• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The risk is low but it's keeping the game from improving. Teams keep recycling these dead-armed has-beens because the agents have the front offices by the nuts. Just. Stop. Signing. Them. Spend the money on young pitchers.

Maybe Gallardo needs another chance.
Zach Duke, anyone?
I am all for experience but these guys are done.

I think he's still pitching in the league actually, or was until a DFA recently

But I've watched the Cardinals bring up tons of "young pitchers" this year and most of them have struggled, only to be replaced by other young pitchers. It's not like Smyly was a bad pitcher before the injury, why not give him a shot at a about zero cost to nobody else?

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the NL Central really a very tough division or are all the teams in this division just average?

All the teams can hit, but seem to be short on pitching.

I think it is a near certainty that Madison Bumgarner ends up in the division somewhere.

Hopefully, the Pirates get Jameson Taillon back by mid-August.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, I guess what I'm asking is do you think the winner of the NL Central would stand a chance against the Dodgers or Braves in a playoff series with the way things stand now?

With that said, I realize that baseball is the streakiest of all in any sport and an NL Central team could get on a run with a nice winning streak before the season ends but I just don't see that happening right now.

Gotta win the series. LA is the class of the NL.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the teams can hit, but seem to be short on pitching.

I think it is a near certainty that Madison Bumgarner ends up in the division somewhere.

Hopefully, the Pirates get Jameson Taillon back by mid-August.

I hear you. Currently it appears the Reds have the best pitching and the Cardinals have the worst hitting in the division even though things can change with half the season left. Your Pirates are a hard team to figure out because I think they lost 7 in a row before they got on their current hot streak but that's baseball. Yes, you need to get Taillon back healthy.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not realize how tight this division is.

3.5 separates 1st and last

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not realize how tight this division is.

3.5 separates 1st and last

In the NL Central it will appear to be even more tighter to you if you check out the loss column.

Brewers, Cubs, and Cardinals . . . . . 42 loses each.

Pirates and Reds . . . . . 44 loses each.

What a race!

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This division is ridiculous. If the Cubs/Brewers were in the NL West, they'd be 13 games out. 6 games out of the NL East. And in first place in exactly zero of the other divisions. Only division without a first place team with 50 wins

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This division is ridiculous. If the Cubs/Brewers were in the NL West, they'd be 13 games out. 6 games out of the NL East. And in first place in exactly zero of the other divisions. Only division without a first place team with 50 wins

To go even further, the Cubs/Brewers would be in 3rd place in all of the AL divisions

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really thought Puig was a good signing for the Reds. With how well he did in the beginning of his career, I thought change of scenery was what he needed (and the small ballpark). He's got the power and speed, he just needs a good hitting coach to get him to a respectful BA.
Even if Puig only bats .200 as a Red, it was a GREAT signing, as it was part of getting rid of the Homer Bailey Albatross.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However the NL Central last place team would be in 3rd in most other divisions and last in none of them.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To go even further, the Cubs/Brewers would be in 3rd place in all of the AL divisions

However the NL Central last place team would be in 3rd in most other divisions and last in none of them.

@Myles I think the point made by bks proves a lot more how bad the division is.

And I thought that was crazy that they would be in 3rd place in most other divisions, but that would be incorrect. They would be in 4th place in every other division and only a half game behind... the White Sox in the AL Central for 3rd.

Spin it any way, the division is BAD right now

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw most of the Pirates pitches that were "high and tight" yesterday. I didn't think there was anything wrong with them.

Does Maddon want them to throw pitches over the middle?

Maddon tossed: Pirates pitching 'out of control'

I think what brings this to a head is that Pitt has said for several years under Hurdle they will pitch inside. No big deal, but for as much as they preach it, they probably should be a little better at not hitting batters. Though, to be fair to the Pirates, they haven't recently led the NL in hit batters. They are currently 4th in the NL, they were 4th in 2018, and were 10th in 2017 (Reds actually led the NL that year).

It's going to happen when you pitch inside. Batters come up with elbow guards, ankle guards, and helmets that protect their faces leading them to feel safer crowding the plate. As a guy who grew up pitching, you have to be ok with hitting batters when pitching inside, especially if batters are going to creep closer to the plate.

Another factor in this is the money factor. When big time players get injured, it always creates a bit of drama. I think, in this case with the Pirates, it gets acutely focused on because of their outspoken desire to pitch inside.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I thought that was crazy that they would be in 3rd place in most other divisions, but that would be incorrect. They would be in 4th place in every other division and only a half game behind... the White Sox in the AL Central for 3rd.

I meant to say 4th instead of 3rd. My bad.
Most of us figured the division would beat each other up this season.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Central is plus against the rest of the league and plus in interleague. We just don't have any weak team in the division to boost records. We are just as good overall as any division

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Central is plus against the rest of the league and plus in interleague. We just don't have any weak team in the division to boost records. We are just as good overall as any division

I agree with you that an all star team from the NL Central could probably compete with an all star team from any other division but as things stand right now I would be surprised if the winner of the NL Central could compete with the Dodgers or the Braves in a playoff series.

Of course things might look different in 80 more games from now.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good points!

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're all about hope and I am too my friend along with some added confidence and I am determined to try to get you to add a little confidence to your hope before this season is over.

I just have to believe that we are better than what we have shown for the first half of the season. In the loss column we only trail the Cubs by 1 and the Brewers by 2 so keep the faith.
As long as STL stays w/in striking distance, there is always a chance.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that an all star team from the NL Central could probably compete with an all star team from any other division but as things stand right now I would be surprised if the winner of the NL Central could compete with the Dodgers or the Braves in a playoff series.

Of course things might look different in 80 more games from now.

Those 2 teams have done a good job against the Central, but just goes to show how the entire Central compares to the rest of the teams.

1. Dodgers
2. Braves
3. Cubs
4. Brewers

Cards, Pirates and Reds would take 3 of the next 5 spots