• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nirvana or Soundgarden?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The death of rock has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with money. Rock is just so much more expensive and time consuming to make than other forms of music. Studio time costs a fortune, you're dividing everything up amongst multiple people. It's just so much easier to sit at a computer and make beats and then have someone sing over it. Easy to split out the money, less money being spent to make it. That's why rock is dying.
Well, obviously, it's any of these things alone, but that's also a valid point. That's why so many bands have taken to building their own studios and self-publishing their music, because it gives them more control and ownership because the major labels want to simplify everything and maximize their own gains.

There are tons of causes... MTV turned from "Music Television" to whatever you'd call it nowadays.

Too many mediums.

Terrestrial radio became obsolete.

The pressure to do something new and be unique led to traditional rock/hard rock going by the wayside and the rise of mixed-genre rock music.

Lots of stuff contributed.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the labels themselves who latch onto one bands sound and get 10 more bands that sound similar to cookie cut albums until the cash cow is dry. Bands like Nickelback would have never sold anything 20 years ago. Love him or hate him, Aaron Rodgers was onto something when he declared Nickelback, Creed, and Altered Bridge the "holy trinity of butt rock"

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it's Nirvana hands down but if anyone would like to post some youtube vids for educational purposes, I'm all for it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely love the new SoundGarden album.

When King Animal came out, my first week of listening was probably the same response from most:

1) How the hell could they wait this long to make a new SG album when they still can put out material like this.

2) Mind blown that they got back together and put out such a strong set of material. When many can't put the egos, artisan stuff, and bad juju in check, and do something like this.

I love KA. I agree that there are touches all over it from other albums. It's probably why it's easily one of the albums of the year. They had all this material building up for a long period of time away from the band and thank god they finally got back together to release some of it. While many stood out, the first one I learned to play on guitar was Blood on the Valley Floor. Does have that BMF vibe to it. I just loved it. Feel in love with it like I did "Room a thousand years wide" the first time I heard the original demo version.

Agree that non-state actor is one of the best they have ever done, but the whole album is a great trip.

I do like the new AIC album too. Devil put Dinosaurs here is very interesting with some good stuff.

God I love these bands. So happy both are making music again.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it's Nirvana hands down but if anyone would like to post some youtube vids for educational purposes, I'm all for it.

Soundgarden, finally signs a major deal with A&M records, heads down to LA in 1990 for a little "showcase show" for the new Louder Than Love album and rips the town a new one at the Whisky. (Warning: Concert vocals NSFW)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ_WU0-LWFs]Soundgarden - Live at The Whisky, CA 1990 (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygou0FOqFhY]Soundgarden - Live at The Whisky, CA 1990 (Part 2) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjQJPyCgn0A]Soundgarden - Live at The Whisky, CA 1990 (Part 3) - YouTube[/ame]

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but without Soundgarden blazing the trail, does Nirvana make the national impact they did?

Oh it's quite possible they don't. Once again, to be fair, what was arguably the biggest blow to the rapid demise of the grunge era was the death of Cobain. While that wasn't the only factor, he was the face of the genre at the time, and the one guy that had to live. While there's multiple variables that played a part in that popularity, I think it's only fair to acknowledge that truth.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soundgarden. Cornell blows me away. I'm no musician and I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but when I hear Cornell belting out lyrics, I get chills from time to time. That dude has the most powerful voice I've ever heard. I also like Temple of the Dog for that reason.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Nirvana even though the chord progressions were really generic.

Never really liked Soundgarden at all.

The Seattle grunge band I listen to the most nowadays is actually Alice in Chains. I think it's mostly because I like Layne Staley's voice. RIP.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Ive ever met anyone that didnt like Alice in Chains

Very true but a funny story a few years back when Cantrell was doing his solo stuff. I was at a concert that was all ages. There were a few teenagers (on the young side of their teens) that didn't know who he was or who alice in chains where. Thats when I realized I was getting older.

I like Soundgarden more.

Still think Mother Love Bone would have been the biggest if it was for Wood's death but we would never have had Pearl Jam...