• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Officially on the Mel Tucker hate wagon

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I have a question....the thread was started under the guise of being hating Tucker, but most of the comments are about bad play by players, not scheme. Do you think Tucker is responsible for the bad play, or the talent just isn't there?

I'm sort of neutral on Tucker at the moment. As you guys know I was nervous about D line depth before the season, and that's not really Tucker's fault. Plus I liked the way the D started the season out. The fact that the defensive roster has suffered mightily with injuries, and doesn't have the depth to take it...is this something you hate Tucker for?

What defensive schemes do you think we should be doing differently? I'm asking, not forcing an argument...I'd like to hear your takes. Not gripes about Shea (is anyone REALLY surprised he can't defend the run as a defensive end?)..but rather what's Tucker doing wrong?

When our D was somewhat healthy, Tucker couldn't find a scheme, to stop or at least somewhat contain the oppositions top play makers. Green week 1, Peterson & Jennings week 2, Brown week 3,etc.etc....
Just saying most competent DCs find a way to slow down or take away game breakers.
He (Tucker) hasn't done anything to show me he's qualified for the DC job.
Injuries give him an excuse for now. But Rods still getting a pass rush w/ guys off the street in Dallas .
Tucker came in here w/ a rep for defending the pass, much like Tice as a O-line guru.
We saw how Tice worked out. Tucker is headed in the same direction. He took a top 5 D all the way to 25. He deserves a lot of the blame.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's another question....for those of you who hated Lovie Smith because he delegated the offense away and couldn't hire a good OC....do you also hate Trestman for delegating the defense and having a "hateable" DC?

Unfair question. Lovie had 9 years to fix it. T-MAN YR.1. We can only wait & see. But I doubt Phil lets this shit continue. If he does it'll be his head on the block.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I have a question....the thread was started under the guise of being hating Tucker, but most of the comments are about bad play by players, not scheme. Do you think Tucker is responsible for the bad play, or the talent just isn't there?

I think it's a bit of both. The talent has decreased a bit from last season, but IMO it's not enough to warrant the way this defense has played. I was fine with Tucker, and didn't hold him accountable until I saw multiple plays on Sunday that the defense had blown coverages and lined up out of position. You have to hold the coach at least partly accountable for that.

I'm sort of neutral on Tucker at the moment. As you guys know I was nervous about D line depth before the season, and that's not really Tucker's fault. Plus I liked the way the D started the season out. The fact that the defensive roster has suffered mightily with injuries, and doesn't have the depth to take it...is this something you hate Tucker for?

When did the D look good? They forced a few turnovers, but we got lucky Cincy only scored 21 on us, and we gave up 30 to a bad Minnesota Vikings team that moved the ball pretty damn well on us. We let Pittsburgh gain close to 500 yards on us with most of their O-line hurt and Felix Jones as their starting RB.

Sure, Melton got hurt, but I believe that was the first time I heard his name called in those three games. He had something like 2.5 tackles. He wasn't much of a factor at all up until his injury.

What defensive schemes do you think we should be doing differently? I'm asking, not forcing an argument...I'd like to hear your takes. Not gripes about Shea (is anyone REALLY surprised he can't defend the run as a defensive end?)..but rather what's Tucker doing wrong?

Schematically he hasn't done anything wrong yet. However, now if he doesn't start to make some adjustments after that performance on Sunday... he will have.

The defense has just looked unprepared in a couple of games, and they've had too many incidents where a player was out of position or blew a coverage. I guess I don't hate Tucker, I was just shocked at how bad the D looked Sunday. I knew they weren't good, but JEEZ.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is tucker is calling the scheme. You have a running quarterback and no spy. We are starting to see linebackers on the d line again and running backwards at the snap while running backs are gashing for another 200 yard game.

The whole montra with Trestman came out in his first press conference. "We will put the players in the best position to succeed."

When you have tillman or jennings passing off a receiver to the safety and teams getting easy touchdowns, isnt it time to change the play call in that down and distance play?

I did just hear that Tucker has been coaching the cover 2, so its not like he isnt familiar to it. I know past arguments were, why the hell are the safeties playing 30 yards off the line of scrimmage. I think we are seeing that now.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Unfair question. Lovie had 9 years to fix it. T-MAN YR.1. We can only wait & see. But I doubt Phil lets this shit continue. If he does it'll be his head on the block.

while I take your point, the problem is it's a little unfair to despise one guy after a few games, but spare his boss who has the ultimate responsibility and probably more influence over the roster for years.

I never really bought into that argument against Lovie, and I don't against Trestman either in this case, but this will be interesting to watch.

C

cubzzzfanincali

When our D was somewhat healthy, Tucker couldn't find a scheme, to stop or at least somewhat contain the oppositions top play makers. Green week 1, Peterson & Jennings week 2, Brown week 3,etc.etc....

Green week 1 yes, but Peterson? He rushed for 3.8 yards a carry, not exactly lighting it up. Jennings? He caught 5 passes. I wouldn't say Minnesota getting 227 passing yards and only one offensive TD was exactly lighting it up! Minn scored 1 TD on a fumble return and one on a kickoff return. How is that on the defense?

Cincinnati wasn't exactly that dominating either. We completely shut down the run, and though Dalton threw 2 TDs, we got 2 interceptions off him also.

I agree about Brown week 3 though.