• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oregon football

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing about whether Oregon needs to win tonight in order to become "elite" and it seems most people tend to agree with that statement. Just wanted to put my opinion out there and see what others think.

Oregon is an elite program, even with a loss tonight. They've been one of if not the most dominant team outside of Alabama in the last probably 7-8 years. Their consistency is something that most teams would love. Georgia is consistently above average and never really competing for titles. Oregon is always in the hunt. They went to 4 straight BCS bowls.

I can't see how they're not considered "elite" if they lose today. They're not historical, they're not tradition, but they're elite and they will continue to be. Alabama is elite, Ohio State is elite. Are there really a whole lot more teams more "elite" than the Oregon Ducks or do I not understand the meaning of elite?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite team vs elite program is probably what they mean. Oregon has had some pretty elite teams, but the program itself needs more trophies to take the program itself to the next level.

If Oregon can win the NC, it will be huge for the program.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've been nationally relevant since 2009, for about decade before that they were okay, for a century before that they were a consistant doormat.

With the Nike support they have they probably won't go away an time soon, but I think the general thought is they need to put in some more time before they are considered one of college football's 'elite' programs.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget...

Oregon beat Ohio State in a champ game already...CBB in 39' wasn't it? First one I believe.

Interesting the two meet again under another "first" playoff CF Champ Game.

Go figure.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be elite if you don't win it all

No one talks about the 90s Bills except when referencing futility

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno
I think they will be forever kicking themselves if they don't win a title in this window

USC is the dominant west coast power. Oregon had a window to win while USC was hampered.
They were on probation and flailing around with a limited roster.

USC returns a likely preseason top 5-10 team PLUS an insane recruiting class.
The years of USC not being able to practice in full pads are over. They can stockpile talent again.

There is no guarantee that Oregon can maintain its PAC-12 dominance simply because USC can load up with a zillion 5 star NFL players again.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno
I think they will be forever kicking themselves if they don't win a title in this window

USC is the dominant west coast power. Oregon had a window to win while USC was hampered.

The years of USC not being able to practice in full pads are over. They can stockpile talent again.

There is no guarantee that Oregon can maintain its PAC-12 dominance simply because USC can load up with a zillion 5 star NFL players again.

Lets not act like USC received the death penalty and had to play nothing but walk ons the entire time they were on probation. Per Rivals USC had the #1 class in 2010, #4 in 2011, #8 in 2012, #13 in 2013 and #10 last year. Oregon has a money man now that is dedicated to keeping Oregon football at an elite status. USC's sanctions didn't have that big of an impact as USC fans want you to think. USC has just been an average program the last 4-5 years and playing average ball lately. I still think Oregon and Stanford will run the Pac. Sark is no Carroll; not even close or comparable.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not act like USC received the death penalty and had to play nothing but walk ons the entire time they were on probation. Per Rivals USC had the #1 class in 2010, #4 in 2011, #8 in 2012, #13 in 2013 and #10 last year. Oregon has a money man now that is dedicated to keeping Oregon football at an elite status. USC's sanctions didn't have that big of an impact as USC fans want you to think. USC has just been an average program the last 4-5 years and playing average ball lately. I still think Oregon and Stanford will run the Pac. Sark is no Carroll; not even close or comparable.

This post is so chock full of wrong that it doesn't even warrant any more of a response than this: :exes:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post is so chock full of wrong that it doesn't even warrant any more of a response than this: :exes:

Yeah, USC has been suffering so much while they were on probation pulling in top ten classes. GMAFB, your program has just been sucking big time just like ours.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, USC has been suffering so much while they were on probation pulling in top ten classes. GMAFB, your program has just been sucking big time just like ours.

USC has spent the majority of the last 2 seasons with only 50-55 scholarship players available. Yes, we've pulled in top 10 classes of about 15 recruits while everyone else, Texas included, has been having a full compliment of 25 schollies.

You do understand what the word depth means, right? If our frontline players got hurt, it was either freshmen, redshirt freshmen and even walk-on's replacing them. Many of the freshmen used would have been redshirted under normal circumstances.

There were many times USC couldn't even practice in pads because our numbers were so low that we couldn't risk someone getting hurt in practice. Texas hasn't had to deal with anything like that. Yet, over the time of the sanctions, USC gone 44-21 with no losing seasons while Texas has gone 36-28 with 2 losing seasons. So clearly, we have not sucked just like Texas.

Your :exes: is well earned.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno

Does the outcome of the game tonight change anything for Oregon though?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC has spent the majority of the last 2 seasons with only 50-55 scholarship players available. Yes, we've pulled in top 10 classes of about 15 recruits while everyone else, Texas included, has been having a full compliment of 25 schollies.

You do understand what the word depth means, right? If our frontline players got hurt, it was either freshmen, redshirt freshmen and even walk-on's replacing them. Many of the freshmen used would have been redshirted under normal circumstances.

There were many times USC couldn't even practice in pads because our numbers were so low that we couldn't risk someone getting hurt in practice. Texas hasn't had to deal with anything like that. Yet, over the time of the sanctions, USC gone 44-21 with no losing seasons while Texas has gone 36-28 with 2 losing seasons. So clearly, we have not sucked just like Texas.

Your :exes: is well earned.

LOL, your coaching has sucked. Has nothing to do with depth. Keep believing a lack of depth is the reason USC has lost to the likes ps WAZZU, Oregon St., Boston College, etc over the years.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC had solid recruiting classes because they pulled ELITE frontline talent..but smallish classes.

They had zero depth. And that was a HUGE issue.

That hurts in practice more than anything. You cannot go full-on with a limited roster.

With a full roster, I think the Trojans will be a dominant world class superpower again soon..if not next season.

That is why OREGON needs to make this "USC down" window produce at least one trophy.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are flash, not elite.

They've spent money to make headlines.

They've not won the coveted championship.

Hell they just got their first Heisman winner.

Their working on building an elite program but they have a long way to go and should they win tonight , it will take more than one national title to make them elite.

With all that said I don't think today's players give a shit about tradition, they want flash and Oregon pretty much leads in that category.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC had solid recruiting classes because they pulled ELITE frontline talent..but smallish classes.

They had zero depth. And that was a HUGE issue.

That hurts in practice more than anything. You cannot go full-on with a limited roster.

With a full roster, I think the Trojans will be a dominant world class superpower again soon..if not next season.

That is why OREGON needs to make this "USC down" window produce at least one trophy.

Not likely to be next season. We should be good, but depth and inexperience will still be an issue (not as bad though) because we still won't have a full 85. 2016 is when we should start to be back to full strength.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, your coaching has sucked. Has nothing to do with depth. Keep believing a lack of depth is the reason USC has lost to the likes ps WAZZU, Oregon St., Boston College, etc over the years.

You have hijacked this thread for the sole purpose of embarrassing yourself enough. If you'd like to continue to embarrass yourself on this subject, then go start a new thread. I and others will be there to help you to continue embarrassing yourself. :exes: