• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read in the Press Democrat that the Niners are "highly" interested in trading for Jets CB Darrelle Revis. He's 27, will count for $6 million in 2013 and be a free agent after the season. Also coming off a torn ACL. When healthy he is the best CB in football. Niners have 13 draft picks, so a lot of trade value. What do you guys think?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is better than the Peyton Manning rumors... but, it makes me sad that it would probably mean the 49ers chose to let Dashon Goldson go and moved Culliver to FS. Mainly because Goldson has become one of my favorite 49ers.

Although with Revis Island... holy hell.. the absolute havoc Aldon and Justin would raise on opposing teams. Aldon might get 30 sacks with Revis holding down the back end and Justin gobbling up bodies.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only becomes a FA after the 2013 season if he is kept by the Jets from the way I understand it. He will hold out for a new contract the moment he is traded too. You better believe that. No way he is playing for less that 20 mil next year.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is better than the Peyton Manning rumors... but, it makes me sad that it would probably mean the 49ers chose to let Dashon Goldson go and moved Culliver to FS. Mainly because Goldson has become one of my favorite 49ers.

Although with Revis Island... holy hell.. the absolute havoc Aldon and Justin would raise on opposing teams. Aldon might get 30 sacks with Revis holding down the back end and Justin gobbling up bodies.

That is assuming he comes back completely from an ACL injury that if it even slows him down a little could turn him into just a good CB. He isn't worth the money and the picks you'd have to give up. Already been said he wants franchise QB money. You're talking at least a 1st plus 20 mil. That is 1/6th your teams salary.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners wouldn't trade for him without negotiating a long-term deal...

I feel like there's a guy in a Devil suit on my shoulder saying, "YES!!! THIS iS GREAT!!!" and a guy in an Angel suit on my other shoulder saying, "Use caution. This could blow up in your face." I don't know which one to listen to.

...And for some reason, people are giving me weird looks when I'm talking to them. Can't they appreciate a good football debate? :confused2:

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only becomes a FA after the 2013 season if he is kept by the Jets from the way I understand it. He will hold out for a new contract the moment he is traded too. You better believe that. No way he is playing for less that 20 mil next year.

I am not for certain but I believe he has an opt-out clause in his contract after this season..And I dont believe he would be a hold out if we trade for him, at least not until his contract is up. He is coming off a torn ACL so that would work against him as he will have to prove he has regained his old form.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it would be a mistake for the Niners to sign Revis to that kind of money. You giv ehim say even 18 mil, Kaep is gonna be up for extension soon, same with Aldon, and Willis and Bowman, etc.

You couldn't sign all your core guys you want to keep and build your team around.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not for certain but I believe he has an opt-out clause in his contract after this season..And I dont believe he would be a hold out if we trade for him, at least not until his contract is up. He is coming off a torn ACL so that would work against him as he will have to prove he has regained his old form.

He has already came out and said he wants franchise QB money. He is looking at 16 mil a year as his starting point for contract negotiations.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You couldn't sign all your core guys you want to keep and build your team around.

Nobody can ever keep all of their core guys (at least not SB caliber teams). But cutting Rogers would actually make this pretty manageable.

I'd cut Whitner too. And let Goldson walk (or maybe franchise him one more season if they can fit that big # under the cap).

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it would be a mistake for the Niners to sign Revis to that kind of money. You giv ehim say even 18 mil, Kaep is gonna be up for extension soon, same with Aldon, and Willis and Bowman, etc.

willis's contract is good through 2017 (but likely voids 2016) Bowman is signed through 2018. If I remember correctly their contracts where front loaded as well.

edit...willis's was front loaded. this year he made over 17 mil, next season he will make 3 mil

Last edited by a moderator:

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right, Aldon is a free agent in 2 years...Willis, Bowman, and Brooks are already signed to long term deals...This year Goldson again is a FA and next year Whitner will be...If we trade for Revis, NO WAY would we be able to keep everyone. Not to mention Kap will be a FA in 2 years as well.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not to mention Kap will be a FA in 2 years as well.

If Kaep wins the SB, there's no way he goes into the final season of his contract without re-signing IMO. They MIGHT let him play under his rookie deal next year, but after that he'll get paid IMO.

This topic was gonna be one of the first treads I posted after the Niners beat the Ravens next Sunday.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Kaep is gonna get PAID. It's hard on a team to pay so much money to so few players. Think about the Colts teams Manning played on. They were always under talented in so many positions. If you have to pay Kaep franchise QB money, and Revis franchise QB money. Add in the big raise Aldon is gonna get along with Iupati and probably Davis here soon. You're just gonna kill yourselves.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kaep wins the SB, there's no way he goes into the final season of his contract without re-signing IMO. They MIGHT let him play under his rookie deal next year, but after that he'll get paid IMO.

This topic was gonna be one of the first treads I posted after the Niners beat the Ravens next Sunday.

Yea, I am leaning more towards not touching Revis. Let some other team overpay for him and we can just draft a CB - we have 13 draft picks this year so we can even trade up..I'd save the money to pay Goldson and Aldon. Next year Whitner and Tarell Brown are FAs as well.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Of those players, Anthony Davis is probably the most expendable. Aldon & Iupati are the only Non-QB must-keeps left IMO.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Why don't you believe he would hold out? His new team would have him for about 5M per year for 4 years under his current deal.

Look at his history. He was drafted in 07 and signed a 5 year contract worth 36M.

In 2010 he held out and signed a 4 year, 46M contract. Two years later he held out again because the rest of the league had caught up to him salary wise.

Holding out is a ploy for Revis to get a raise.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you believe he would hold out? His new team would have him for about 5M per year for 4 years under his current deal.

Look at his history. He was drafted in 07 and signed a 5 year contract worth 36M.

In 2010 he held out and signed a 4 year, 46M contract. Two years later he held out again because the rest of the league had caught up to him salary wise.

Holding out is a ploy for Revis to get a raise.

Oh he will hold out until he gets paid. He already said 16 mil is his starting point. Which means he will get more than that.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh he will hold out until he gets paid. He already said 16 mil is his starting point. Which means he will get more than that.

Yep. And he'll sign about a 4 year/70M contract. Then in 2 years, when that contract is no longer an outlier for a defensive player, he'll hold out again demanding something in the 23-25M per year range.

He's a dangerous investment.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't seen a link. I'm not willing to believe this quite yet considering we should be focused on the Super Bowl instead of trying to aquire another player for the future.

With that being said i still want him if we can work out a deal that's cap friendly and worth it.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, I say screw that. Let some other team overpay for him. We can always draft a CB with one of our 13 picks..