• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners sign CJ Spillman, 3 year $6 million

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the 49ers may have ideas about moving Culliver to FS if Goldson is unreasonable in his salary demands.

I can't think of any reason to move a top 3 CB on your team to safety. Unless Culliver regresses over the next year or two I can't see moving him to safety.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think with his mediocre coverage skills but solid tackling he's better suited to the Safety position where he played in college.

Culliver was a 3rd round pick who's playing in his rookie season, did you expect 'great' coverage last season? considering his no off-season too, thought he did VERY well.

but again, the point is we need more help at CB first, so unless you're overloaded there, why move him? better tackling alone doesn't mean a player is a safety.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Culliver was a 3rd round pick who's playing in his rookie season, did you expect 'great' coverage last season? considering his no off-season too, thought he did VERY well.

but again, the point is we need more help at CB first, so unless you're overloaded there, why move him? better tackling alone doesn't mean a player is a safety.

Especially now that it appears they have franchised Goldson.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
His mediocre coverage skills along with his excellent tackling ability are two that I can think of.

3rd round rookie who played quite well this year for a team that was thrown at a lot due to it's run defense. He was often in good position, but couldn't find the ball in time. That's something that can be improved on.

But would it be easier to find a safety, or a new CB? Would you be good going into next year with Tramaine Brock as our nickel back?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
3rd round rookie who played quite well this year for a team that was thrown at a lot due to it's run defense. He was often in good position, but couldn't find the ball in time. That's something that can be improved on.

But would it be easier to find a safety, or a new CB? Would you be good going into next year with Tramaine Brock as our nickel back?

Yep, good CBs are harder to find than good Safeties. And I will admit that, for a guy with no experience at Corner, Culliver played fairly well at times. Now that it appears they are going to franchise Goldson it makes more sense to keep Culliver at Corner.