• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Playbook: Bengals

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's an ESPN Insider article I just read that I thought the rest of you may enjoy.

Offseason Playbook: Bengals
A look at Cincinnati's philosophy, team needs and a key free-agent move

In a new offseason series, Insider takes an in-depth look at NFL teams before free agency begins March 12. What is each team's philosophy on offense and defense, what are its biggest needs, and which one player could make for an ideal signing in free agency?

Team philosophies

Offense -- This is technically a West Coast offense, but there are some unique "tweaks" under coordinator Jay Gruden that give it some flexibility. The Bengals will throw deeper routes than a lot of West Coast offenses, mostly to wide receiver A.J. Green, but many of their personnel are better suited to the short-to-intermediate passing game. They like three-wide receiver sets to spread the field and will use their tight ends over the middle, and their backs are more of blitz pickup/pass blockers than outlet receivers. They like to think they are physical between the tackles, but they show more zone-blocking looks and even some stretch plays. When the run game is going well, it opens up play-action and bootleg opportunities for quarterback Andy Dalton -- something that really suits his skill set. They would like to get more explosive plays out of their running game, and Dalton needs more passing targets than just jump balls to Green.

Defense -- Coordinator Mike Zimmer runs a very aggressive 4-3 scheme that emphasizes assignment football and a physical style of play that creates turnovers and takeaways. The strength of this unit is a deep defensive line with size and outstanding pass-rush skills, and the Bengals usually dominate one-on-one blocking matchups. They will play a lot of games up front with twists and stunts, and if the pressure is not producing, they are not afraid to blitz and use their linebackers as pass-rushers. However, that can put their secondary into a lot of man-coverage schemes, and when these guys are on an "island," it is cause for concern. Playing man and going to sub packages versus spread offenses really stretches the abilities of the back end of this defense. However, Zimmer seems to be willing to take chances in coverage with the knowledge that the Bengals' good pass rush will cover some of those other deficiencies.

Team needs

1. Linebacker -- Two of the three starting linebackers -- middle linebacker Rey Maualuga and strongside linebacker Manny Lawson -- are unrestricted free agents and neither is really an impact player due to their deficiencies in coverage, but they could come back at the right price. The organization loves rookie weakside linebacker Vontaze Burfict, and the Bengals easily could move him inside to the middle and then concentrate on improving the outside linebacker position with at least one new starter. They need better range and athleticism here, along with some pass-rush skills, and must do a better job of getting off blocks.

2. Running back -- Starter BenJarvus Green-Ellis is a between-the-tackles "grinder" who gives the Bengals some solid short-yardage production, but he has virtually no big-play ability and there is little explosiveness to this run game. All the running back backups are unrestricted free agents, but it really doesn't matter because they need to be upgraded. Right now, with the Bengals' marginal ability to stretch the field with the run game, defenses are able to "squeeze" Andy Dalton and the passing game. Any success this offense has comes from Dalton's arm, and the Bengals are just too predictable.

3. Safety -- For years this defense has been able to get by on the back end because of a productive pass rush by the front four, and it has masked deficiencies in the secondary, especially inside. Strong safety Chris Crocker is an unrestricted free agent and probably the Bengals' most consistent player, but he is not special and the rest of the safeties in this group are nondescript. The Bengals might look for a guy who is athletic enough to cover tight ends and play some man coverage -- but also physical enough to come down in the box to play the run.

4. Wide receiver -- They continue to get decent production from the young trio of Mohamed Sanu, Andrew Hawkins and Marvin Jones -- especially Sanu -- but they might fit better as role players versus spread sets. The Bengals have been looking for a quality No. 2 receiver to pair with A.J. Green.

5. Offensive line -- This is a pretty good starting lineup if the players are healthy and all return, but the Bengals must keep right tackle Andre Smith, an unrestricted free agent, and get a healthy Travelle Wharton back at left tackle. Getting better inside in this unit is a priority.

6. Defensive end -- Michael Johnson is franchised, but these coaches love a deep defensive end rotation, so there is always room for an athletic young guy.

-- Gary Horton

Key free-agent move

Andre Smith, T, UFA

Smith has developed into one of the premier right tackles in the NFL and is a powerful force in the running game. He has the athleticism to hold up in pass protection against edge rushers. When he gets his hands on an opponent in the running game, he wins. He has the block temperament, footwork and technique to get to the second level, and stabilizes the right side of the Bengals' offensive line.

The start of Smith's career wasn't what the Bengals had in mind after drafting him No. 6 overall in 2009, but he eventually has lived up to the billing he had coming out of Alabama.

While the Bengals have a need to fortify the linebacker core this offseason, the free-agency class at the position is considered weak, with the draft a more likely vehicle to find talent.

Smith was arrested earlier this offseason and dealt with weight and health issues earlier in his career, but he proved himself to be a reliable right tackle in 2011 and especially 2012. The Bengals need him in order to retain the young offensive nucleus that has helped lead the team to consecutive playoff appearances.

-- Field Yates

2013 NFL free agency -- Offseason plans for the Cincinnati Bengals - ESPN

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a bad feeling about Smith.

if he gets paid, he will lose his drive.
so, either way, we lose a good player at this position.

its lose, lose

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel we're about to get screwed.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a bad feeling about Smith.

if he gets paid, he will lose his drive.
so, either way, we lose a good player at this position.

its lose, lose

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel we're about to get screwed.

