• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

offseason musings 2 weeks early

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big East is still better than the SEC in basketball for now.. SEC has more resources to get better in the future however.. LSU and Arkansas should still be very good next year..
i respectfully disagree (lets try that phrase again and see how it goes this time)

first of all i never said SEC is the best conference but below is how i see this year, and mind you i most definitely watch more sec basketball than you but being in nyc i watch a lot of the big east too.

top team this year....kentucky
better top 3 overall...nod to big east (gtown butler nova edge over uk ark lsu)
but 4,5,6.....push providence and st johns were overrated all season and their win /loss records were reflections of their wins against the bottom of the league. xavier was too inconsistent(much like florida).

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
many conferences get 5 teams in the tourney on a regular basis. That doesnt make you a major. when your league is smaller and 4 teams(whoever they may be on any given year are garbage) it will reflect greatest on those team that are good that year. I dont know who exactly you consider your top 3 programs i assume nova and gtown are two. who is your third? you want to be the best mid major fine ill give you that.

Man you just don't get it. And clearly don't actually follow basketball.

Many conferences may get 5 but they are MAJOR conferences just like the BE. They got 60% of their league in. Only the big12 did better. That is excellent.

No they don't not steal wins against the bottom any more than any other league. Idk why you keep saying that.

Nova, Georgetown and Marquette are all top 20 college basketball programs they have the history to support it. Xavier and Butler have turned into consistently great programs with March success.

If a team is down(MU currently). Teams like SJU and Prov are capable of filling the void.

DePaul and Seton Hall are the only two out of 10 that really haven't shown anything in years.

50% of the league has had great success making the tourney and doing well. That isn't a mid major

Your opinion is an empty unsubstantiated one. It's like me saying Kentucky is only the 10th best team this year. It's my opinion, but that's it. I've got nothing to go off.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
marquette....id use the "H" word but i know how sensitive you are to it. they are the same as a butler at best when winning.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
marquette....id use the "H" word but i know how sensitive you are to it. they are the same as a butler at best when winning.

Again it's fact. Look anywhere you want.

I suggest you start with ESPNs 50 in 50

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big east had a better year but 8 of 10 teams lost 12 games last year , only four bids, and no s16 appearances....you want to base your facts on past history fine. but a rebound year does not a major make.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big east had a better year but 8 of 10 teams lost 12 games last year , only four bids, and no s16 appearances....you want to base your facts on past history fine. but a rebound year does not a major make.

This conference as is has been going on for two fucking years.

The fact is its averaging getting 50% on the league in. Which is major conference quality.

The fact is 50% of its league has had excellent March success in their programs history. With a lot in the last 5 years even.

It has another two programs that have been rising under current regime(prov and creighton)

St. John's is kinda blah.

DePaul and and seton hall suck....for major conference teams.

DePaul would consistently tear up a mid major conference like wtf.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so thats a definite no on expansion for you then? ok great.

i know football is the driver of ncaa programs now but what is keeping teams attached to mid major football conferences?

big east basketball should make a move to strengthen itself IMO.

how happy can uconn be playing smu, ucf, tulsa etc....

what if big east basketball expanded with uconn, temple, cincy, and one more from a10 (umass, rhode island, dayton)?

football expansion fucked up some great conferences.....

I would like to see it. UConn at least.

It makes sense for UConn in my mind and there's actually been articles written about their return by sports writers. But this is from a fan's perspective.

College sports is driven by money and I don't know how it all plays out.

so do you only go to 11 then or do you need at least one more if uconn is on board?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so thats a definite no on expansion for you then? ok great.

so do you only go to 11 then or do you need at least one more if uconn is on board?

Probably add a 12th, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. The likelihood seems quite low for reasons that have nothing to do with college basketball, unfortunately. :bullshit:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol @ Big East being called a mid major :L