• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cutoff date for the grade is the biggest factor then. Allowing people to stay back in school for sports is batshit crazy, though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cutoff date for the grade is the biggest factor then. Allowing people to stay back in school for sports is batshit crazy, though.

Not really. Most 18 year old boys aren't physically ready to compete against men at the college level. They usually aren't mature enough to handle college life either.

The difference between a 17 year old high school senior and an 18 year old senior is huge. When hundreds of thousands of dollars are at stake in the form of a college scholarship, I would counter that not only is it not crazy to hold a kid back or to re-classify in a private school that allows it, it is actually a pretty wise move on the part of the parents.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAU is shit. Ruining the game at the youth level up to HS level. It's built the one on one mentality that kids these days don't play team ball, it's all about them.

Oh and it also has made players not wanting to play defense anymore.

Ducks is 100% right.

Instead of working on skills and attending teaching camps all summer, today's player travels all over the country playing in glorified pick up games all summer and attending exposure camps that don't emphasize the fundamental skills that players need.

I have coached at both the high school level and AAU too. I am here to tell you that the AAU culture accounts for most of the problems in American basketball.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart for the individual, maybe. For the system as a whole it's insane that they allow it. You should not get to spend an extra year to be good. If the system didn't allow it and people weren't competing with people taking an extra year, the best would have a better shot, compared to having to the ones who can afford to spend more money.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I know what AAU is. I played in AAU ball and My 16 year old plays AAU ball now. The practices are BRUTAL! Defense is the main focus. The coaches work their dicks in the dirt. I can invite you to watch a practice since we are neighbors en sech.

Many local AAU programs are run the right way. Most elite programs, however, are not. The elite programs barely even practice, if at all, because they have players from literally all over the state (and out of state). A kid is not going to drive 5 hours each way for a 2 hour practice.

Unfortunately, instead of playing on the local AAU teams, most of the players you see in the NBA today came through the elite ones sponsored by the shoe companies. This practice is a straight money grab that uses the hell out of these young athletes.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya, he is in a Salem AAU league where his Mom lives. They do a great job there. It issnt like this is a Oak Hill or Montrose Christian deal....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oak Hill and Montrose are high schools and they certainly prepare their guys for basketball at the next level.

Elite AAU programs like Boo Williams is what I am talking about.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oak Hill and Montrose are high schools and they certainly prepare their guys for basketball at the next level.

Elite AAU programs like Boo Williams is what I am talking about.

Those two hi school programs are a traveling circus...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I meant was the level of talent at his AAU is in no comparison to those and they are not traveling all over the country.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More food for thought...

Five Star is one of the best teaching camps out there. In the glory days, the camp was a full week long and the camp coaches were prominent college coaches. Players had 2 hour morning stations and then night stations later with a few games in between. NCAA rule changes obviously made it illegal for college coaches to work at camps like these, but just look at the difference in 5 star today.

Instead of Sunday-Saturday, the camp starts Sunday evening and ends Thursday afternoon. The first day is nothing but pick up games so the coaches (who are often high school assistants and AAU guys) can evaluate players and draft their team for the week. The last day is playoff games and contests (no stations).

What was once the best teaching camp in America, now has 3 sets of regular stations and 1 evening of night stations in the entire camp. Not only are the coaches far inferior to what they were, but there are about half the number of station sessions as there were in the glory days. Station work is where kids work on their fundamentals.

This change reflects what basketball in America is about now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I meant was the level of talent at his AAU is in no comparison to those and they are not traveling all over the country.

And the program is probably very well coached, but this is not what Ducks was talking about.

If you want to get some insight on the cutthroat AAU world, check out the book "Play Their Hearts Out" by George Dohrman of SI. This book will change the way you view youth basketball.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure how many good years Wade has left... so it will be interesting to see what happens when Wade is out.... he can't keep having his knee drained before every game.. and his style is so physical I can't see him in the league more than 2 more years in an all star capacity...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the program is probably very well coached, but this is not what Ducks was talking about.

