• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NSFFF: Raising The Cup, 1997

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turn away Flyer fans! Do not read! :)

Just got done watching the Raising The Cup 1997 I DVRed off the NHL Network. I haven't watched that game since... well, probably 1997.

First off, it was the CBC feed and it was funny to watch Bob Cole at what appears to be the beginning of his deep descent into senility. It's the Stanley Cup Finals, Bob. You should know the names of "The Detroit Goalie" and "The Flyers Goalie". They aren't all time greats, but they are certainly two of the most memorable goalies of the 80's and 90's.

Joel Otto, Shjon Podien, and Trent Klatt is maybe one of the coolest checking lines of the 90's. Probably my favorite of all time outside of the Grind Line.

By the time 1997 rolled around, Ron Hextall was a great goalie with a style that was about a decade too late. While almost the rest of the league had moved on to a butterfly or hybrid, Hextall was still doing the hard core 1970's stand up position. Throughout the game, he had great reflexes, great positioning, but he just left too much net open due to his style. The Lidstrom goal was weak, but it's Nick Fucking Lidstrom, what are you going to do?

The Philly D was amazingly slow. I know that team was essentially built around beating the Devils, but a little back end mobility might have helped the Flyers from being swept.

I know this sounds obvious, but holy shit was Fedorov an amazing skater. I remember him being dominant, but I forgot the way he just moved around with such fluidity and ease.

I remember thinking the look on Lindros's face was pretty funny right after the Wings won. I never liked the guy, I always thought he was an arrogant jerk, and at the time (i was maybe 13 or 14) I thought his facial expression was hilarious. Knowing what I know now, it was kind of sad watching him. You could see his desire, and the utter hopelessness he felt after being crushed. Knowing he never went on to win, well I actually empathized with him (even if I still don't really like the guy).

The Flyers had a lead for a total of 2 minutes in the entire series.

Even knowing full well what was coming, when Sandstrom fed McCarty I jumped out of my couch with my hair standing on end. What an amazing play out of a plugger.

I still say that Detroit team was the most dominant Stanley Cup winner over the last 20 years. I would take them over any other Detroit team, any Pittsburgh team, the Stars, the Devils, the Ducks, anyone. Towards the end of game 5 in the '07 Cup Finals, the Sens were still flying like their lives were on the line, even though they were being eaten alive and you knew they weren't going to win. The Flyers came out strong, and as the game went on Detroit just kept tightening the noose. By the end of the game, I think the Flyers just wanted to crawl into a grave.

I was surprised at how fast paced it was. I know the clutching and grabbing didn't really get HORRIBLE until about 2000, but I expected a lot more interference. Much to my surprise, there was actually a chintzy hold call and a lot of open ice.

Anyways, now I'm ready for the hockey season to start. Bring on the preseason, bitches!

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just got done watching the Raising The Cup 1997 I DVRed off the NHL Network. I haven't watched that game since... well, probably 1997.

First off, it was the CBC feed and it was funny to watch Bob Cole at what appears to be the beginning of his deep descent into senility. It's the Stanley Cup Finals, Bob. You should know the names of "The Detroit Goalie" and "The Flyers Goalie". They aren't all time greats, but they are certainly two of the most memorable goalies of the 80's and 90's.

Joel Otto, Shjon Podien, and Trent Klatt is maybe one of the coolest checking lines of the 90's. Probably my favorite of all time outside of the Grind Line.

By the time 1997 rolled around, Ron Hextall was a great goalie with a style that was about a decade too late. While almost the rest of the league had moved on to a butterfly or hybrid, Hextall was still doing the hard core 1970's stand up position. Throughout the game, he had great reflexes, great positioning, but he just left too much net open due to his style. The Lidstrom goal was weak, but it's Nick Fucking Lidstrom, what are you going to do?

The Philly D was amazingly slow. I know that team was essentially built around beating the Devils, but a little back end mobility might have helped the Flyers from being swept.

I know this sounds obvious, but holy shit was Fedorov an amazing skater. I remember him being dominant, but I forgot the way he just moved around with such fluidity and ease.

I remember thinking the look on Lindros's face was pretty funny right after the Wings won. I never liked the guy, I always thought he was an arrogant jerk, and at the time (i was maybe 13 or 14) I thought his facial expression was hilarious. Knowing what I know now, it was kind of sad watching him. You could see his desire, and the utter hopelessness he felt after being crushed. Knowing he never went on to win, well I actually empathized with him (even if I still don't really like the guy).

Even knowing full well what was coming, when Sandstrom fed McCarty I jumped out of my couch with my hair standing on end. What an amazing play out of a plugger.

I still say that Detroit team was the most dominant Stanley Cup winner over the last 20 years. I would take them over any other Detroit team, any Pittsburgh team, the Stars, the Devils, the Ducks, anyone. Towards the end of game 5 in the '07 Cup Finals, the Sens were still flying like their lives were on the line, even though they were being eaten alive and you knew they weren't going to win. The Flyers came out strong, and as the game went on Detroit just kept tightening the noose. By the end of the game, I think the Flyers just wanted to crawl into a grave.

I was surprised at how fast paced it was. I know the clutching and grabbing didn't really get HORRIBLE until about 2000, but I expected a lot more interference. Much to my surprise, there was actually a chintzy hold call and a lot of open ice.

Anyways, now I'm ready for the hockey season to start. Bring on the preseason, bitches!

when i was in bantams (yes i was a young kid but still) my team lost in the championship game at nationals to a team we'd beaten earlier in the tournament.
that same year the devils beat the ducks in the finals and i remember watching giguere bawling his eyes out and i hated it. i felt so bad for the guy. him, oates, thomas, kariya all of them. but i thought giguere really epitomized what emotional effects losing the stanley cup can have on a grown man. it really clicked to me that year.
now every single year, even if the devils were to win it again i cringe when the show the players on the losing team it just puts a knot in my stomach cause you know it really hurts bad

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

((((High Five)))) Rep will arrive within 24 hours.:cool:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i was in bantams (yes i was a young kid but still) my team lost in the championship game at nationals to a team we'd beaten earlier in the tournament.
that same year the devils beat the ducks in the finals and i remember watching giguere bawling his eyes out and i hated it. i felt so bad for the guy. him, oates, thomas, kariya all of them. but i thought giguere really epitomized what emotional effects losing the stanley cup can have on a grown man. it really clicked to me that year.
now every single year, even if the devils were to win it again i cringe when the show the players on the losing team it just puts a knot in my stomach cause you know it really hurts bad

I agree with empathizing with the losing team...but i just couldn't do that in the '09 finals. Probably more of a revenge type thing, but I was too busy mocking Hossa at the time to feel bad. That and they had JUST won it. But yeah, basically every other year it's just painful watching the losing team.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see why pitt fans get mad at hossa.
just with all do respect i disagree.. he was a rental and yes you came very close.
however he's just a guy who wanted to win.

and think of it this way.

when you guys beat det the next year, well forget that pittsburgh was the winning team or even the team that they played...
he was 1 win way from being right.

hossa is a guy i have a soft spot for. i was really happen specifically to see him win it this year.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
:confused: how many Sundins were on the ice? :confused: