• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mike Thomas stat prediction thread

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit fans, Lions WR Mike Thomas says he feels "a lot more comfortable" in the team's offense this year. Somewhere Shaq Harris is bragging I'm sure.

Make your official prediction now:

catches/yards/TD's

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit fans, Lions WR Mike Thomas says he feels "a lot more comfortable" in the team's offense this year. Somewhere Shaq Harris is bragging I'm sure.

Make your official prediction now:

catches/yards/TD's

Taking over the role Titus was suppose to play.

64/873/7

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say 35/430/3

I hope I'm wrong and it's a lot more.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a miracle imo.

Titus in 2011 had a line close to 50/650/6. (too lazy to look it up right now) Thomas has the same talent and had time to learn the Offense. Plus he should be lost to defenses with CJ, Bush, Burleson coming back, and Pettigrew.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say 35/430/3

I hope I'm wrong and it's a lot more.
I gotta reference another thread I posted this on first, but this number is even higher than what I had, I do believe.

Those aren't bad numbers for our #4 WR, to be honest. I'll be perfectly happy if he hits that mark- it would mean that he's being productive enough to take advantage of holes in the coverage and helping to move the ball.

With your numbers there he's averaging just over 2 receptions per game at 12 yards per. If he gets us two first downs ever game, week in and week out, that's a decent contribution from a role player in my book.

More TDs than 3 would be nice, though.

I also think he'll get in the mix at RB. Not a ton of carries, basically no better than the 5th RB in that sense, but the threat of him being able to line up in the slot or in the backfield makes our offense more dangerous.

I think he, Reggie Bush and Theo Riddick will all fill that same role. Obviously Bush is "the" guy and will get the bulk of the carries out of those 3, but I think they'll all be coached up to fit a hybrid RB/Slot WR role in our offense...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Thomas will be used the way Titus was. Burleson will be the #2 and I think Broyles will see more time than Thomas.

That being said, I'm predicting 38 recs/467 yds./2TDs

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we have pretty close expectations so far on what he'll produce...

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Thomas will be used the way Titus was. Burleson will be the #2 and I think Broyles will see more time than Thomas.

That being said, I'm predicting 38 recs/467 yds./2TDs

Damnit I completely forgot about Broyles. Yeah that will bring my prediction down 35/432/3

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here's my "title post" on there:

This is just a hunch on my part, but I think we're going to see Mike Thomas moved to the same receiving back/slot WR role that Reggie Bush and Theo Riddick will be used in.

Thomas was a combo back/WR in college and Mayhew was very interested in him a few years ago coming out of Arizona. He's got a "scat back" build to him and runs in the 4.3 range, so getting some time in the backfield makes a lot of sense to me.

I don't think we'll see him get a ton of carries, mind you, but once all 3 of those guys are established as both runners and slot receivers it gives our offense a ton of versatility. If the defense matches them up with a 3rd LB, then we drop them down into the slot and take advantage of a huge speed mismatch in the passing game. If they go with an extra CB to match-up, then you motion them to the backfield and run the ball.

I read an article a couple of years ago that suggested that this kind of back will see a surge in popularity as these spread offenses take off, and, imo, that's exactly what we're seeing now. In much the same way that teams use an athletic TE to create sub-package mismatches, teams can use receiving backs to do the same thing.

So, while we didn't see much out of Thomas last year, I think Mayhew and Shorts have a plan for him, and I think we'll see him in the backfield a fair amount this season.

I also vote we start calling the position those three (Bush, Thomas and Riddick) play "combo back" because it's a better description of what they do than "running back." If we all get on the same page we can make it a thing, and then, when it catches on and analysts start using it we'll know that we Lions fans started it, lol...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here's the stats prediction I was looking for:

I think there's a plan in place for his unique skill-set, and I think we'll see him be far more productive out of that combo-back role this season. I'm predicting 35-ish receptions for about 400 yards and 3 TDs, plus 40-45 carries for about 250 yards and a TD.

I'm not suggesting he'll be a huge part of the offense, but I think he can be a qulaity bit-player in our offense. He's a real speed weapon, and his ability to line up in the backfield or in the slot makes him a problem for the defense to match up with.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
45 carries is probably too high- I'll adjust it to 35-40 carries instead. Many of which will be via the end-around.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Released after the season.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
38 catches, 443 yards, 1 TD

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked at how close everyone is on their predictions... seems like we all have the same (pretty realistic, might I add) expectations on what our 4th WR will produce.

I think these are pretty safe numbers, too. He could easily eclipse 500 yards receiving given his speed and our pass-happy offense, but if he catches 30-40 balls for 400 yards and a few TDs it looks like everyone will be happy...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything over 500 yards and 4 TDs would be gravy to me. Out producing Denard in every category would be even better. (shouldn't be a problem). I'd just like a couple big plays out of him. An impressive grab, a first down on third down, a TD in a tight game to take a lead in the second half, recover a Joquie Bell redone fumble (you're welcome), a nice tackle on a Stafford out-route pick, a big return.... Something to make me forget about wishing we had that fourth or fifth round pick instead.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything over 500 yards and 4 TDs would be gravy to me. Out producing Denard in every category would be even better. (shouldn't be a problem). I'd just like a couple big plays out of him. An impressive grab, a first down on third down, a TD in a tight game to take a lead in the second half, recover a Joquie Bell redone fumble (you're welcome), a nice tackle on a Stafford out-route pick, a big return.... Something to make me forget about wishing we had that fourth or fifth round pick instead.

Denard who?

Stop it.....:lame:

I draw the line with Denard Robinson and you know it.