• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Free Agency Thread (Post all signings here)

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol..i wonder if the 49ers are waiting to see what happens to manning before they sign smith!!

its not about the Niners signing smith, its about smith putting the pen to the paper thats on the table before him. Jed has repeated that " the ball is in Alex's court"...

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Lions were clever in structuring this deal:

Lions: Johnson cap charge reduced by $9M
March, 14, 2012 11:45 AM ET
By Kevin Seifert

Here is probably the most important detail in the fast-breaking news of receiver Calvin Johnson's monster contract extension: It will shave about $9 million off his 2012 salary cap number, according to the Lions' website.

That means Johnson's 2012 cap number will fall somewhere between $12 million and $13 million, a significant reduction from the $22 million hit the Lions were taking under the final year of his original rookie contract. It's enough to ensure the Lions can sign their draft class along with a couple of veteran free agents, one of which could well be middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch.

Calvin Johnson's contract extension with the Lions includes $60 million in guarantees.

As whopping as the numbers in Johnson's deal are, the truth is Johnson probably could have asked for more. I'm not sure that I would call a $132 million deal, of which almost half is guaranteed, a "hometown discount." But Johnson had all of the leverage in this negotiation; had he done nothing, he would have earned $18 million in 2012 and then been eligible for a $26.4 million franchise tag in 2013 and a $31 million tag in 2014. Over three years, his annual salary would have averaged $25.6 million.

There was no way the Lions or any other team could afford such a huge cash or cap commitment, and Johnson knew that. In exchange for accepting a deal that averaged "only" $16.5 million per year, he received $60 million in guarantees.

That number blew away even the richest NFL players, but around the league, Johnson has received instant praise and well-wishes as the type of player and person who would merit such a deal.

Among them was a tweet from Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson: "Calvin Johnson! Brother you're Worth every cent!!! But hey,Can I borrow a Dollar! Hahaha Now that's how its done! Congratulation!"

Peterson's contract extension last summer was worth $100 million and included $36 million in guarantees, which should give you some context for how lucrative Johnson's deal is.

I'm sure you're tired of the dry salary-cap discussions we've had in relation to Johnson's future. But they were critical to the short- and long-term success of the Lions franchise. Johnson will continue to represent a significant cash and cap commitment in the years to come, but the Lions now have more cost certainty and no longer face a short-term crisis. That's a win for everyone.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent heard Josh Johnson name brought up at all yet. Wonder if 49ers have made any attempts to contact him and his agent.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Havent heard Josh Johnson name brought up at all yet. Wonder if 49ers have made any attempts to contact him and his agent.

The more time that passes the more likely we start to hear about JJ and the 49ers.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more time that passes the more likely we start to hear about JJ and the 49ers.

Im waiting for an article from miaocco, he seems to be the most interested in a johnson/harbaugh reunion.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zobel says it's between Denver and Tennessee for Peyton.

If this is true, that just made my day. Now, here's hoping to Manning making his decision on the 18th, forcing the Cardinals to cut Kolb on the 17th. Not because Kolb's a threat but because they'd be admitting to have wasted their 2nd round pick off hype (hype is unavoidable but annoying to me), and would have to scramble for someone not named Manning. I hope Cleveland signs Flynn so we don't get more articles on how some unknown is going to challenge our division title.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers‏@49ersbuzztap:

"CSNBayArea >> Day 1 recap: Alex Smith free-agent talk muted http://buzztap.com/-2g5g6h"

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so Orton's pretty much set on the idea of being a backup

at least he might be able to rely on Romo going down for at least a week

And he won't lose his spot to Tebow. There's nowhere to go but up.

Aside, this is what people expected Alex to do and be better off. Like Leinart. If I were Orton I would have gone somewhere with a non-media QB starting. Go to the Bucs, wait for Freeman to fall more or get injured. (Don't know the specifics of the Bucs QBs, just an illustration.) The Jags are just too bad to get out of bed to start for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true, that just made my day. Now, here's hoping to Manning making his decision on the 18th, forcing the Cardinals to cut Kolb on the 17th. Not because Kolb's a threat but because they'd be admitting to have wasted their 2nd round pick off hype (hype is unavoidable but annoying to me), and would have to scramble for someone not named Manning. I hope Cleveland signs Flynn so we don't get more articles on how some unknown is going to challenge our division title.

I love those articles - I want winning the West to be relevant again.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers sign Jarret Johnson to 4 yr deal.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we sign johnson there is no hope of going back to the playoffs

I'm not at all a fan of Johnson - I would take Smith over Johnson at this point in time.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wish this Johnson talk would die.

I'd rather start Alex or CK than Johnson.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Johnson since he has chemistry with Harbs but thats only if Alex doesnt sign. Im fine rollling with Smith, Kap and tolzien.

But if Smith decides to go elsewhere i would like to see Kap, Tolzien, and Johnson to battle it out.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Grubbs - G - Ravens According to the Washington Times, free agent OG Ben Grubbs is "in play" for the Redskins.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we sign johnson there is no hope of going back to the playoffs

Im not waiting because i want to bring in Johnson, it just seems like every time there is a mention of him, miaocco is writing an article on csnbayarea.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Manningham - WR - Giants ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the 49ers, Bills and Dolphins are all having "early conversations" with free agent Mario Manningham.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter), the San Francisco 49ers are one of three teams that are having early conversations with New York Giants free-agent wide receiver Mario Manningham. The others are the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills.

Manningham, who is 25, has spent his career with the New York Giants. Over four seasons, he has 160 catches for 2,315 yards and 18 touchdowns. His best season was in 2010 when he had 60 catches for 944 yards and 9 touchdowns.

Manningham was drafted in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft out of Michigan.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like we're in war for Manningham