• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners sign CJ Spillman, 3 year $6 million

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news. He is an intergral part of the ST.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe pricier than I thought but Spillman and Castanzo are ST's wrecking balls. To me he's worth that money.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Grant Cohn's take on this situation. Signing Spillman prevents a bank breaking episode with Goldson, additionally, Baalke's strategy to keep things in place and resign FAs is very smart.

Niners give safety Spillman three-year contract; Goldson parts ways with agent - Inside the 49ers

I like the signing. But I don't know man, it's not like Spillman is a threat to replace Goldson as a starter. If they resigned Smith I could see that as more leverage he's a viable starter.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the signing. But I don't know man, it's not like Spillman is a threat to replace Goldson as a starter. If they resigned Smith I could see that as more leverage he's a viable starter.

after reading it, i got the impression Baalke considers Spillman as good as Reggie Smith? or maybe he's up and coming and will be close to Smith now?

IF so, it makes even more sense to lock up Spillman.

on the other hand, too bad on Reggie Smith, a 3rd round pick.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think reggie smith can do a decent job for a couple years while we try to find a long-term solution at fs in the draft. let someone else overpay for goldson

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope the Niners brink Reggie Smith back on the cheap.

not disagreeing because haven't read anything recent on Reggie Smith, but can't help ask why you think this?

the writer said we won't even bring him back, implying he just ain't it. he was drafted in 2008 and had enough time to show more stuff. so why do we want him back, only because he's cheap?

if say we draft a 5th round safety, won't he be cheap and still have some possibility of being better?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's a lot of money to pay a guy who only plays on return teams.

yes it is, so to me it implies he has potential as a Safety too. not claiming he'll start but be a solid back-up at least.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the 49ers may have ideas about moving Culliver to FS if Goldson is unreasonable in his salary demands.

i doubt we can afford to move Culliver to Safety, Goldson re-signing not withstanding? its hard as it is acquiring CB's, especially with today's pass happy of offenses where two isn't enough.

its easier (and cheaper) to sign free agent safeties should Goldson leave.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i doubt we can afford to move Culliver to Safety, Goldson re-signing not withstanding? its hard as it is acquiring CB's, especially with today's pass happy of offenses where two isn't enough.

its easier (and cheaper) to sign free agent safeties should Goldson leave.

I think with his mediocre coverage skills but solid tackling he's better suited to the Safety position where he played in college.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spillman played pretty poor at the safety position in the preseason, but the guy can tackle. Not upset with this signing.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we over paid for him. Gotta trust the FO on this one i guess, but this isn't very exciting IMO.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They also have some leverage with Corey Nelms impressing the staff so much last season. He's super fast, as well as a hard hitter that has gained 10 pounds since last season and has been moved to fs.

I think Nelms could be a threat at the fs position. An undrafted player that is hungrier than the average "drafted player".

:: Corey Nelms Wins Award As A 49er | Corey Nelms

49ers | Cory Nelms moved to safety - NFL Hot off the Wire