• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No to Reyes, Yes to Ichiro?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a chance the Mariners might trade some of their talent and go into full rebuilding mode. Would anyone here support a trade for Ichiro? Imagine him batting leadoff and patrolling right field at AT&T.

The Positives:

1) Great leadoff hitter/great speed.

2) Great defense.

3) Two year contract (not technically a "rental")

4) His skills are perfect for AT&T and the type of torturous, low-scoring games the Giants play in.

The Negatives:

1) He's 37.

2) Due to make $37 million over the next two years. Need that money for Timmeh and others.

3) Who gets benched? And does his presence mean Belt is stuck in the minors or traded?

4) The Giants' weakness is shortstop, not the outfield.

5) Who would have to be dealt to land him?

Off day tomorrow. Something to talk about. Thoughts?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tbh, if we arent after a shortstop, i'd like to bring it a big time power bat.

ichiro would be fun to watch though. we could play him in center, ross in right, burrell in left vs righties. ichiro in right, torres in center and platoon ross/burrell vs lefties.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be extremely shocked if the Mariners were to deal Ichiro.

I would tend to think if y'all are gonna spend 37 million over two years, a power bat would make more sense......but given your ballpark and that half of the other parks in the division are pitchers parks, Ichiro wouldn't be a horrible idea......again, I just don't think the Mariners would move him, and what are you going to trade them? Belt and who else?

Edit: my question isn't a slam against your system, but rather who else would you include, and giving up Belt, plus at least one other guy, is that worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be extremely shocked if the Mariners were to deal Ichiro.

I would tend to think if y'all are gonna spend 37 million over two years, a power bat would make more sense......but given your ballpark and that half of the other parks in the division are pitchers parks, Ichiro wouldn't be a horrible idea......again, I just don't think the Mariners would move him, and what are you going to trade them? Belt and who else?

Edit: my question isn't a slam against your system, but rather who else would you include, and giving up Belt, plus at least one other guy, is that worth it?

I would not give them Belt, and if thats what it takes then no way. And our system is pretty depleted right now, most of our guys are in the lower minors.

If they wanted something other than Belt, it would start with Wheeler, then probably Joseph, but at that point, I would rather just go for Reyes.

Ichiro would be really cool, but I don't really see a fit.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It would be nice having him in RF, Torres in CF, and Ross in LF. That is an elite defensive outfield. And Torres/Ichiro at the top of the lineup would be pretty sweet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a deal that I see happening. We are already crowded in the OF, and the Mariners would not want any of our current OFers, so we would have to DFA someone on top of giving them a package.

I also do not see Belt as a target of Seattle. Although Smoak has been struggling, he is still a high ceiling 1B. I could see them being SLIGHTLY interested in Ishi as a stop-gap / competition for Smoak, but picking up another high-ceiling 1B prospect just does not make a lot of sense to me.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ichiro is pretty much untradeable because he is too beloved by the Seattle fans and ownership. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Nintendo owns the Mariners and that they count on being able to sell Ichiro jerseys in Japan. Anyway, I think it would be a mistake anyway to take him at his age and what it would cost. We already have a crowded outfield.