• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: 6th grader brings gun to school

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the sake of keeping people away from the craziness of the political board:

6th-grader brings gun to school to protect against ?Connecticut-style? attack | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Two of the 11-year-old's classmates told their teacher on Monday afternoon that the student had a gun. The teacher immediately "apprehended" the student and contacted the authorities, Horsley said. The boy is being charged with one count of possession of a firearm on school property and three counts of aggravated assault, for allegedly threatening some of his classmates.

...and it begins. :L

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond words

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really don't have too many conversations on this board about politics or crazy nonsense like this, but i am interested in hearing your opinions of what you guys think about this.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous, the parents need to be held reliable for not keeping there firearms secure. By all means though if you things guns need to be banned you are an idiot.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous, the parents need to be held reliable for not keeping there firearms secure. By all means though if you things guns need to be banned you are an idiot.

It wouldn't matter if they were. People would still find a way to do stupid shit like this.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, banning guns would only create more problems

I'm sensing some major sarcasm. I'm not against having gun regulations, but there are always loopholes for those who really want to get their hands on them.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Word. All the responsible gun owners I've ever known have kept their firearms locked in gun safes.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Huge gun rights guy. I only own two, but they are unloaded with a trigger lock on both and I don't have kids... Yet. (may 21st that changes) i understand where people come from when they want to ban guns. Nobody likes to hear about children getting killed. The the proof is in the pudding. Criminals don't follow laws otherwise, they wouldnt be criminals. Also, do you know the amount of mass shootings that have been stopped from law abidding concealed carry owners? Google it. If I am ever in that situation, I pray there are law abiding civilians carrying to help protect me, my family, and everyone else.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't matter if they were. People would still find a way to do stupid shit like this.

I would matter. All countries with sensible gun control laws don't have anywhere near the problem we do here.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it the laws or the people? Come on.

Both. I agree with you that a lot of it is our "gun" culture. Gun control, strictly enforced, works. Its been shown time after time in almost every other country in the civilized world.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both. I agree with you that a lot of it is our "gun" culture. Gun control, strictly enforced, works. Its been shown time after time in almost every other country in the civilized world.

This will be my old man moment but it's sort of from the movie Friday. The problem today is folks grow up as pussies. They are not mentally tough enough and when they reach a critical point they turn to guns. I am not talking about the ones that are actually mentally ill, just the general public.

I really think a bit of it has to do with our culture's need to coddle and prop people up, even as children. Kids should learn that in life not everyone wins. Not everyone gets to be a star. Everyone has the chance but it's a combination of hard work, talent, and luck that determines your station in life. Instead of realizing and accepting this, we try to tell kids "Oh, it's ok as long as you try. Everyone is a winner. Don't worry, if you want something you deserve it; even if you didn't earn it. everything is someone else's fault." That bullshit is why our country is spiralling downwards...that and reality TV. So now, when someone feels like they've been disrespected, or didn't get what they "deserve", or weren't hugged enough; they like to find bullets.

Suck it up, deal with it and move on. (not directed at TT, just a general message.)
/rant over...for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't support a complete gun ban, I do think there needs to be new restrictions. I think there should probably be a ban on all semi automatic clip fed rifles, and probably pistols too. Revolvers, shot guns, and bolt action are ok. Really why would someone need a 100 round barrel clip for their rifle?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would matter. All countries with sensible gun control laws don't have anywhere near the problem we do here.

Taking away guns would stop the violence, huh?

Tell that to:

Tomothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols - Oklahoma City bombers
The 9/11 hijackers - flew into the WTC
Rodney Coronado - firebombed Michigan St
The KKK - hangings, among other atrocities
Eric Rudolph - 1996 Atlanta Olympics bomber
Ramzi Yousef - 1993 WTC bomber

I would be more than happy to continue, but I hope you've already begun to understand my point. The mentally unstable, or religious fanatics, will always find a way to inflict mass damage as long as our nation's media glorifies mass murderers.

Why do you think that within 4 days of the attack on Sandy Hook Elementary (trying to forget the killer's name) that there were 3 shootings & a threat on the Newton church? Could it be that a handful of bad apples in a nation of 300+ million saw how much publicity and infamy came from the actions of 1 fuckhead and decided to see what damage they could do?

We are living in an age where Pat Robertson says Hurricane Katrina happened because God was wiping out gays, and where the Westboro Baptist Church pickets Sandy Hook Elementary to proclaim that God caused the murderous rampage in Newton, CT, because God doesn't like America's increasingly secular lifestyle (re: gays)?

I want to say get your head out of your ass (shit, I just did... no wonder the politics board is awful), but really, instead of scapegoating guns, we as a nation must ask ourselves *WHY* America sees so many more murderous rampages as compared to other countries. I'm no fan of Michael Moore, infact I can't stand him, but in Bowling for Columbine he makes a good point contrasting the gun cultures of America and Canada. Canadians have a LOT of guns, but they do not see even remotely the same number of murders that America does. Not just gun murders, but murders in general. There is no question that part of that is because Canada's media/entertainment industry do not hype violence on the news and in films in the way that America does. So much of our entertainment in the U.S. is about murder that we as a society become desensitized to violence and death.

I have personally been shot at twice (2012 Giants WS parade, 2008 Oakland), had to defend myself by grabbing the blade of a knife to stop a crackhead from stabbing me, and have been jumped by groups for being in the "wrong" neighborhood, or for walking a black woman to her house... we live in a violent society, and crazy people are going to find ways to inflict harm regardless of whether or not guns are legal.

I remember years ago seeing someone I knew walking down the street in North Oakland holding a Chinese AK-47... where did he get it? Off a ship from Asia that docked the port of Oakland. Scapegoating guns is to ignore the larger problems of inequality and (sorry, fellas) racism* that plague our society.

(*note: don't mean racism as a black/white thing, as I've seen racism directed towards anyone who isn't the same nationality, or same subsection of nationality, such as Mandarin vs Cantonese speakers)

I await your response.

Last edited by a moderator:

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of surprised this made the news. When I was in 7th grade a 6th grader brought a gun to school and i dont think anyone really remembers that anymore because nobody really made a big deal about it.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of surprised this made the news. When I was in 7th grade a 6th grader brought a gun to school and i dont think anyone really remembers that anymore because nobody really made a big deal about it.

Same. When I was in 6th grade an 8th grader brought a gun to school and showed it off to friends in the bathroom. Apparently it was full of blanks and he fired once at the bathroom wall. His friends snitched him out and he got expelled, but it didn't make the news.