a new computer with a better processor and a min. of 4 gigs of ram and a max of 8....8 is over kill but its kinda cheap.

Fortunately they say if you are not satisfied you can get your money back so I will go that route as well. I agree and would not recommend this to anyone.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say slow - all the time or just on the web?

Download, install & run this:
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download I checked this site it's not free.

How much RAM is installed? 3.20GHz 208MB OP Ram
-Go to control panel
-click system
-it's there

How full is the C drive?
-go to my computer
-right click on C drive
-click on properties
report back:
-capacity 95.252 88.7 GB
-free space 78.5
-used 10.1

I hope these numbers make sense. ?????

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope these numbers make sense. ?????

CCleaner is free - try this link CCleaner - Standard

double check the RAM, that doesn't sound right.

-Go to control panel
-click system
-it will read x.x GB of RAM <---

Hard drive has plenty of space, so that's not an issue.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CCleaner is free - try this link CCleaner - Standard

double check the RAM, that doesn't sound right.

-Go to control panel
-click system
-it will read x.x GB of RAM <---

Hard drive has plenty of space, so that's not an issue.

It says CPU 3.20 GHz
3.20GHz 208 MB OF Ram

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your first response through me - How much RAM is installed? 3.20GHz 208MB OP Ram, the OP should have been of

To get 208 MB is only possible one way (or some version of below) -
Most computers that are not custom-built utilize so-called "integrated graphics," where a chip on the motherboard takes the place of an actual graphics card and system RAM is withheld due to the lack of dedicated memory for graphical rendering. It sounds like the system has 256MB of RAM with 48MB being allocated to the integrated graphics, which explains it being 'missing' according to System Properties.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your first response through me - How much RAM is installed? 3.20GHz 208MB OP Ram, the OP should have been of

To get 208 MB is only possible one way (or some version of below) -

Sorry about that. My typos and grammar are famous and not in a flattering way. :o

Thanks for the help.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YAHOOOOOO, My son just called (he is kind of a PC geek) and said he can fix my laptop so I may take this POS I'm using and toss it out the window!!!!

Anyone want a PC that runs slower than shit?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want a PC that runs slower than shit?

I asked Boss to e-mail me a picture. Just in case anyone else is interested...

Commodore-64-Computer-System.jpg