• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OK it's weird right?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just came here to post this

Probably going to see deflation in big contracts. They really should cap the length to protect teams against themselves.
MLBPA will NEVER sign off on that.

The teams are rolling in cash. They can afford (financially, if not competitively) the contracts.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBPA will NEVER sign off on that.

The teams are rolling in cash. They can afford (financially, if not competitively) the contracts.

I'm sure they won't but as you say profitability isn't an issue. Shorter contracts at a higher average rate seems the better course of action. Maybe allow players to earn their FA faster as a trade off

I think smaller market teams could offer more if they weren't on the hook so long.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it appears, the players union doesn't appear to be in a position to have to compromise on anything, which is sort of sad from a fan's perspective.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper's about as young as you can be for a free agent

Just not a good sign

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they won't but as you say profitability isn't an issue. Shorter contracts at a higher average rate seems the better course of action. Maybe allow players to earn their FA faster as a trade off

I think smaller market teams could offer more if they weren't on the hook so long.
I think the PA will certainly fight for an earlier FA eligibility, but the owners will not go for that. They invest a LOT into a player’s development and deserve to cash in on that.

The PA does not cover the minor leagues, but THAT is where more advancement is needed.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Mets general manager Jim Duquette is hearing that the Yankees informally offered Manny Machado a seven or eight-year contract for $220 million.

Duquette went on to say that "a lot of teams are in that range also" and "another club has gone further than that." His comments appear to up the ante on Friday's report from Bob Nightengale of USA Today, who stated that the White Sox are holding firm on their seven-year $175 million offer and that they are considered the favorite to sign him. The Padres and Phillies are also aggressively pursuing Machado. He was reportedly hoping for a ten-year, $300 million windfall as he entered free agency but there have been no public indications that any team has made an offer anywhere near that figure.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Mets general manager Jim Duquette is hearing that the Yankees informally offered Manny Machado a seven or eight-year contract for $220 million.

Duquette went on to say that "a lot of teams are in that range also" and "another club has gone further than that." His comments appear to up the ante on Friday's report from Bob Nightengale of USA Today, who stated that the White Sox are holding firm on their seven-year $175 million offer and that they are considered the favorite to sign him. The Padres and Phillies are also aggressively pursuing Machado. He was reportedly hoping for a ten-year, $300 million windfall as he entered free agency but there have been no public indications that any team has made an offer anywhere near that figure.
Machado's agent is trying to get a team to bid against itself on the guy.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitchers and catchers report to Oakland's spring training camp tomorrow. While there should be some urgency now to get Machado and Harper signed, it's getting even more desperate for Dallas Keuchel and other upper tier starting pitchers (Gio Gonzalez).

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitchers and catchers report to Oakland's spring training camp tomorrow. While there should be some urgency now to get Machado and Harper signed, it's getting even more desperate for Dallas Keuchel and other upper tier starting pitchers (Gio Gonzalez).
Actually, Cobb and Arrieta sort of got away with it, with mixed results. I think these top pitchers are less concerned about it. The problem is for some teams who are trying to structure a rotation, there's a line in the sand about when they have to make a call on their 4th or 5th starters. Dunno when that date becomes a deadline.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is up in arms that nothing has happened in FA this year. No one is signed, ant it must be collusion on the owners part, right?

Well, um...

Of the top 10 FA, according to MLBTR, 6 have already signed. Of the top 50, 39 have signed. And outside of the top 4 guys, all the remaining FAs have serious baggage that would make them kinda difficult to sign anyway.

So let’s look at those top 4 guys...

Harper
Machado
Keuchel
Kimbrel

Are the teams playing hard ball with them? Or are the agents playing hard ball with the teams? Harper and Machado are essentially playing chicken with each other. Whomever signs first sets the market for the other guy. Neither wants to be “out-signed” by the other guy. And rumors persist that Kimbrel is looking at many of the same teams these guys are looking at, so whomever loses out on these guys will imediately turn their focus on him (Harper, Kimbrel and the Phils in particular).

I have not heard rumor 1 about Keuchel, so I am not sure if he is caught up in this chicken game or not, but I assume he is.