• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New ACC divisions and format, for football

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I want out of the ACC. But in order of deserving, Clemson is middle of the pack.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Andy Bitter article is pretty depressing: http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter...ing-format-for-when-pittsburgh-syracuse-join/

I think the comments to that article are correct-- teams aren't going to want more than a single difficult out of conference game and with B1G facing PAC starting in 2017, VT could lose the marquee matchups with Wisconsin especially in jeopardy.

Regarding WVU to ACC, that would never happen. The academics are not good enough in Morgantown. Syracuse and Pitt are #62 and #58 nationwide while WVU is #164. ACC will not admit dipshit schools.

BTW nice Iafrate avatar, 46. He is one of my favorite Caps along with Bondra and Langway.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is bullshit. I really hope Clemson finds a way to leave the ACC for a place that actually cares about football.

What is so wrong about this format? It's essentially the same as before for Clemson. Add Syracuse in football replace the second FSU game with Cuse and Pitt in basketball.

Honestly, this was probably the best decision for the difficult choices to be made. It would seem that the most powerful football and basketball programs keep their highest priority wishes. Certainly tradition has taken a beating with additional rivalries lost. 14 teams is obviously screwy, and it's probably a temporary situation. Hopefully, an opportunity to reunite old rivalries will present itself in the future.

I feel bad for NC State losing their second Carolina game in basketball the most. It's a tragedy to see two state schools seperated like that, but it's the cost of expansion (and State's lack of relevancy).

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh.. this was the first time you won the ACC in 20 years and now you think you are high and mighty? Not to mention the last time you won the ACC (1991), FSU, Miami, VT, BC weren't even in it.

Where in my post did I claim Clemson was "high and mighty?" I implied that the Pitt and Syracuse do nothing to advance the quality of football in the ACC. It's been that way since the inception of the conference (save for VT); the NC schools pay lip service to football while furthering basketball. Ya'll just haven't been around long enough to realize what's really going on, but a few more years of the conference wallowing in the cesspool of mediocrity should clear any delusions of grandeur you have left.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is bullshit. I really hope Clemson finds a way to leave the ACC for a place that actually cares about football.

I suppose Clemson would have a lot more credibility if they hadn't allowed WVU to mop the floor with them, and score basketball numbers in their BCS match.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am not going to trash talk Clemson fans after last season.

Im with ya, like i said before i'd be pissed too if we got syracuse.

Agreed - Branch or whoever his name was pretty much did everything but hang brains and T-Bag our OL in both games.

Ballboy is also a veteran poster from the ESPN Boards as well who was recruited by some of us to start posting on SportsHoopla. So back off biatches!

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - Branch or whoever his name was pretty much did everything but hang brains and T-Bag our OL in both games.

Ballboy is also a veteran poster from the ESPN Boards as well who was recruited by some of us to start posting on SportsHoopla. So back off biatches!

No no no, I appreciate the support fellas, but I have no issue with defending what I said. I ventured over the to Hokie board so I'll stand alone in this pillow fight. Looks like some simply took what I said and ran with it, assuming I was implying something. Guess they're all caught up in the SportsHoopla of an election year, but unlike politicians, I don't hide meaning in straightforward statements.

The ACC continues to show it's preference for basketball, and now with Syracuse in a division that already houses perennial football powers Maryland, NC State, Florida State, and Boston College, you'll have to forgive me for being pissed off that the mediocre competition has gotten more mediocre (didn't think that was possible). I don't think that Clemson is leaps and bounds above the conference as a whole or teams not named UNC, but to get better we need to play better competition. Syracuse and Pitt are not the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to the wvu thing, hellllll no! There is a no trash policy in the ACC. One of our more respectable qualities. They are the scum of the earth.
Onto moving conferences, Clemson has every right to be looking around for what opportunities that are out there, but I don't think the Big 12 is a good matchup at all for them. That being said, they may not have an option if certain things fall into place.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want the SEC... and BAD. Like Kendall Fuller and Bucky Hodges bad. AND MORE!
forget going to the big ten. I would rather be in a watered-down ACC than the big 10. We need to keep our Southern cultural ties. Our school's first president was a Civil War Confederate General. Something I am very proud of, I might add. The money, exposure, respect, recruiting, everything, all lie in God's Conference. Adding Pitt and Cuse didnt make me happy, and I am very sick of how the All Carolina Conference continues to move forward with basketball, when our agenda is football, and football is where all the money is. There is talk of 80 million a year going to SEC schools once the SEC Network is up and running for a few years. When you add us and NC state, look at it on a map. FOOTPRINT! Winning. I pray that if the opportunity ever did arise to where we could get the invite that we wouldnt F it up, and ruin our chance of future success and relevance.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hate to say it -- but i think that if VT wanted to join the SEC -- that the powers that be would've already had their talks behind closed-doors.

VT, by most accounts, is at the top of the SEC's want-list .. if we were going there, we'd probably already know about it.

If there is any truth to the Big 12 expansion rumors and the ACC loses a few big names (Clemson and FSU for example), I'd look for everyone to start scurrying away and the ACC could fall apart and end up looking more like the old Big East + UNC/Duke

If the ball drops and Clemson/FSU to the Big 12, I could see VT/NC State to the SEC and UVA/MD to the B1G .. but I don't think any of this happens any time soon. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know how I know it's the offseason? Expansion talk has broken out again!

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like to me the ACC is trying to be relevant in both basketball and football, which is no easy feat.

Certainly Pitt and Syracuse didn't help in football, but I think you can make the argument that Syracuse is highly relevant in basketball.

What the ACC needs is for the "top tier" programs who are already there to live up to their lofty ambitions.

Va Tech, Florida State, Clemson, and Miami need to win their out of conference and bowl games. It's not enough for them to just knock off whoever is the top contender in the ACC every year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Seems like to me the ACC is trying to be relevant in both basketball and football, which is no easy feat.

Certainly Pitt and Syracuse didn't help in football, but I think you can make the argument that Syracuse is highly relevant in basketball.

What the ACC needs is for the "top tier" programs who are already there to live up to their lofty ambitions.

Va Tech, Florida State, Clemson, and Miami need to win their out of conference and bowl games. It's not enough for them to just knock off whoever is the top contender in the ACC every year.

I completely agree but let me just say that given the time, i think that Pitt can be a contender in football.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
46, do you sense that their is a general excitement about joining the ACC? Do you think that being in a new conference will draw some fans back out to the stadium?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
46, do you sense that their is a general excitement about joining the ACC? Do you think that being in a new conference will draw some fans back out to the stadium?

There was an initial hesitancy about basketball because they were losing the Big East which is a lot deeper than the ACC, but Cuse coming helped. When it sunk in that they would be losing games with UConn and Louisville but gaining games with Duke and UNC it became exciting.

As far as football, it was seen as a huge upgrade. Pitt fans love the move and want to join yesterday. I don't know if it will help the draw at all though. The teams needs to get more consistent. Playing in a city with a pro team and an off-campus stadium that needs a bus ride at least makes it tough.