• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive Line.....literally offensive

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF grades: 49ers offensive line struggles in run blocking, what's next?

Like this writer says, not surprising the line has poor grades. For months i felt it would be on the offensive line because we know what we got in Kaepernick. Since Kaep wouldn't make much difference this season, next was line play.

i DID think there was enough individual talent, but clearly it is more than chemistry. Marcus Martin is still horrible like last year, no sign of improvement. This off-season i said he was horrible last year, but someone back-ed him up vehemently.....hmmm.....wonder who that was?

Since they aren't putting Brandon Thomas in, his IR is still going on. At least we hope it is IR, as opposed to not being good? Even when Kilgore returns, he alone won't save this line. He'll help of course, but not save it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a good Oline Kap would be ok. With a very bad Oline Kap has no shot because now he is trying to do too much. Either way we need help and I agree it might be time to move on from Kap and start all over. I mean a Oline with AD, ____, Kilgore, Boone and Staley isn't bad. We just need another guard.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF grades: 49ers offensive line struggles in run blocking, what's next?

Like this writer says, not surprising the line has poor grades. For months i felt it would be on the offensive line because we know what we got in Kaepernick. Since Kaep wouldn't make much difference this season, next was line play.

i DID think there was enough individual talent, but clearly it is more than chemistry. Marcus Martin is still horrible like last year, no sign of improvement. This off-season i said he was horrible last year, but someone back-ed him up vehemently.....hmmm.....wonder who that was?

Since they aren't putting Brandon Thomas in, his IR is still going on. At least we hope it is IR, as opposed to not being good? Even when Kilgore returns, he alone won't save this line. He'll help of course, but not save it.

I've defended Martin to a point and haven't given up on him yet. He should not have nor was the plan ever to have him play last year. He clearly wasn't in a position to play. He missed all of training camp last year as a 20 year old rookie. He is still only 21 years old and could use more time. If he continues to struggle, he should probably go to the bench. The coaches tried Thomas during preseason and he apparently struggled enough so the coaching staff elected to go with Devey and Pears instead. If those two continue to struggle as badly as they have, the team might be better letting the young guys struggle and learn than let a couple of vets, esp Pears continue to stink it up knowing he is never going to get any better at this stage of his career.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've defended Martin to a point and haven't given up on him yet. He should not have nor was the plan ever to have him play last year. He clearly wasn't in a position to play. He missed all of training camp last year as a 20 year old rookie. He is still only 21 years old and could use more time. If he continues to struggle, he should probably go to the bench. The coaches tried Thomas during preseason and he apparently struggled enough so the coaching staff elected to go with Devey and Pears instead. If those two continue to struggle as badly as they have, the team might be better letting the young guys struggle and learn than let a couple of vets, esp Pears continue to stink it up knowing he is never going to get any better at this stage of his career.

haaaa, no i wasn't referring to you Patterson.

Maybe they can let the other linemen play a quarter first, or an entire half? Maybe they just need to change Martin at Center? Maybe his line adjustments aren't good, plus it takes away from his own play?

Ok ok, i'm not giving up on Martin but would like to see SOME kind of improvement? If he's this bad game after game, no sense trying to development him?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haaaa, no i wasn't referring to you Patterson.

Maybe they can let the other linemen play a quarter first, or an entire half? Maybe they just need to change Martin at Center? Maybe his line adjustments aren't good, plus it takes away from his own play?

Ok ok, i'm not giving up on Martin but would like to see SOME kind of improvement? If he's this bad game after game, no sense trying to development him?

Yea, there comes a point where you have to give up if he isn't improving. The coaches have to make that determination. If he can't cut it as a starter, he might have to be a sub.