• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA president Mark Emmert calls for 'scholarships for life' in meeting with Senate panel

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,753.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA president Mark Emmert says college athletes should receive "scholarships for life."

Emmert also told a Senate panel Wednesday that scholarships should also cover full cost of attending college, not just the basics.

Emmert listed seven changes he favors in testimony before the Senate Commerce Committee. He said he hopes some will come about if Division I schools decide to remake their decision-making structure in the coming weeks.

The hearing comes as the NCAA faces pressure from multiple fronts to reform how athletes are treated and compensated.

Emmert said he feels college sports "works extremely well for the vast majority" and the overall current model of amateurism should be preserved.

Source: ESPN

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so once u get offered a scholarship u can just sit in college the rest of your life? seems like a sweet deal

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will it be retro-active?

hqdefault.jpg

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got me "good" eye open now ME. Good stuff for those athletes who represent their schools well.

I think more schools do this than get credit for it. I know Texas offers it to guys that leave for NFL. You fulfill your end and the University will be there for you. I doubt Texas is alone in this regard. Its just not as good a story as guys getting schollies pulled

badinflu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cool with it. Now guys can major in "going pro" and take their b.s. classes to stay eligible. Then If things don't work out, they come back and get a degree

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

The NCAA is getting desperate. They see the writing on the wall.

Pay the kids. Drop the bullshit student athlete tag. Let's grow the tax base. The whining players want money well it's time to grow up. We will now see fewer academic suspensions and more tax evasion ones. :laugh3:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that the NCAA realizes that dramatic changes to the current system are likely forthcoming. Scholarship for life sounds very different from the one year deals that student athletes now get.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he essentially saying "we want our athletes to take bullshit classes while they play for our sports teams so after their eligibility is over they can come back and actually learn something"?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he essentially saying "we want our athletes to take bullshit classes while they play for our sports teams so after their eligibility is over they can come back and actually learn something"?

Exactly. Student athlete is out the friggin window. Pay these assholes already and let's tax em.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Student athlete is out the friggin window. Pay these assholes already and let's tax em.

How about NO scholarships at all? Let them pay their own way like everyone else does. Don't qualify for a scholastic scholarship? Too bad. Too poor to pay for it out of your own pocket? Too bad. Get a loan like everybody else does. Don't want to do either? Then go pump gas somewhere or get on welfare like all your loser buddies who aren't going to school and weren't blessed with talent from God. And the benefit to the "athlete"? He could drop out at any time and go pro.