• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One more reason why the NBA has become a bad joke

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell will they even do this? Regulate minutes and injuries too. So you start your guys and pull them at the first time out. Claim they all tweaked their ankles getting off the bus and can't start. Would the Spurs get a fine because Leonard and Parker are both truly injured?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell will they even do this? Regulate minutes and injuries too. So you start your guys and pull them at the first time out. Claim they all tweaked their ankles getting off the bus and can't start. Would the Spurs get a fine because Leonard and Parker are both truly injured?

Not really that hard to do, if they are serious about doing it. Set up a regular season rule where if a player misses a game due to an unexpected injury he is required to miss the next game as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the biggest problems the NBA has are;

1. Too many games. I understand the model is built about the 82 game season, but if the season were 54 or 60 at the most, there wouldn't be as much of a need to give the star players a break on the road when fans come out to see them play.

2. New talent is weak. One and Done players. They may as well let them come straight from HS again...the league is getting the same "not ready" talent for the most part.

3. Stacked teams hurt competitive balance. I'm all for free agency and players being able to play where they want after paying their dues but we knew last OCT that barring a major injury Golden St was going to win the west and CLE was going to win the east.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really that hard to do, if they are serious about doing it. Set up a regular season rule where if a player misses a game due to an unexpected injury he is required to miss the next game as well.

How much does that matter to Cleveland? They're going to come out of the Eastern Conference regardless of regular season record. LeBron has to sit two games in a row? Ok, now two sets of fans are going to be pissed instead of one.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much does that matter to Cleveland? They're going to come out of the Eastern Conference regardless of regular season record. LeBron has to sit two games in a row? Ok, now two sets of fans are going to be pissed instead of one.

No perfect system certainly. Maybe that is enough of a deterrent. Maybe they need to make it 3 games or come up with some other deterrent.

I honestly don't care if they do this or not. It's purely a league revenue issue so it's up to the league to fix it. I get why the league is concerned about it.

I would think where it matters most is the inter-conference matches since a team only gets one shot at having a team like the Cavs or Warriors play at their court.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No perfect system certainly. Maybe that is enough of a deterrent. Maybe they need to make it 3 games or come up with some other deterrent.

I honestly don't care if they do this or not. It's purely a league revenue issue so it's up to the league to fix it. I get why the league is concerned about it.

I would think where it matters most is the inter-conference matches since a team only gets one shot at having a team like the Cavs or Warriors play at their court.

I don't think the two games idea would work. Let's say someone has an injury that typically would force them to miss 1 game. I could see them sending a guy out for opening tip -- then timeout & bench him -- just to satisfy the requirement to play. Also -- how do you pick what players are subject to the sitting out role ? There may be a player who the coach just doesn't want to play that night.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Too many games. I understand the model is built about the 82 game season, but if the season were 54 or 60 at the most, there wouldn't be as much of a need to give the star players a break on the road when fans come out to see them play.

2. New talent is weak. One and Done players. They may as well let them come straight from HS again...the league is getting the same "not ready" talent for the most part.

3. Stacked teams hurt competitive balance. I'm all for free agency and players being able to play where they want after paying their dues but we knew last OCT that barring a major injury Golden St was going to win the west and CLE was going to win the east.
I agree with numbers 1 and 3. I don't think new talent is weak. Look at players like KAT, Anthony Davis, Wiggins, Irving, Durant... etc. all one and done players. There may be a weak draft here and there but that has nothing to do with one and done.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with numbers 1 and 3. I don't think new talent is weak. Look at players like KAT, Anthony Davis, Wiggins, Irving, Durant... etc. all one and done players. There may be a weak draft here and there but that has nothing to do with one and done.

Talent...Davis was NBA ready. Wiggins has developed nicely. By and large all the guys you mentioned are ballers, but question...are they the standard? Or the exception for one and done players?

FWIW...my point about 1 and done talent is about nba readiness...I don't see a whole lot of improvement over guys coming straight from HS. I.E. there was no need for it...if they said 2 and done, maybe the kids are a little more ready and we see quicker development at the NBA level.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent...Davis was NBA ready. Wiggins has developed nicely. By and large all the guys you mentioned are ballers, but question...are they the standard? Or the exception for one and done players?

FWIW...my point about 1 and done talent is about nba readiness...I don't see a whole lot of improvement over guys coming straight from HS. I.E. there was no need for it...if they said 2 and done, maybe the kids are a little more ready and we see quicker development at the NBA level.

The issue is not talent, IMO. There are as many stars in the game as ever before. The problem is, the sooner guys declare for the draft (either HS or one and done) the harder it is to guess how good they will be. The more time a player spends in college, the more they develop and the more info scouts have to evaluate.

The future stars will develop (for the most part), whether in college or at the NBA level, but the less the talent scouts see, the more of a guessing game it becomes.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#2 is exactly why the NBA is a poor product. The defense has become horrid. A few star studded teams while the rest suffer in lala land.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this AIDS looking weirdo is going to tell coaches who they can and can't play? lulz. fvck the NBA.

adam-silver-NBA-commissioner.jpg

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butt hurt much?
why would it hurt? I don't read your shit even though I notice it once in awhile? Seems like to me with Trump's dick in your mouth though, your mouth would be hurting:pound:

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would it hurt? I don't read your shit even though I notice it once in awhile? Seems like to me with Trump's dick in your mouth though, your mouth would be hurting:pound:
How often do I quote your post? Try never. Yet for some strange reason you love to quote mine.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this AIDS looking weirdo is going to tell coaches who they can and can't play? lulz. fvck the NBA.

adam-silver-NBA-commissioner.jpg
Actually no he isn't - What the NBA intends to do is set guidelines on resting players. Those guidelines, however will be arbitrary and not binding. If the teams don't follow and respect those guidelines, then next year the NBA teams can look to see them step it up with some rules.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually no he isn't - What the NBA intends to do is set guidelines on resting players. Those guidelines, however will be arbitrary and not binding. If the teams don't follow and respect those guidelines, then next year the NBA teams can look to see them step it up with some rules.
If you had a brain you'd be dangerous. WTF do you think setting guidelines on who gets to rest and how long they get to rest means. It means that AIDS looking mofo is telling coaches who they can and cannot play. That is what it means. You can word it differently but it comes down to actual facts. Something that seems to elude you time after time.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that Tom hanks, from the movie "Philadelphia"?
The NBA is right up there with fake ass wrestling anymore. It's become a joke. It does help sell overpriced shoes to the dumbed down masses though.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since when does some bald headed banker who looks like he's suffering from AIDS dictate how a coach should coach his team?

You just can't sit the NBA starts that people pay good money to see anytime you want.

If Russel Wilson sat out a game just to get extra rest you would have a baby.