• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orioles OF Adam Jones claims fan at AT&T threw Banana at him

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,303.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles outfielder Adam Jones had plenty to be pleased about following Baltimore's 10-2 road victory over the Giants, but a possible racially motivated incident forced the All-Star to take to Twitter to voice his displeasure.

"I want to thank whatever slapd--- threw that banana towards my direction in CF in the last inning. Way to show ur class u jacka--," Jones tweeted to his more than 129,000 followers.

Jones, who is black, went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBIs Sunday.

Jim Moorehead, the Giants' senior director of media relations, told The Baltimore Sun on Sunday night that the Giants received no reports of an incident involving anything being throw on to the field in the bottom of the ninth inning. Moorehead however told the Sun that the Giants will review security footage Monday.

Throwing a banana in the direction of a black player is considered a racist action and has taken place previously in the NHL as well as in European soccer.

Source: ESPN

dandydOnS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw this on deadspin. my favorite comment someone made was 'whats luke scott doing at a giant's game?'

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles outfielder Adam Jones had plenty to be pleased about following Baltimore's 10-2 road victory over the Giants, but a possible racially motivated incident forced the All-Star to take to Twitter to voice his displeasure.

"I want to thank whatever slapd--- threw that banana towards my direction in CF in the last inning. Way to show ur class u jacka--," Jones tweeted to his more than 129,000 followers.

Jones, who is black, went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBIs Sunday.

Jim Moorehead, the Giants' senior director of media relations, told The Baltimore Sun on Sunday night that the Giants received no reports of an incident involving anything being throw on to the field in the bottom of the ninth inning. Moorehead however told the Sun that the Giants will review security footage Monday.

Throwing a banana in the direction of a black player is considered a racist action and has taken place previously in the NHL as well as in European soccer.

Source: ESPN
so maybe the guy:omg: was sitting in cf and just threw it on the field ? so it would be ok to throw the banana in lf or rf be ok ? maybe they don't like greeks if it went to lf . this is stupid !!!!!!!! no matter what but media makes more out of everything than it is .

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so maybe the guy:omg: was sitting in cf and just threw it on the field ? so it would be ok to throw the banana in lf or rf be ok ? maybe they don't like greeks if it went to lf . this is stupid !!!!!!!! no matter what but media makes more out of everything than it is .

Sounds like it was done with some intent and the person thought they were being funny. I mean, who the $*#*k has a banana at a baseball game normally?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like it was done with some intent and the person thought they were being funny. I mean, who the $*#*k has a banana at a baseball game normally?
when i see aj swing at balls low and away makes me want to throw things myself !!!! lol

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tedman...throwing a banana at a black man is a racist gesture...throwing a banana at a white man...is not...

It really is that simple.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6286d1376340867-8-11-gdt-black-%40-orange-ajones.jpg

Wow - seems the fan has some class after all :

link to story

Alexander Poulides flipped on the news Monday afternoon and saw a story about the outcry surrounding the Giants fan who threw an object at Baltimore Orioles outfielder Adam Jones.

His heart sank.

"Oh, my god,'' Poulides said. "I threw a banana on my way out."

Poulides, 42, said he grabbed a banana off a catering cart and hurled it toward the field in disgust at the Giants near the end of a 10-2 loss at AT&T Park on Sunday. The banana apparently sailed toward Jones, who tweeted about the incident after the game.

As the Giants launched an investigation, Poulides reached The Mercury News via e-mail and subsequent phone call to claim credit for what he called "an indiscretion."

Above all, Poulides stressed repeatedly that the incident was not a racially motivated, as some had speculated. He was upset at the Giants, not Jones.

"I'm embarrassed and shocked by the outcome,'' the Northern California resident said. "In hindsight, I wish I didn't do it and I apologize. I'm very sorry."

{more in the link}

Mystery solved.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants fans are an embarrassment and reflect the antics of the team they cheer for. It's a true pleasure in life to see them in the division cellar.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tedman...throwing a banana at a black man is a racist gesture...throwing a banana at a white man...is not...

It really is that simple.

well i think this isn't the 60's . media gets to excited about little things . i heard just this week at our school board meeting that they need to hire more black teachers per a black pastor . i would love to see more teachers we have k classes 21-1 i would love to see them hire more teachers !!!! if they are good i don't give a dam what color or race they are if they are bad i hate the person not the race . :doh:

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i think this isn't the 60's . media gets to excited about little things . i heard just this week at our school board meeting that they need to hire more black teachers per a black pastor . i would love to see more teachers we have k classes 21-1 i would love to see them hire more teachers !!!! if they are good i don't give a dam what color or race they are if they are bad i hate the person not the race . :doh:

In theory, I agree with you that a teacher's ability is far more important than race / ethnicity. In practice, though, there are good reasons for increasing the representation of minorities within the faculty (see the "Case Studies and Search" section).

Last edited by a moderator:

Zephyrus001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mystery solved.

Bullshit. If the guy was just grabbing something to throw in disgust off of a catering cart, why was it a banana thrown in Jones' direction and not some other obscure item? Jones hitting a 3-run dinger to put the game out of reach in the 9th didn't have anything to do with that, huh?

If anything the only 'mystery solved' is the intended racial slur to insult a black player that helped bury his team and that racist asshole's weak attempt to cover it up. :tsk::lame:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. If the guy was just grabbing something to throw in disgust off of a catering cart, why was it a banana thrown in Jones' direction and not some other obscure item? Jones hitting a 3-run dinger to put the game out of reach in the 9th didn't have anything to do with that, huh?

If anything the only 'mystery solved' is the intended racial slur to insult a black player that helped bury his team and that racist asshole's weak attempt to cover it up. :tsk::lame:
they need to ban the banana from sf park ! wonder how much they get for that at a ball park ?

dandydOnS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You 'need' to face reality and drop the smokescreen. Racism will never go away in this country -- baseball game or not.

i agree, its a lot of coincidences to believe that a guy was walking away upset, saw a random banana on a catering stand, grabbed it and threw it close to the only black guy in the outfield after he hit a homer. its the same thing a lot of racist people do around the world at stadium events. i dont think the giants should face any discipline over this besides objects thrown onto the field type stuff but i think we should all realize that if you throw a banana at a black player its because youre a piece of shit.

gtn130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need to ban the banana from sf park ! wonder how much they get for that at a ball park ?

If you ban the bananas then only the bad guys will have them