• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Okung to represent himself on his next contract.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah his injuries are mind boggling, he is so big and strong but so fragile -.-. I do like his attitude in games though as he has a little bit of a nasty streak. Lets not forget though to go along with his injuries he gets to many penalties.... false start #76 ( negates big play ) 10 yards and replay the down ....

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article by yahoo.

In a shocking decision, Seattle Seahawks starting left tackle Russell Okung has announced he has fired his agent and will represent himself when he tests free agency next year. He hopes other players will follow.

In a piece published by Okung on The Players' Tribune, the former first-round draft pick says most players choose to be represented by an agent when it comes to contract negotiations because they haven't ever thought of an alternative. The 2012 Pro Bowler believes that he is "more than adequate" to handle himself without an agent and that "betting on himself" will pay off in the long run:

I know my worth. I can look at the market and go directly to a team without an agent and tell that team my worth. And I can do so with confidence because I've done my research, I've educated myself and I've questioned the answers I've been given.

And when it comes to reviewing the details of my next deal, I'll hire an expert — a lawyer or a sports attorney who understands the dynamic of football contracts — to read the paperwork. I'll negotiate a one-time flat fee that isn't dependent on the size of my salary.

While Okung is addressing his own specific situation, he later took to Twitter to clarify that his article wasn't just about him and that other players should follow suit:

Know my article was not only about me. Players should be empowered to take the reigns of their life! We have relinquished control too long!

— Russell Okung (@RussellOkung) July 20, 2015
The standard rate that NFL agents receive of a player's contract is typically close to 3%, the maximum allowed. While that may seem like nothing, for a player who will most likely sign a lucrative long-term contract after this season — assuming he remains healthy — it could be the equivalent to hundreds of thousands of dollars, possibly millions.

Before the 2010 NFL draft, Okung chose Authentic Athletix's Peter Schaffer to represent him as his agent, and the two agreed to a fee of 2.5%, according to Okung. The Seattle Seahawks then signed Okung, the No. 6 pick, to a six-year, $48.5 million contract — 2.5% of $48.5 million is $1.2 million.

Okung believes that 2.5% isn't worth the amount of work Schaffer, and other agents, do. He thinks today's average athlete has the necessary skills to act as his own agent and find a fair deal himself, without an agent to guide him:

You see, there's a new sort of athlete, and he's not just an athlete. He's a businessman and a living brand, a la Magic Johnson or LeBron James. He's a player who represents himself because he not only understands the market and his own personal value, but has the self-assurance and financial know-how to do so, too.

With free agency just a year away, Okung's situation has already made for an interesting story line.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Okung, be sure to study your response when an NFL GM asks you why you think you are so valuable when you have missed 26.25% of games due to injury.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Okung, be sure to study your response when an NFL GM asks you why you think you are so valuable when you have missed 26.25% of games due to injury.

I know right the russell wilson contract saga is going on longer than what we like because he brings a lot of chips to the table on why he should be paid. your one pro bowl appearance in 2012 is not much of leverage when asking to get paid a lot.

i actually think its better for the hawks to look at new options at LT

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might be able to get him on the cheap because of this. Even if he gets a little less than what he would earn if he had an agent, he should be able to easily make up the difference in not having to pay the contingency fee

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right. But the one thing he won't have any way to substitute for is the experience an agent has in negotiations.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind think it's time to part ways with Okung and find ourselves a new LT in the draft. That's money saved that can help in getting RW's contract done.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Okung time here is over. Might be different if the Seahawks had tons of cap space, but they don't. Okung has talent, but he's just to fragile to sacrifice the $ needed to keep him here. Hate losing a LT, but what can you do?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is wierd to say " for the good of the team we must cut Okung" but I am good with it.
In truth, it has been the injury's.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to reserve judgment regarding Okung until the end of this year. If he plays well and stays injury free, then I'm fine with signing him to another 3 year deal so long as its around what he is already making this year, which I think is 8 mil?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to reserve judgment regarding Okung until the end of this year. If he plays well and stays injury free, then I'm fine with signing him to another 3 year deal so long as its around what he is already making this year, which I think is 8 mil?
Plays well and injury free......sounds good. Hope they can squeeze that cost into the cap.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung is really good though when he's in they're ... I don't think our line can afford to lose our LT ... I think if they can get him for a reasonable price, go for it... Injuries aside, the guy has played well when it counts...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung is really good though when he's in they're ... I don't think our line can afford to lose our LT ... I think if they can get him for a reasonable price, go for it... Injuries aside, the guy has played well when it counts...
What's a reasonable price boogie?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have utterly no idea... I"m not even sure what our cap situation will be next offseason...
Until RW gets inked, none of know what our cap situation will be. Going to be tight I think, and starting LTs don't come cheap. If you had to choose between Okung and Wagner, who would you choose?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until RW gets inked, none of know what our cap situation will be. Going to be tight I think, and starting LTs don't come cheap. If you had to choose between Okung and Wagner, who would you choose?

Wagner 100 percent ... I do like Okung though overall and hope we can somehow keep him..

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wags as well. It might be time to move on from our oft injuried LT and replace him with a new younger LT from the draft. I like Okung but it's hard to give him a contract when he doesn't play the entire year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that so many are ready to cast off Okung. He has been banged up, but he's certainly an above average talent at LT. They don't grow on trees, and when we are presumably on the door step of paying our QB north of $20M per season, not sure if this is the best time to be starting over at the most important position on the OL. Let's exercise some tactical patience here and see how the season plays out.