• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official VT Coaching Search Thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you Va Tech guys think about them skipping out on a bowl game? The NCAA removed the bowl requirements, seems silly to pass on, were there behind the scene scandals or something?

Don't care. Under .500 teams don't deserve bowl games

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to tell you man. It was a done deal. The press conference yesterday was scheduled to announce the firing and then something happened. Best I've been able to piece together is that Elliot bumped his ask at the last minute and our president pulled the plug on the whole thing. It's be a shitshow.

It's whatever. The players voted on it so I'm fine with it. One less game I have to watch Fuente coach.
I wasn't upset that we decided against going to a bowl this year as well. From what I heard, (since I haven't really been able to watch UVA this year since all but 2 games were on ACC Network that I don't get) it looked like we didn't even bother making that trip from Charlottesville for the game Saturday night and already decided to call it a season before that game started.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you Va Tech guys think about them skipping out on a bowl game? The NCAA removed the bowl requirements, seems silly to pass on, were there behind the scene scandals or something?
It snaps their streak at 27 - the longest in CFB.

I would be pissed if I were a VT fan.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It snaps their streak at 27 - the longest in CFB.

I would be pissed if I were a VT fan.
Ehh. As foster said, there will be an asterisk beside it. Not going to a bowl and maybe not being eligible or invites is 2 different things.

If I were one of the players, I’m not sure how excited I would be about going to podunk LA/MI/insert state, sitting in a hotel, social distancing for days, doing nothing, then playing in another empty stadium, in a game that nobody cares about.
All at the expense of spending the holidays at home with family, most of which you may not have been/seen in months.
I don’t blame them..

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well revive this thread as Fuente is all but gone at this point. Only question is if it happens mid-season or on Dec 15th when the buyout drops another $2.5m

Top list:

Malzahn
Napier
Freeze
Freeman

Anyone outside of that is probably a failure.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I was thinking Malzahn last year. No, he isn't in the great tier by any means. But hell, I will take him. I just honestly don't see who else to go after outside the ones listed above. Many say Freeze has Virginia ties. Man, any coach that has the team up by 9 points with 5 minutes left and at home... And you lose. Yeah that fugga needs to go.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well revive this thread as Fuente is all but gone at this point. Only question is if it happens mid-season or on Dec 15th when the buyout drops another $2.5m

Top list:

Malzahn
Napier
Freeze
Freeman

Anyone outside of that is probably a failure.
Freeze is probably your best bet here. He's done a very good job at Liberty & should be able to do more at Va. Tech. Malzahn isn't as great a coach as many people seem to think.

Napier is an outstanding coach, but I think he may be trying to wait until something bigger comes along. I have no idea who this Freeman is that you mentioned.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeze is probably your best bet here. He's done a very good job at Liberty & should be able to do more at Va. Tech. Malzahn isn't as great a coach as many people seem to think.

Napier is an outstanding coach, but I think he may be trying to wait until something bigger comes along. I have no idea who this Freeman is that you mentioned.
Freeman is ND's DC.

A lot of buzz around the program right now that....

1.) Fuente has been told he will not be retained
2.) Fuente has informed the team as such
3.) The job is Napier's if he wants it.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeman is ND's DC.

A lot of buzz around the program right now that....

1.) Fuente has been told he will not be retained
2.) Fuente has informed the team as such
3.) The job is Napier's if he wants it.
Napier is probably waiting to see if:
1) He gets the inside track to the LSU job; or
2) If Lane Kiffin takes the LSU job & he (Napier) gets first dibs on the Ole Miss job.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napier is probably waiting to see if:
1) He gets the inside track to the LSU job; or
2) If Lane Kiffin takes the LSU job & he (Napier) gets first dibs on the Ole Miss job.
LSU isn't going G5. They can't.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU isn't going G5. They can't.
Why not? Their last two coaches were Ed Orgeron, who had a losing record at Ole Miss & went 6-2 at USC as a fill-in; and Les Miles, who was only 28-21 at Oklahoma St. before being hired to replace Nick Saban. It's not like the Bayou Bengals have been hiring coaching royalty in recent years (even though each of their last 3 head coaches did manage to win a national championship while at LSU).

I know they will probably target Jimbo Fisher & Lane Kiffin, but there's no way LSU is going to be able to match the deal that Fisher has at Texas A&M. They might be able to land Kiffin or Oregon's Marion Cristobal. If not, then Billy Napier is their best choice. You can forget any rumors involving Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go with Hugh Freeze.

Yeah. He has a not so great personal history, may have killed prostitutes at (complete speculation) Liberty and is sort of annoying but the guy knows how to coach football and has beat Alabama. He's a prize to be had and I'm confident he could build a good counter program to Clemson in the ACC.

(Watch out for the upset tomorrow against Ole Miss too. It'll be a better game than some think.)

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone heard VT might be reaching out to Sonny Dykes?