I think you're right. I suppose the best course of action for him would have been the franchise tag. If he were forced to play in another 'contract' year, he'd have to keep trying.

BTW -- Wait until you see how awesome Dunlap is this season. I've been waiting for him to be in a contract year since he arrived.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right. I suppose the best course of action for him would have been the franchise tag. If he were forced to play in another 'contract' year, he'd have to keep trying.

BTW -- Wait until you see how awesome Dunlap is this season. I've been waiting for him to be in a contract year since he arrived.

I thought Dunlap was a free agent also. Is he just a restricted free agent so we retain rights for now? Or does he actually have a full year left on his contract?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Dunlap was a free agent also. Is he just a restricted free agent so we retain rights for now? Or does he actually have a full year left on his contract?

He's going into the fourth and final year of his deal. Making about 600K.

If he puts up 12 sacks and a few forced fumbles, he'll be looking at a double figure signing bonus.

He'll probably be an all-pro this season. Watch.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going into the fourth and final year of his deal. Making about 600K.

If he puts up 12 sacks and a few forced fumbles, he'll be looking at a double figure signing bonus.

He'll probably be an all-pro this season. Watch.

Give him little playing time just when you really need him, so his numbers look crappy, resign him to a big contract but not near what he would have been looking for, and then stick him in the starting rotation for good and hope he becomes a perennial pro-bowler. :)

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give him little playing time just when you really need him, so his numbers look crappy, resign him to a big contract but not near what he would have been looking for, and then stick him in the starting rotation for good and hope he becomes a perennial pro-bowler. :)

Sure..... Guys always re-sign with teams that stuck them on the bench.

Then again, Anthony Collins keeps doing this.... So maybe I'm wrong.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure..... Guys always re-sign with teams that stuck them on the bench.

Then again, Anthony Collins keeps doing this.... So maybe I'm wrong.

Well, here is the key..you have to sign them before they become a FA, so near the end of the year while still in season. Guy has not cracked a starting lineup too much, and his numbers look really low. So now you give him a really good contract extension offer, and his agent looking at that will say, your numbers are so low this year and you are riding the bench half the time, we will never get this offered contract value for you on the open market, I would recommend taking the extension.

So then we get Dunlap for 6 years at $48 million with a $12 million dollar signing bonus.

We get a steal, and he thinks he got the best contract offer from us. The only possible downside....he is disgruntled this is the best he can do because he got railroaded, signs the contract and then becomes a fat and unproductive player. Always risks and drawbacks to every action! haha

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're advocating a system whereby you limit a guy's production and actively try to limit his potential in order to re-sign him to a cheaper deal. Is that you Mike?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're advocating a system whereby you limit a guy's production and actively try to limit his potential in order to re-sign him to a cheaper deal. Is that you Mike?

Now you understand why I side with Mike Brown so often. I would run the team the same way!!! HAHA

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also trade any really good young talent in the last year of their contract to maximize return on talent without having to pay out the ass for guys about to bank.

However, with the cap being what it is now with the spending limits and the amount the cap is, I would probably spend a little money on a few key figures just to keep the fans interested. Try and win the whole thing with a really young team, and then rebuild like the Marlins about every 6-8 years completely.

The rookie pay scale, one of the best things to happen to football since the salary cap.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because Mike Brown's dreams basically came true with the last CBA..... The NFL will now be completely built around young talent that is drastically underpaid. The draft no longer represents a huge 'risk' by paying guys that haven't proven anything on the field. They are all underpaid, so no reason not to stock draft picks and load the team with young players.

Yes there will be a few superstars, mostly quarterbacks, that will draw huge paychecks. But in general the good teams will have just a few superstars and continue to surround them with young talent within their first four years in the league. Skill positions like running backs and corners will be rotated in every few years -- Why pay a 26 or 27 year old player big bucks when new guys can be added in the draft -- For a much better price.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because Mike Brown's dreams basically came true with the last CBA..... The NFL will now be completely built around young talent that is drastically underpaid. The draft no longer represents a huge 'risk' by paying guys that haven't proven anything on the field. They are all underpaid, so no reason not to stock draft picks and load the team with young players.

Yes there will be a few superstars, mostly quarterbacks, that will draw huge paychecks. But in general the good teams will have just a few superstars and continue to surround them with young talent within their first four years in the league. Skill positions like running backs and corners will be rotated in every few years -- Why pay a 26 or 27 year old player big bucks when new guys can be added in the draft -- For a much better price.

Why pay? Because the owners have to pay. It's in the CBA.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why pay? Because the owners have to pay. It's in the CBA.

Nah.... We have to keep 80 million in reserve for roster bonuses, injury settlements and draft picks. That's some Hobson math for you.

I'm going to believe this spend to the cap stuff when I see it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only eight teams use the franchise tag | ProFootballTalk

I think this is another sign that many teams don't have salary cap flexibility and won't be major players in FA. Could be a good year to land a big name..... But we're the Bengals so I wouldn't expect more than a 'depth' player.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, his best years are ahead of him, but he would kind of serve as an extra coach right?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Moss!

Great, another malcontent who is over the hill.

I think we should strive for something a little better.

But you are right, this does sound like the move we would make. Over the hill, big named player, that won't cost too much, but could ruin the locker room.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, another malcontent who is over the hill.

I think we should strive for something a little better.

But you are right, this does sound like the move we would make. Over the hill, big named player, that won't cost too much, but could ruin the locker room.

Bingo.