• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orioles To Acquire Gerardo Parra for Zach Davies

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles have agreed to acquire Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (via Twitter). Prospect Zach Davies will go to Milwaukee in return. The deal is done pending medical evaluations.

Milwaukee drew fairly wide interest in Parra, though other teams with reported interest (such as the Angels) had already opted to move for other pieces. The club had been hoping to add two prospects in exchange for Parra, but ultimately decide to take one more highly regarded prospect from Baltimore, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel tweets.

It’s been a career-year thus far for the 28-year-old, who owns a .328/.369/.517 slash over 351 plate appearances. He’s added nine home runs and nine steals as well. While Parra has graded surprisingly poorly in the outfield, he has a sterling reputation in that regard and has generally received above-average ratings from metrics.

If teams believed that level of production was sustainable, of course, Parra would have drawn much more interest. But his track record suggests he’s more of a league-average bat, and he has benefited quite a bit from a .372 BABIP.

Regardless, Parra looks like a quality rental piece for a contender — he’ll be a free agent after the season — and Baltimore will be the one to take the plunge. Though the O’s already have left-handed-hitting platoon outfielders in Travis Snider and David Lough, but both have been underwhelming.

Baltimore had to part with its eighth-rated prospect, per Baseball America’s mid-season ranking (subscription link), to get the deal done. He’s not an overpowering pitcher, but gets by on finesse and is near to the big leagues, per BA’s Josh Leventhal. Davies has posted excellent results this year at Triple-A, racking up 101 1/3 innings of 2.84 ERA pitching with 7.2 K/9 against 2.9 BB/9.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
steep price in my mind . hey we can't keep them all .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I agree but I guess yesterday they wanted 2 prospects. Guess no one was willing to give that up.
davies was highier on the list . wow brewers have hader and davies . cubs talking about hunter go boom boom

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewers fire sale continues!

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do like the trade a speedster with high avg at the top of the order .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm shocked the red sox haven't done it also .

Well the only guys that are free agents at the end of this year really is Napoli. Could probably get something for koji but he's not a free agent.

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do like the trade a speedster with high avg at the top of the order .
Ditto, but I was higher on Revere. Parra has more pop though. Don't like getting rid of Davies for what will probably only be a rental for a potential 1-game playoff but I suppose you have to give up something that's not helping at the big-league level now for something that will...

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ditto, but I was higher on Revere. Parra has more pop though. Don't like getting rid of Davies for what will probably only be a rental for a potential 1-game playoff but I suppose you have to give up something that's not helping at the big-league level now for something that will...
We aren't done trading. Revere still on the O's radar.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewers fire sale continues!

giphy.gif