• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Bylaws/Twitter

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tonycav21tony cavallaro
@marseanbaybee is a beast on the field and he is helping recruit the top recruits to com to umd two words Kendall Fuller

Could this following tweet be indicative of a violation? Depending on this guys status, it might be a violation during the quiet period. I'm asking, not stating.

CarsonShirley94Carson Shirley
@hdtlives4christ @jeffrjowers I need to find him on Twitter to show him some Clemson love. I recruit Kendall Fuller HARD on here.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
tonycav21tony cavallaro
@marseanbaybee is a beast on the field and he is helping recruit the top recruits to com to umd two words Kendall Fuller

Could this following tweet be indicative of a violation? Depending on this guys status, it might be a violation during the quiet period. I'm asking, not stating.

@hdtlives4christ @jeffrjowers I need to find him on Twitter to show him some Clemson love. I recruit Kendall Fuller HARD on here.

no "booster" (a very loose term IMO) should be "recruiting" anyone.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tonycav21tony cavallaro

@marseanbaybee is Stefon Diggs, current Maryland player via Good Council

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
tonycav21tony cavallaro

God I looked at this kids Twitter page and what a goober. Looks like the nerdy kid in Little Giants. Hunzworth is right, but it won't be enforced because it's too easy for any fan to talk to a recruit on twitter.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tonycav21tony cavallaro

I don't think those kids are considered boosters, but even if they were, they already had a prior relationship before either of their college recruitments. Kyle Fuller is doing the same for us and Blake Countess is doing the same for Michigan. I don't think it really matters at all with current players though.... Doesn't the quiet period only pertain to coaches and staff?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
*I don't think those kids are considered boosters*, but even if they were, they already had a prior relationship before either of their college recruitments. Kyle Fuller is doing the same for us and Blake Countess is doing the same for Michigan. I don't think it really matters at all with current players though.... Doesn't the quiet period only pertain to coaches and staff?

no there is no prob with that. I didnt realize who carson shirley was and just assumed it was a fan. Like others have said it will never be enforced but some folks may be surprised what the NCAA considers a booster.

*no recruits or even verbally committed players arent considered boosters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no there is no prob with that. I didnt realize who carson shirley was and just assumed it was a fan. Like others have said it will never be enforced but some folks may be surprised what the NCAA considers a booster.

*no recruits or even verbally committed players arent considered boosters.

Its far more complicated. There are many sections of the rulebook that addresses the subject, and the rules are far more restrictive than you could imagine. The definition of periods come into play, as does the definitions of representatives, and several other sections as well.

When it comes to contact with a prospect, just about every type of contact, by every type of person, is covered in the rulebook. I just did another skim through, with the intention of posting the parts involved, but quickly nixed that thought after 10 minutes of reading.

Having current players talking to prospects, even if they went to the same school, is not allowed, especially during certain periods. There are counters that tally each contact, and depending on the type of contact, and who makes the contact, and when they make the contact, and if they are permitted by the institution to make the contact or not, could be a violation of a rule. Some accidental contacts are spelled out as being OK, but even those are somewhat problematic.

It would require a thorough read through of the rulebook for a novice like me to be able to even attempt a response to the question.

No wonder ADs hire a compliance officer for these things.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Its far more complicated. There are many sections of the rulebook that addresses the subject, and the rules are far more restrictive than you could imagine. The definition of periods come into play, as does the definitions of representatives, and several other sections as well.

When it comes to contact with a prospect, just about every type of contact, by every type of person, is covered in the rulebook. I just did another skim through, with the intention of posting the parts involved, but quickly nixed that thought after 10 minutes of reading.

Having current players talking to prospects, even if they went to the same school, is not allowed, especially during certain periods. <--- as long as they knew each other before the prospects recruitment there is no prob with a committed player or even a guy on roster contacting a recruit.There are counters that tally each contact, and depending on the type of contact, and who makes the contact, and when they make the contact, and if they are permitted by the institution to make the contact or not, could be a violation of a rule. Some accidental contacts are spelled out as being OK, but even those are somewhat problematic.

It would require a thorough read through of the rulebook for a novice like me to be able to even attempt a response to the question.

No wonder ADs hire a compliance officer for these things.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having current players talking to prospects, even if they went to the same school, is not allowed, especially during certain periods. <--- as long as they knew each other before the prospects recruitment there is no prob with a committed player or even a guy on roster contacting a recruit.

Don't think so, not from what I can tell.

I'm looking at the "NCAA DIVISION 1 MANUAL", effective August 1, 2011, which is the current governing document for all Div 1 sports.

Give me the bylaw number you believe applies.

