• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't he just get a vote of confidence?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooh, is it time for another rebuild?

When you're essentially a max cap team who would be cap max if not for off-loading a couple guys at the deadline and you're one of only 7 teams that didn't make the playoffs, that's a pretty good indication of the performance of the GM.

When your two defining transactions are trading Ryan O'Reilly for a bag of magic beans only to watch him win a Cup, Conn Smythe, and Selke the next year and signing Jeff Skinner to one of the league's worst contracts, it's going to reflect on the GM. I'll give him credit for getting Skinner for the same beans, but he blew that goodwill in a hurry.

I would argue that Detroit and San Jose are the only two teams in the league with a worse combination of cap and performance.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Eichel needs a change of scenery and while I don't have any magic beans, my brother-in-law has some magic cucumbers to lure him to Calgary.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Eichel needs a change of scenery and while I don't have any magic beans, my brother-in-law has some magic cucumbers to lure him to Calgary.
Statistically he was actually having his best season yet and probably would have hit 40 goals this year had they played out the season. It's become trendy to pick on him in Buffalo, but he's the only one of our big ticket (salary wise) guys who isn't falling short of expectations.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically he was actually having his best season yet and probably would have hit 40 goals this year had they played out the season. It's become trendy to pick on him in Buffalo, but he's the only one of our big ticket (salary wise) guys who isn't falling short of expectations.
On the one hand, what’s happened in Buffalo on the ice is not at all on Eichel. He’s one of the best players in the league.

On the other, there’s a good possibility he’s not the greatest teammate. He sure does seem to have an outsized say in the front office.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the one hand, what’s happened in Buffalo on the ice is not at all on Eichel. He’s one of the best players in the league.

On the other, there’s a good possibility he’s not the greatest teammate. He sure does seem to have an outsized say in the front office.

To be fair he has had a lot of inaction to complain about.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not meant to be a knock on Eichel as I agree with BBB that he is a great player. That said, if the Sabres win the draft lottery and select McDavid, I just think they would be in much better shape currently.

/It's like the 1970 wheel spin that landed the Sabres Gilbert Perreault and the Canucks Dale Tallon.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
/It's like the 1970 wheel spin that landed the Sabres Gilbert Perreault and the Canucks Dale Tallon.

I just read recently that there were separate lotteries for 1970 Amateur draft and Expansion draft.
Of course the Canucks lost them both.

You would think if one team won the Amateur draft, the other team would default to first in expansion draft.
but nope, lets have a scenario where a team has the opportunity to be fucked both ways!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely but a star player with the owner’s ear can make a GM’s job much more difficult and lead him to make some moves based on that pressure that he otherwise wouldn’t have.

Agreed. Just saying it might not be as much him constantly going to the top of the chain as it is legitimately bitching about the situation, especially if he's been given certain promises by ownership.

And it's easy to see how his frustration is growing exponentially. I know I wouldn't be cool constantly wasting prime years through no fault of mine.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not meant to be a knock on Eichel as I agree with BBB that he is a great player. That said, if the Sabres win the draft lottery and select McDavid, I just think they would be in much better shape currently.

I mean I get that Perreault isn't quite McDavid either but don't compare Jack Eichel to Dale Tallon, yuck :wink:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I get that Perreault isn't quite McDavid either but don't compare Jack Eichel to Dale Tallon, yuck :wink:

Well, Jack Eichel hasn't physically destroyed a fax machine as far as I know, so he's got that going for him.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After watching Edmonton, I'm not sure they would be. McDavid is a better player hands down and yet the Oilers still missed the POs in 3 of his 5 seasons. And that's adding in all of the other top-3 picks that they had over the years and having Draisatl grow into an Art Ross winner and Hart candidate.

I guess my point being ultimately that the degree of incompetence in filling in around the star pick has been so great that I think even McDavid would only have taken them from a lottery team to a borderline wildcard team.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as a side note, I will readily admit that I thought signing Draisaitl to that 8/68 deal was a huge overpayment at the time. If he can keep playing as he is - or hell, just avoid a significant regression, that contract is going to look like one of the league's best in another year or two.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my point being ultimately that the degree of incompetence in filling in around the star pick has been so great that I think even McDavid would only have taken them from a lottery team to a borderline wildcard team.

And Elliotte says Botterill was just the beginning....

Status
Not open for further replies.