If you want to get some insight on the cutthroat AAU world, check out the book "Play Their Hearts Out" by George Dohrman of SI. This book will change the way you view youth basketball.

Yeah. I need to be more open to different opinions on the subject. If I had known OD was coaching at the HS level my opinion on his statement would have carried way more weight.

I just get defensive because I have a boy that is workin his butt off in one of those clubs. You know how it is, Daddy gotta protect the sons cause at all times.

He is playing AAU for the 1st time at 16. Only because of his raw athletic ability and height. He is more a football player who will be attending a FB camp this August.

I try to steer him towards Basketball or Baseball. But its ultimatly his decision. I support whatever he chooses. Just scares the crap outtta me how these HS football players can run and how big they are nowdays.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six...

Lebron will win 7 titles by the end of his career and with the stats and accolades he has and will accomplish WILL become the best ever.

Yeah, almost, except his quote also included "not seven". He basically claimed they were gonna win at least eight titles.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I need to be more open to different opinions on the subject. If I had known OD was coaching at the HS level my opinion on his statement would have carried way more weight.

I just get defensive because I have a boy that is workin his butt off in one of those clubs. You know how it is, Daddy gotta protect the sons cause at all times.
He is playing AAU for the 1st time at 16. Only because of his raw athletic ability and height. He is more a football player who will be attending a FB camp this August.

I try to steer him towards Basketball or Baseball. But its ultimatly his decision. I support whatever he chooses. Just scares the crap outtta me how these HS football players can run and how big they are nowdays.

Completely understand this and know where you are coming from. What I posted should not take away from what you kid has accomplished, don't get me wrong, you gotta be good in some capacity to make an AAU team, they don't just invite anyone. And of course not all AAU teams are run like I stated, but most are, regardless you do have to have talent to be on one.

I was on one as well, but we dominated because of our roster. We really never had practice and "coach" just told us when to show up to games, once we got there it was do whatever we wanted. He fed us the talk of how great we were and then tried to sell us individually on his training package deal and also tried to recruit us to a certain HS where he knew the coach. But really we won because we had a great roster loaded with top local guys. My AAU team beat United Salad, which at the time had Kevin Love playing for them.

Some are good, and really the concept of AAU is good, get kids exposure where they might not get exposure (Although IMO, if you are good and a good team player, your HS coach will get you noticed.) But ultimately it gets you playing basketball in the off season. Which can be a great thing if you are coached properly and it isn't used as a glorified pickup game.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wish you and your son the best of luck over the next two years. It will be a fun ride for sure.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, almost, except his quote also included "not seven". He basically claimed they were gonna win at least eight titles.

7 beats MJ. Don't take the 8 literally, he was just making a point.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Heat fans are full of shit - Even if Lebron is that good of a player, no team in the NBA is going to dominate like they did in the Michael Jordan era or in the Bill Russell era. Teams have learned how to build to knock of the existing championship. Players like Ray Allen, Battier and Anderson will age before then and move on and even Wade is beginning to have knee problems. Replacing those players when competition so fierce along with the playing field being more balanced now for the smaller market teams just makes that possibility for Lebron impossible. AND THAT IS ONLY IF HE IS THAT GOOD - HE SIMPLY ISN'T.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Heat fans are full of shit - Even if Lebron is that good of a player, no team in the NBA is going to dominate like they did in the Michael Jordan era or in the Bill Russell era. Teams have learned how to build to knock of the existing championship. Players like Ray Allen, Battier and Anderson will age before then and move on and even Wade is beginning to have knee problems. Replacing those players when competition so fierce along with the playing field being more balanced now for the smaller market teams just makes that possibility for Lebron impossible. AND THAT IS ONLY IF HE IS THAT GOOD - HE SIMPLY ISN'T.

I agree. I think he can get one more w/ the heat for a repeat. But he will have to startover with the Heat or move on to a different team. The pieces are too old on this team and Wade will most likely have a shortened career.

I am still hoping he joins Kyrie