Take a look at 13.01.4, 13.02.14, 13.1.2.1, 13.1.2.2, 13.1.3.8.1.1

Then, consider the infamous bump rule, 13.1.2.7

To me, its pretty clear, but if I've missed something, kindly point me to it.

Special J

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't think so, not from what I can tell.

I'm looking at the "NCAA DIVISION 1 MANUAL", effective August 1, 2011, which is the current governing document for all Div 1 sports.

Give me the bylaw number you believe applies.

Take a look at 13.01.4, 13.02.14, 13.1.2.1, 13.1.2.2, 13.1.3.8.1.1

Then, consider the infamous bump rule, 13.1.2.7

To me, its pretty clear, but if I've missed something, kindly point me to it.

Who gives a shit. It is impossible to monitor and means absolutely nothing unless every player, recruit, and school is going to be punished.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit. It is impossible to monitor and means absolutely nothing unless every player, recruit, and school is going to be punished.

You have to be kidding. Violations could make the recruit ineligible at the institution committing the violation.

It might have cost UF getting Spiller, when Tebow watched TV with him.

Saban got raked last year, for a bump rule question.

It happens all the time.

Im really freekin glad that you have zero responsibility regarding NCAA rule compliance at any university.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
living in a world where he thinks everything is black and white ... it would be like expecting LAPD to arrest everyone involved in the riots years ago or expecting the fuzz to knock on every door that has a ****-pirate living there .. statistically impossible #GotSwagAt66

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
living in a world where he thinks everything is black and white ... it would be like expecting LAPD to arrest everyone involved in the riots years ago or expecting the fuzz to knock on every door that has a ****-pirate living there .. statistically impossible #GotSwagAt66

Thats some dumb shit right there.

I don't write them. The NCAA member institutions, like VT do. They want rules. They are called by-LAWS, because they have consequences if you violate them.

Tell me Sparko, Special J, what laws do you not give a shit about? Is it ok to steal, is a jurisdiction doesn't have enough cops to enforce laws?

The riots are OK with you, because it was a mass of people committing the crimes?

FYI, LAPD did charge many many violators, by looking at film after the fact.

Most of the very serious violators were indeed charged.

You're illogic and seemingly total disregard of laws, simply because they may be difficult to enforce, is mind-boggling.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FYI, Im not fighting. We are discussing a legitimate issue here, what do the rules ALLOW. So, I read them.

Im not discussing enforcement, as you seem to be attempting.

I am not inclined to argue that issue with you. I really don't give a shit what you think. I'm more concerned with football, its rules, and what is allowed during recruitment. Period.

Special J

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thats some dumb shit right there.

I don't write them. The NCAA member institutions, like VT do. They want rules. They are called by-LAWS, because they have consequences if you violate them.

Tell me Sparko, Special J, what laws do you not give a shit about? Is it ok to steal, is a jurisdiction doesn't have enough cops to enforce laws?

The riots are OK with you, because it was a mass of people committing the crimes?

FYI, LAPD did charge many many violators, by looking at film after the fact.

Most of the very serious violators were indeed charged.

You're illogic and seemingly total disregard of laws, simply because they may be difficult to enforce, is mind-boggling.

No....I just dont give a shit about stupid Twitter crap because a few teenagers are chatting up about schools and such. I come here to talk about recruiting, not my love of laws and regulations. You always seem to go on these rants about meaningless shit and I don't think I am the only one that wants to :frusty: when I read them. I value open discussion and expressing of opinions jst as much as the next person, but please keep your posts on topic and within reason.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No....I just dont give a shit about stupid Twitter crap because a few teenagers are chatting up about schools and such. I come here to talk about recruiting, not my love of laws and regulations. You always seem to go on these rants about meaningless shit and I don't think I am the only one that wants to :frusty: when I read them. I value open discussion and expressing of opinions jst as much as the next person, but please keep your posts on topic and within reason.

The NCAA rules are meaningless shit? I didn't rant about anything, so take your fucking ad hominems and personal attacks somewhere else asshole.

If you come here to talk about recruiting, should't you know what the fuck the recruiting bylaws allow before saying stupid shit?

I said nothing about twitter. The rules apply to contact of any type. Try reading them.

I posted what the rules state, nothing more, nothing less. Thats when you immaturely entered the discussion, with your who gives a shit nonsense.

Like I said, I didnt write them.

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To the "I'm really, really mad about NCAA recruiting bylaws" thread.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You don't like what you're seeing on Twitter, stop reading it.

And for sure, stop repeating it in the middle of recruiting threads. If you want to create a "Let's repeat tweets I'm interested in" thread, why don't you create a separate "Repeated tweets" thread. Why spam the recruiting threads?

Sometimes the stuff might actually be interesting, but when you are repeating stuff about recruit's altercations, it really belongs somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator: