• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska @ Northwestern Week 2012

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We win by playing discliplined and hungry at the line. The question is whether they can do that.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We win by playing discliplined and hungry at the line. The question is whether they can do that.

That's how Northwestern plays, believe it or not. It's how they beat us last year.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have seen moments when this team plays to it's capabilities and if they somehow put a whole game together they will trash Northwestern.

That is a giant if though and I am not holding my breath.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can we win, how can we win? Our team is so discombobulated that it's hard for me to think we can win this game.

That's the big question.

As JJM pointed out Nebraska's played stiffer competion, but they've also lost 2 out of 3 to that stiffer competition and trailed a great deal in their one win over that stiffer competition.
As you can tell by their ranking, nobody's buying the Pelini product anymore (AP 34th, Coaches 31st) because the same issues of penalties, turnovers, and poor rushing defense have become a pattern under his leadership. It's year 3 defensively (ie..post Suh).

I've absorbed all of the talk since the Ohio St debacle from Pelini about how angry they are, how hungry they are, how they know what their problems are and that they'll fix them but they haven't to this point midway through year 5. We heard the same thing after UCLA, Wisconsin, last year, the year before, ad nauseum.

I've seen where some have said that Nebraska won't lose back-to-back games because of this anger/hunger so I guess we can hang our hats on that.

It's too late too make changes that will fix the woes of this team regarding offensive and defensive line play (whether it's strength and conditioning, coaching, execution, whatever). I expect Nebraska to crawl into a shell and rely on the running game offensively. They are loaded with talent at the receiver spots, but it's too risky to try to get the ball to them unless Nebraska's already trailing and trying to catch up. The Huskers don't pass block well, and when Taylor gets pressure he loses composure. It's just how it is.

I think Nebraska will win this game, but it wouldn't surprise me one iota if they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NW is tough at home and I think a lot of this game depends on how much Fitz uses Colter at QB. The Huskers simply cant stop mobile QB's so I think it is incumbent on NW to play Colter more at QB as opposed to their 2 back system theyve been using. I hope the Huskers win because that gives NW another loss but Ill take NW 35-31. Should be an exciting game though.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NW is tough at home and I think a lot of this game depends on how much Fitz uses Colter at QB. The Huskers simply cant stop mobile QB's so I think it is incumbent on NW to play Colter more at QB as opposed to their 2 back system theyve been using. I hope the Huskers win because that gives NW another loss but Ill take NW 35-31. Should be an exciting game though.

Or use Colter as a focus decoy and let Venric Mark rip you to pieces. NW is actually more diverse offensively than Ohio St is.

I figure 38-24 Huskers, but I could see NW @ 31 if this Venric Mark breaks a punt return against a suspect Nebraska return defense.
He's broken 2 for TD's this year and Ohio St broke one against Nebraska.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how Northwestern plays, believe it or not. It's how they beat us last year.

thats like the "3 keys to winning" are usually all the same

1. Establish the run
2. Stop the run
3. Dont turn the ball over.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or use Colter as a focus decoy and let Venric Mark rip you to pieces. NW is actually more diverse offensively than Ohio St is.

I figure 38-24 Huskers, but I could see NW @ 31 if this Venric Mark breaks a punt return against a suspect Nebraska return defense.
He's broken 2 for TD's this year and Ohio St broke one against Nebraska.

Sure Mark is a HUGE piece of what NW does but he is way more effective when Colter is in. Thats tough to stop. I think Nebraska has a good shot but they need to have 1 or fewer turnovers and their defense has to at least slow NW down a bit ( I dont think they can stop them really but making them run 7-10 plays to score is better than 2-3 plays)

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody want to know why K. State is where they are with lesser talent in Snyder (version 2)?

Rushing Offense 11th
Rushing Defense 15th
Turnover Margin 7th
Punt Returns 2nd
Kickoff returns 19th
Fewest Penalties Per Game 2nd
Fewest Yds Penalized Per Game 1st

There ya have it. Bill Snyder is a great coach. His teams play disciplined football. He pays attention to detail.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure Mark is a HUGE piece of what NW does but he is way more effective when Colter is in. Thats tough to stop. I think Nebraska has a good shot but they need to have 1 or fewer turnovers and their defense has to at least slow NW down a bit ( I dont think they can stop them really but making them run 7-10 plays to score is better than 2-3 plays)[/QUOTE]

The key to any football game really.

Nebraska has a bad habit of giving their opponent the short field w/ turnovers (ie..2-3 plays).
Even when they don't give them the short field, NU allows teams to convert 3rd and longs way too often extending their drives out to 7-10 plays.

NU is not a good team and gets favored in these types of games in name only. It's certainly not performance.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still personally think Snyder knows how to build a team.......which means he knows how to recruit the pieces.

He gets a couple skill guys (because that's all you need) and then focuses on getting guys who can do work in the trenches.

Bo freaked out after the 2009 season and decided to turn his attention over to the Offense..........and now that's all we have. We have about 10 skill players who could be playing at several different major Programs.......and we can't use them all. We have way too much talent at some positions and nothing at all at other positions.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has to be a balance when it comes to recruiting........you can't just look at what you're currently good at and then forget about recruiting to that area just because you're good there right now.....

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
I thought northwestern'ners were considered smart. Who's Hernandez?:dhd:

I've been saying it all season: when Big Red comes to Evanston, they're coming for retribution on last season when we stoned them in their place. Don't think Big Red, think Big Blood.

Ugh. I'm trying to watch this with an old colleague who attended Nebraska so I have someone to talk smack to on game day, but he told me he may be travelling to Chicago to meet up with his family and take on this game.

I have a feeling if Pelini gets up by 3 TDs on us he won't hesitate to run it up. I hope our D is ready for a much-improved Hernandez, because they're certainly going to be ready for us.

GO 'CATS! SHUCK THOSE HUSKERS

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
Sorry.... That and this from a Northwestern's forum... LMAO..

Nebraskans will be scared by buildings higher than 5 stories.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun at the high school stadium this weekend. I hate those little NW faggots

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can we win, how can we win? Our team is so discombobulated that it's hard for me to think we can win this game.

I suppose because NW is nothing special. They've built a nice record vs awful opponents. I'd say they are as good as Wisconsin and we really had to fuck things up to keep them in it. Coming off the worst game of the year, I expect a bounce back as Bo's teams have had a tendency to do. More physical and more emotion. This team is not as bad as they played in Columbus. I know it was embarrassing and all that but it's time to move on.