• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New offensive language rules

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight, if a linebacker sacks Tom Brady and say's " stay the fuck down you homo!"

He can get a 15 yd penalty?????

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight, if a linebacker sacks Tom Brady and say's " stay the fuck down you homo!"

Yes. And anytime the NFL decides that Peyton Manning or some other high ratings grabber needs a penalty to allow his team to stay alive in the playoffs those flags will be a flying.

Basically they can call unsportsmanlike conduct at any time for any reason.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have they ever miked up a typical player and let him be himself during a game, then transcribed it? I could imagine a lot of typical players saying the n word 50 or 100+ times over 3 hours. Goddell is out of touch with reality.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you say that to Tom Brady at any time it's a penalty.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you say that to Tom Brady at any time it's a penalty.

Actually the fact that someone put their hands on Brady is a penalty.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it should be.

Just typing bad things about Tom on the interwebz should cost your team yards.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just dont swear or talk nasty about other ethnic groups, gay people,etc. Ive read all these posts and I :agree: with most all of you. I think the liberals should stay the fuck away from the NFL, but that wont happen.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the intention, yes.

How it will be enforced is anyone's guess (although in your example I could see there being a flag...)

As has been said, this is mostly to appease the networks, since IIRC the FCC can fine them for any audible profanity.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main concern of this is the "N" word and calling people any slurs that refer to homosexuality, and other racial epitaphs.

That being said, I'll bet you a Coke no one gets flagged for calling anyone a 'redneck' as I'm willing to bet this rule only applies to minority slurs.

And yes, it's sponsor driven.

What's going to be interesting is when one black player calls another the "N" word.

My guess is that refs wont throw the hankie unless there's some other stuff going on like fighting, and they'll use this to tack onto it.

Calling someone a redneck does not slander all whites, just the inbred rednecks.

Calling someone a ****er means the whole race.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have they ever miked up a typical player and let him be himself during a game, then transcribed it? I could imagine a lot of typical players saying the n word 50 or 100+ times over 3 hours. Goddell is out of touch with reality.

I'm guessing that they have the uncensored tapes of say, Ray Lewis, in the NFL Films archives. It would be interesting to go through it, for sure.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just dont swear or talk nasty about other ethnic groups, gay people,etc. Ive read all these posts and I :agree: with most all of you. I think the liberals should stay the fuck away from the NFL, but that wont happen.

Lol. How many NFL owners do you think are liberals?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you dont expand your business, it will die. Its quite simple. This is about expanding growth, not censorship. They want to get in even more living rooms and they and the networks that they work with feel that this is something thats needed to be done to help corner more demographics (family, children, women). Not that I mind the poor language that I hear on the field during a broadcast, but I am a little surprised they werent working on cleaning that up years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: