• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Admits 49ers fumble screw up

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The replay officials have been utter shit this year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It sure looked like a fumble to me but there are so many ridiculous rules involved now with fumbles I can't be sure. I long for the old days when if the running back or receiver didn't finish the play with the ball it was a fumble.

I thought it was close but I've seen them call plays like that incomplete far more then fumble so I thought it should've been called incomplete.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was close but I've seen them call plays like that incomplete far more then fumble so I thought it should've been called incomplete.

I've also seen them not call forward progress being stopped many times before and after the Bradshaw fumble. I know whistles are there to stop injuries that may occur after the play is deemed dead, but I wish they'd let it go until very clear and then review it if need be. Can they rule that forward progress has been stopped on a fumble review? Or just whether there was a knee down and who recovered it (even then I heard in last game a rule that basically states in a scrum you can't review who has it - by rule or practicality?)... ugh, I'm glad I'm not an official. I take that back, I wish I were an official for that game and either rule the ball didn't hit KW or the Bradshaw fumble was a fumble or some technicality on the Giants to nullify the OT fumble by KW.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It sure looked like a fumble to me but there are so many ridiculous rules involved now with fumbles I can't be sure. I long for the old days when if the running back or receiver didn't finish the play with the ball it was a fumble.

It wasn't a fumble because he didn't take two steps or make a football move. Source: Me screaming the rules at the damn TV.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't a fumble because he didn't take two steps or make a football move. Source: Me screaming the rules at the damn TV.

They say that it was the time element, as they suggested both feet touch after the grab. That might be the football move you are referring to, but I thought this video was good.

Official Review: Delanie Walker's fumble - NFL Videos

Look at 3:20 for the SF play, but the previous call reviewed has a related theme, so it might be worth watching.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seemed like Walker didn't have the ball as long as LMJ did on a similar play earlier in the game.

yehyeh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Pereira was on the radio Monday and he said that if MegaRef went to the review booth he would have overturned the call because Walker did not have two feet down. He seemed confident in this.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Pereira was on the radio Monday and he said that if MegaRef went to the review booth he would have overturned the call because Walker did not have two feet down. He seemed confident in this.

Ok, then his feet weren't down and the time element wasn't there - that's a bad call because I can see one element missed, but two?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say that it was the time element, as they suggested both feet touch after the grab. That might be the football move you are referring to, but I thought this video was good.

Official Review: Delanie Walker's fumble - NFL Videos

Look at 3:20 for the SF play, but the previous call reviewed has a related theme, so it might be worth watching.

The NFL needs to pull their heads out of their asses and start demonstrating an understanding of how bad calls impact not just a single play or even a single game but can impact on an entire season.

If they can't figure out how to review every turnover during the regular season at least figure out how to do it during the playoffs.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was obviously a non-catch and therefore not a fumble. If he had been in the endzone with the exact same play, I'm very confident they would not have given him a touchdown.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was obviously a non-catch and therefore not a fumble. If he had been in the endzone with the exact same play, I'm very confident they would not have given him a touchdown.

You mean they would have reversed it on review - yes? If so, I agree.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the "New Age" of Goodell's NFL I thought it was a fumble, but I don't agree with the shift in that direction. I am really surprised the NFL admitted any wrong doing in such a totalitarian atmosphere (reference to Goldson's fines).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they wouldn't even say they fucked up. Like with all of those playoff losses in the 1990s, it made it worse to have the NFL come out and say they fucked up. It doesn't change anything, it just makes the winning fans more arrogant.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
The NFL needs to pull their heads out of their asses and start demonstrating an understanding of how bad calls impact not just a single play or even a single game but can impact on an entire season.

If they can't figure out how to review every turnover during the regular season at least figure out how to do it during the playoffs.

Very true. In the season the Pack won the Super Bowl('10 I think) there was a TD for the Vikes that was ruled an incomplete pass. Of course the head of Officiating called the Vikes to apologize for the blown call.
Without that win, the Pack don't even make the playoffs that year.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. In the season the Pack won the Super Bowl('10 I think) there was a TD for the Vikes that was ruled an incomplete pass. Of course the head of Officiating called the Vikes to apologize for the blown call.
Without that win, the Pack don't even make the playoffs that year.

I remember that.

Well, the sad truth is that the NFL probably makes anywhere from 500 million to 1 billion more every time the Packers make the playoffs. Same goes for the Patriots and Steelers... so there is a pretty good reason as to why the NFL goes out of its way to win games for the Steelers, patriots, and Packers through bullshit officiating.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I remember that.

Well, the sad truth is that the NFL probably makes anywhere from 500 million to 1 billion more every time the Packers make the playoffs. Same goes for the Patriots and Steelers... so there is a pretty good reason as to why the NFL goes out of its way to win games for the Steelers, patriots, and Packers through bullshit officiating.

I don't doubt it one bit. A subtle call here and there can make the difference in a close game for sure.