• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Year's Cap Situation

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been seeing a lot of people talking about going out and getting a goalie and this and that, but that's really not a possibility without a trade.

The cap number for next year is rumored to be at $62.2M, a jump of $2.3M, which doesn’t even cover Giroux’s raise. Doing the math requires a lineup. So, thrust together if only for the reason of doing the math,

van Riemsdyk-Giroux-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-EMPTY
Versuck-Richards-EMPTY
Shitty-Betts-EMPTY

Timonen-Pronger
Meszaros-Carle
Coburn-Bartulis

Bobrovsky​

results in a total cap hit of $56,252,488. That’s a nightmare. We still need 3 forwards and a goalie just to be at the playable level, and only have $5,947,512 to do it. Assuming Carcillo, Powe, and Nodl come back, that should leave us with roughly $3M to spend on a 13th forward, a 7th defender, and a backup goalie. No chance at Bryzgalov. Slim chance at Vokoun. Slimmer chance at Leino returning.

Either a trade is coming, or nothing at all.

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Every year the FLyers look completely screwed by their cap hit, then they make moves that allow them to do what is needed. SUch as moving Gags to fit Mezsaros and Giroux's new deal.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Carle makes what 3.5? There's 3.5 mil i'd like to move for a forward or room for a goalie.

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been seeing a lot of people talking about going out and getting a goalie and this and that, but that's really not a possibility without a trade.

The cap number for next year is rumored to be at $62.2M, a jump of $2.3M, which doesn’t even cover Giroux’s raise. Doing the math requires a lineup. So, thrust together if only for the reason of doing the math,

van Riemsdyk-Giroux-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-EMPTY
Versuck-Richards-EMPTY
Shitty-Betts-EMPTY

Timonen-Pronger
Meszaros-Carle
Coburn-Bartulis

Bobrovsky​

results in a total cap hit of $56,252,488. That’s a nightmare. We still need 3 forwards and a goalie just to be at the playable level, and only have $5,947,512 to do it. Assuming Carcillo, Powe, and Nodl come back, that should leave us with roughly $3M to spend on a 13th forward, a 7th defender, and a backup goalie. No chance at Bryzgalov. Slim chance at Vokoun. Slimmer chance at Leino returning.

Either a trade is coming, or nothing at all.

JVR-Giroux-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Versteeg-Richy-Nodl
Carcillo-Betts-Powe
Shelly is the spare, who will play only against other teams that have a tough guy

Carle-Pronger
Timmonen-Coburn
Mesarjos-Bartulis

Bob
Leighton comes back if Healthy, or he is buried in Adrionack, or Emery comes back.

I don't think the Flyers will make big changes, because Coburn and Carle are UFA's after next year, and JVR will need a reup to, and the Versteeg expierment will be concluded along with the Leighton contract. The big changes come next year, not this offseason. Also can Carter really get hurt 4 years in a row in the playoffs, and Pronger can't have any worse luck than he had this past season. Flyers are a different team with Pronger, and thats another reason why no huge shakeup.

I wouldn't mind if Philly got rid of Versteeg, let Leino walk, for only the addition of Volkoun or Bryzgalov. Fill the 3rd line with more grit guys then and move Richy up to power up 2 lines and make the 3rd line a true checking line then. This could be an option, or move Hartnell to.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVR-Giroux-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Versteeg-Richy-Nodl
Carcillo-Betts-Powe
Shelly is the spare, who will play only against other teams that have a tough guy

Carle-Pronger
Timmonen-Coburn
Mesarjos-Bartulis

Bob
Leighton comes back if Healthy, or he is buried in Adrionack, or Emery comes back.

I don't think the Flyers will make big changes, because Coburn and Carle are UFA's after next year, and JVR will need a reup to, and the Versteeg expierment will be concluded along with the Leighton contract. The big changes come next year, not this offseason. Also can Carter really get hurt 4 years in a row in the playoffs, and Pronger can't have any worse luck than he had this past season. Flyers are a different team with Pronger, and thats another reason why no huge shakeup.

I wouldn't mind if Philly got rid of Versteeg, let Leino walk, for only the addition of Volkoun or Bryzgalov. Fill the 3rd line with more grit guys then and move Richy up to power up 2 lines and make the 3rd line a true checking line then. This could be an option, or move Hartnell to.

you wanna throw the same team out there again?

pronger doesn't make that big of a difference.. he's 36 and might need back surgery.. prongers' 25 minute nights are over.. i expect he'll play around 15-16 minutes from here on out.. he's no longer a difference maker on the ice.. especially not the difference between being swept (in about the most convincing sweep you can have) in the semis and winning the cup

the same team as this year will not win the cup next year. i promise. not to mention they don't have the money to resign leino as it stands

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pronger doesn't make that big of a difference.. he's 36 and might need back surgery.. prongers' 25 minute nights are over.. i expect he'll play around 15-16 minutes from here on out.. he's no longer a difference maker on the ice.. especially not the difference between being swept (in about the most convincing sweep you can have) in the semis and winning the cup

the same team as this year will not win the cup next year. i promise. not to mention they don't have the money to resign leino as it stands

I agree. Plus, conventional wisdom says the Flyers have a one year window of opportunity to win the Cup...so standing pat is NOT an option for Homer. I expect big changes.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

well...if the cap goes up by the expected amount then leino will be able to fit in there, thats without any other significant upgrades though

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...if the cap goes up by the expected amount then leino will be able to fit in there, thats without any other significant upgrades though

i'm not sure that it will.. giroux's new contract covers the basically entire increase (900k-3.75mil)..

i dont think they can fit powe, carcillo, nodl, and leino.. all of whom need new contracts

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well then we are just screwed then haha

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure that it will.. giroux's new contract covers the basically entire increase (900k-3.75mil)..

i dont think they can fit powe, carcillo, nodl, and leino.. all of whom need new contracts

We can't fit all of them but I'm not worried because there are many very good 4th line grinders out there that we can replace some of those guys with. I would hate to see Powe go but I don't know if we can afford to give him a raise.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ugh i got a bad feeling about this offseason.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Homer will get creative like he always does.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya i think it will be an offseason of change.. i really dont think there's any other option

IMO the goaltending problem will be addressed this offseason.. i dont think it's ever (keep in mind im 22) been this bad.. a big name needs to be brought in

i'm looking forward to it though, seeing a big name go to bring in a goalie will certainly be interesting.. i also think the flyers will try to add a player that is a true power forward.. a big guy that will throw the body but can still contribute.. they have a surplus of smaller guys willing to bang, its time to get that 6'3-6'4 guy that goes to the net hard and mixes things up in the crease on the PP.. i dont think JvR is that type of player, i think he will create scoring chances off the rush, not standing in front

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

My last pargraph said that I wouldn't mind geting rid of forwards for a goalie???

Pronger is a difference maker, and next year he will play about 20 minutes or less in the regular season, and that will go up in the playoffs. You are sadly mistaken if u think Pronger is done at 36.....

Small tweaks this offseason, because of all the contracts up next year, is what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.