• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Nyquist got 6 games, got to think Vermette will get more than that, Attacking an official is a big time no no.

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Nyquist got 6 games, got to think Vermette will get more than that, Attacking an official is a big time no no.

Yeah, if Vermette's swing is classified a Class II violation that'd be a 10 game suspension, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was reduced after appeal. I think they got it right on Nyquist when you consider the retaliatory swing to the face but a lack of history. I was expecting 5-6 after the news came out that he'd been offered an in-person hearing.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always liked Tanguay. Colorado had 4 1st round picks in 1998, I think it can be argued Tanguay was the best of them all. (Maybe Robyn Regehr could have a case)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL Network just stated that the NHL has suspended Vermette only the 10 games.

Also, Tanguay is pretty good.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad it wasn't a secondary helper on the power play that got him the milestone.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on 1000 points Sid!!

It is fitting that Chris Kunitz got the goal.
aka...Guy who probably would have 150 less NHL goals if it wasn't for Crosby.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems fitting that Sid's 1000th was an assist to Kunitz. Would have been fun to see the reactions if it had been his next point (a secondary assist on the powerplay where Kessel and Letang passed it back and forth before Kessel sniped - Crosby not really involved at all).

But would have been even sweeter if this had been it:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL becoming more and more like MLS with every passing day - Rules on napkins.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Geno should be suspended for his hit, but he didn't even get a phone call.

Just my opinion, but I think this comes from the very top (aka Bettman). Suspensions are way down this season, but the number of suspendable incidents are not. Of course, the league is currently embroiled in the concussion lawsuit with former players and Bettman is certainly downplaying the link between head trauma and CTE every chance he gets. What better way for the league to show that they are making the game safer by stating the number of suspensions are down from previous seasons.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw at least three different people on NHL Network, etc. saying that they believed that Vermette was just giving the linesman shit for dropping the puck early. That it was just a tap to say "C'mon man".

I don't care the motivation. He hit a ref on purpose.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Geno should be suspended for his hit, but he didn't even get a phone call.

Yeah, I was honestly pretty surprised. There seemed like a few incidents that, in a perfect world, would merit review in that game, but Geno's was the most clear-cut. Pretty shocked he didn't even get a fine.

I'm in the age bracket where we grew up understanding concussions a bit more, and regularly see friends get concussed (either in sports or car accidents), to devastating effect. My sister-in-law had a concussion in a relatively minor fender bender, and a good friend skiing. The former hasn't worked for 15 months, and the latter just went back to work after missing about eight. Not only couldn't they work, they couldn't hang out with friends; at family gatherings, sister-in-law could barely make it through dinner before needing to lie down in a dark room. All to say, I'm not really interested in having my kids play sports that have no interest in protecting against head injuries, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. If the NHL (the most visible example) doesn't make a change, I wouldn't be surprised to see hockey participation drop (at least in Canada). It already is, from what I understand, and could further.

Status
Not open for further replies.