• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Officiating...

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got into a discussion with a poster back in the CBS days concerning the refs. I thought the replacement refs were awful, a joke and I couldn't wait to see the regular refs back. My counterpart said they all suck and there isn't much of a difference. While I still feel that way there's no question the refs have stunk this year and it would be a bad argument from me (at least this season). It's already affected the playoffs this year. Just in the SD / KC game, the blown FG no-call, the fumble / no fumble on the 4th down fake punt play. It looked to me that if Weddle's forward progress was stopped before the fumble it was short of the first down and should have been a turn over anyway.

That was just one game! It has been that way all season.

I was at a sports bar on Long Island this week watching the games and I had a retired high school official sitting next to me. He thinks the reffing in the NFL is far to complicated. Too many rules, way too many things to look for. According to him, the game is way too fast for all those rules.

I hope that we don't see that type of officiating in the playoffs although I think we will. Hopefully it won't cost a team a win.....

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got into a discussion with a poster back in the CBS days concerning the refs. I thought the replacement refs were awful, a joke and I couldn't wait to see the regular refs back. My counterpart said they all suck and there isn't much of a difference. While I still feel that way there's no question the refs have stunk this year and it would be a bad argument from me (at least this season). It's already affected the playoffs this year. Just in the SD / KC game, the blown FG no-call, the fumble / no fumble on the 4th down fake punt play. It looked to me that if Weddle's forward progress was stopped before the fumble it was short of the first down and should have been a turn over anyway.

That was just one game! It has been that way all season.

I was at a sports bar on Long Island this week watching the games and I had a retired high school official sitting next to me. He thinks the reffing in the NFL is far to complicated. Too many rules, way too many things to look for. According to him, the game is way too fast for all those rules.

I hope that we don't see that type of officiating in the playoffs although I think we will. Hopefully it won't cost a team a win.....

We saw it last year.

PI not called that turns into a pick 6?

Game changer right there. I hope we don't see it this year either, at least not against the Broncos.

:laugh3:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw it last year.

PI not called that turns into a pick 6?

Game changer right there. I hope we don't see it this year either, at least not against the Broncos.

:laugh3:

I think the NFL should look at how they officiate playoff games. They have crews work together all season but then take the best refs from each crew to form the playoff crews. The lack of continuity can sometimes be eyebrow raising. The crew in last year's playoff game looked worse than any of the replacement refs looked. Aside from the missed PI on a play that turned into a pick-6, they also took forever setting the ball, essentially granting the Ravens some extra times out throughout the game, and at critical points where the Broncos lost opportunities to exploit them.

I think the games would be better if they regular crews stuck together for the playoff games. Other than that, there will always be limits on how well officials can call a game and get it right. It's an imperfect system run by imperfect guys. It's hard to remember that sometimes, especially as you are watching an intense game.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL should look at how they officiate playoff games. They have crews work together all season but then take the best refs from each crew to form the playoff crews. The lack of continuity can sometimes be eyebrow raising. The crew in last year's playoff game looked worse than any of the replacement refs looked. Aside from the missed PI on a play that turned into a pick-6, they also took forever setting the ball, essentially granting the Ravens some extra times out throughout the game, and at critical points where the Broncos lost opportunities to exploit them.

I think the games would be better if they regular crews stuck together for the playoff games. Other than that, there will always be limits on how well officials can call a game and get it right. It's an imperfect system run by imperfect guys. It's hard to remember that sometimes, especially as you are watching an intense game.

I completely agree. It just seems to be a bad year with a lot of bad calls for the zebras.