• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners FO moves

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been extremely impressed with what the Niners did in FA, how they have made it a priority to re-sign our nucleus, and now how they are handling the roster and waiver wire.

First, signing Gooden and Tolzien are obvious upgrades from the players that were cut. Gooden will be a VERY solid backup alongside Grant. Tolzien showed alot more in one preseason in terms of being able to play in the NFL then CK has up to this point. He is accurate with a good release and a strong arm.

Resigning Gore, VD, and Willis is exactly what this team needs in terms of retaining our young leaders.

Lastly, the guys we signed at the length and amount in which we signed them all made sense with possibilities of long term contracts with performance.

All and all, I'm pretty happy with how things have transpired. Only time will time with the 2011 draft picks.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really questioned our capacity in FA or with contracts. It's the draft that usually has me nervous.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my "back of the envelope" math is right, we have somewhere around 20-22 players on the 2011 roster that weren't on the 2010 roster. I haven't done any research but that feels huge to me. Any idea what's typical for any team year over year?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If my "back of the envelope" math is right, we have somewhere around 20-22 players on the 2011 roster that weren't on the 2010 roster. I haven't done any research but that feels huge to me. Any idea what's typical for any team year over year?

It's above the norm but the number is typical of a team going through a complete overhaul with a new GM and a mostly new coaching staff with new schemes.

Some players the new coaches don't view the same as the old ones, some don't fit the scheme, and a lot of teams go younger when they get new coaches.

The Seahawks last year had a ton of new players also and still overhauling the roster.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde, I totally agree, but as you know, only time will tell with draft picks. FA signings are easier to predict because of the known commodity that they tend to be. Given that this is Baalke/Harbaugh's first draft together, we really won't know for awhile....but given the time, it's been pretty impressive. The thing I did like about our draft, independent of the player picked, is that the Niners picked rush OLB, QB, CB, and HB with the first four picks, targetting IMO our 4 top needs.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde, I totally agree, but as you know, only time will tell with draft picks. FA signings are easier to predict because of the known commodity that they tend to be. Given that this is Baalke/Harbaugh's first draft together, we really won't know for awhile....but given the time, it's been pretty impressive. The thing I did like about our draft, independent of the player picked, is that the Niners picked rush OLB, QB, CB, and HB with the first four picks, targetting IMO our 4 top needs.

That's what a lot of us have been calling for at least the past few seasons. I thought the value in the past couple of drafts had better value at OLB, CB, and QB, so we didn't get the value of what we should of had from past drafts at those positions.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what a lot of us have been calling for at least the past few seasons. I thought the value in the past couple of drafts had better value at OLB, CB, and QB, so we didn't get the value of what we should of had from past drafts at those positions.

Although I agree, we cannot hang that on the new regime. That neglect rests solely on McCloughlan as he was the steady person in the front office from last year on back. Sure Singletary and Nolan had some say, but he was the GM so it hangs on him. The new regime targetted the problem and did the best they could to rectify the situation. The question will be whether or not each pick was a good value pick in about 2-3 yrs.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I agree, we cannot hang that on the new regime. That neglect rests solely on McCloughlan as he was the steady person in the front office from last year on back. Sure Singletary and Nolan had some say, but he was the GM so it hangs on him. The new regime targetted the problem and did the best they could to rectify the situation. The question will be whether or not each pick was a good value pick in about 2-3 yrs.

Nolan was actually McCloughlan's boss for the first three years I believe, until that changed and McCloughlan became a real GM, and eventually fired him during the season. Only insiders know the true nature of their working relationship. McCLoughlan might have only been directly responsible for the final outcome of the 2008 and 2009 drafts, before that, Nolan certainly had the final decision.