• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't go through all of the naughty Screenshots, but what did Leipsic say outside of whatever women they were talking about are fat and ugly? Honestly, I find this sort of thing completely fucking wild.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
95e8iba4eby41.jpg

Reactions: gob

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't go through all of the naughty Screenshots, but what did Leipsic say outside of whatever women they were talking about are fat and ugly? Honestly, I find this sort of thing completely fucking wild.

I mean, I have no doubt that there are plenty of conversations that NHL players have along the same vein of the Leipsic one and of course the big difference here was this one was released on-line for all to see. It does speak to the entitlement culture that hockey players grow up with that they can do or say nothing wrong because they have some skills on the ice. Leipsic is an easy target because he's a fringe NHLer and can easily be replaced. If a star player was caught making the same derogatory comments of player's wives or of former teammates, would the team and league be as quick to act? I'd like to think the answer is yes, but I'm not so sure.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I have no doubt that there are plenty of conversations that NHL players have along the same vein of the Leipsic one and of course the big difference here was this one was released on-line for all to see. It does speak to the entitlement culture that hockey players grow up with that they can do or say nothing wrong because they have some skills on the ice. Leipsic is an easy target because he's a fringe NHLer and can easily be replaced. If a star player was caught making the same derogatory comments of player's wives or of former teammates, would the team and league be as quick to act? I'd like to think the answer is yes, but I'm not so sure.

It's just wild that this is where we're at in society. Eddie can get arrested multiple times in his career and it's "oh that Belfour!" Kane punches a cabby and he's still one of the faces of the league.

...dude who is not as good at sportsball as those two calls some chicks fat and gets "cancelled" for it. Honestly, the worst part about it for me is calling his teammates "losers".

Fucking wild.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just wild that this is where we're at in society. Eddie can get arrested multiple times in his career and it's "oh that Belfour!" Kane punches a cabby and he's still one of the faces of the league.

...dude who is not as good at sportsball as those two calls some chicks fat and gets "cancelled" for it. Honestly, the worst part about it for me is calling his teammates "losers".

Fucking wild.

I guess the NHL sort of set the ground work for this stuff with the Sloppy Seconds stuff though. Suspending Avery for that was just as incredible.

...meanwhile, there's constant clamouring for NHLers to be less robotic...and the "spittin chiclets" podcast is huge in hockey circles, including with the hockey media.

The NHL and it's culture has the biggest identity crisis ever right now.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fucking wild.
Yes society and perception has changed and probably for the better.
And as you pointed out and the same as Dash you would hope star players would be treated the same but we know they wouldn't. A slap on the wrist would be the amount of discipline they would get.

And what I mean by changing for the better....Use Billy Tibbetts as an example no way today he would have been given that many opportunities.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fucking wild.

Misogyny that goes on the record will be met very harshly by any corporate entity. Rightfully so. Not because of any moral outrage or ethical high ground, but because demeaning comments about women offends women (~52% of the population) and many men. It offends a large swathe of potential paying customers. It affects the bottom line. I don't mean to be cynical but the NHL is not going to let a walking fuck stain like Brendan Leipsic scare away even one paying customer. To paraphrase @dash ; if it was Sidney Crosby, or the likes of, I wonder if the consequences would have been the same. I doubt it.

Getting drunk and being an ass (Belfour) is unlikely to scare away potential ticket buyers. So he sticks around. Even strangling a cabbie over 20 cents doesn't enrage a known demographic, so Kane (who is also a star) gets a bit of a pass.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Misogyny that goes on the record will be met very harshly by any corporate entity. Rightfully so. Not because of any moral outrage or ethical high ground, but because demeaning comments about women offends women (~52% of the population) and many men. It offends a large swathe of potential paying customers. It affects the bottom line. I don't mean to be cynical but the NHL is not going to let a walking fuck stain like Brendan Leipsic scare away even one paying customer. To paraphrase @dash ; if it was Sidney Crosby, or the likes of, I wonder if the consequences would have been the same. I doubt it.

Getting drunk and being an ass (Belfour) is unlikely to scare away potential ticket buyers. So he sticks around. Even strangling a cabbie over 20 cents doesn't enrage a known demographic, so Kane (who is also a star) gets a bit of a pass.

Oh, I get it. The whole "Woke" culture and such nowadays. It's just wild because you can use "fat/ugly chick" as the setup/execution for a joke in a sitcom and it will generate a laugh. So, there's an implication that the whole "fat chick" joke is funny in society. However, if you bring that joke, that people find funny...and use it in the real world, even in a private conversation, it becomes "misogyny".

...but if you commit actual, physical violence, EA Sports will throw you on the cover.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to get my son to give me his Optik 2s when he goes away to college.

Probably my favorite current set, with the GNetik's right after that. Been obsessed with Brians since the Demon days.

As I shlub away in my damn Koho/Reebok crap.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes society and perception has changed and probably for the better.
And as you pointed out and the same as Dash you would hope star players would be treated the same but we know they wouldn't. A slap on the wrist would be the amount of discipline they would get.

And what I mean by changing for the better....Use Billy Tibbetts as an example no way today he would have been given that many opportunities.

I've got a good buddy who grew up in Scituate so I remember this well. Billy was not a model for young adults, that is certain. I would say that (while it's probably not your intent/point here anyway) he's not particularly comparable to Leipsic though, Billy did a lot worse.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a good buddy who grew up in Scituate so I remember this well. Billy was not a model for young adults, that is certain. I would say that he's not particularly comparable to Leipsic though, Billy did a lot worse.
Yep.

What a "great" track record.
Age 17 - statutory r*pe
Age 18 - assault and battery with a deadly weapon
After this was not allowed to play in Canada being a registered sex offender.
In his 30's multiple high-speed chases
In 2019 - Harassment charge and Probation violations

And that is his rap sheet from a simple search. Who knows how much worse it really is.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

What a "great" track record.
Age 17 - statutory r*pe
Age 18 - assault and battery with a deadly weapon
After this was not allowed to play in Canada being a registered sex offender.
In his 30's multiple high-speed chases
In 2019 - Harassment charge and Probation violations

And that is his rap sheet from a simple search. Who knows how much worse it really is.

Even that description kinda undersells it in a way. It takes a different kind of individual to just pump a triple digit count of BBs into another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.