• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what's kind of funny about USC, when we get it right...we get it really, really right and win National Championships and Heisman trophies. But the only time we've gotten it right with back to back coaches was when John Robinson followed John McKay. Seems like it ends up being about every 3 or 4th coach...so we should be due. lol

Well, Miami after Butch landed Coker (won a title, but the degression started with him), Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Mark Richt, and now Manny Diaz. Like I said, I can't throw stones at USC, and at least they give a shit, where Miami's administration up until recently hasn't as they figured they could skate by based on past success while the CFB landscape changed drastically around them. But, CFB is very fun when USC and Miami are good. I hope we can get back to those days.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Miami after Butch landed Coker (won a title, but the degression started with him), Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Mark Richt, and now Manny Diaz. Like I said, I can't throw stones at USC, and at least they give a shit, where Miami's administration up until recently hasn't as they figured they could skate by based on past success while the CFB landscape changed drastically around them. But, CFB is very fun when USC and Miami are good. I hope we can get back to those days.

USC has had similar administrative issues. I agree that at least they still cared, but they got stuck in the past and kept insisting that whoever they hired had to be an ''SC guy'' because they kept trying to re-create the Pete Carroll era. As you said, cfb has changed. Heck, I'm not sure that Pete Carroll could re-create the Pete Carroll era if he came back. He's 70 now and has kind of become rigid in his style of football.

I agree that cfb is better when Miami and USC are good...hopefully, both can get back to some semblance of that.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC has had similar administrative issues. I agree that at least they still cared, but they got stuck in the past and kept insisting that whoever they hired had to be an ''SC guy'' because they kept trying to re-create the Pete Carroll era. As you said, cfb has changed. Heck, I'm not sure that Pete Carroll could re-create the Pete Carroll era if he came back. He's 70 now and has kind of become rigid in his style of football.

I agree that cfb is better when Miami and USC are good...hopefully, both can get back to some semblance of that.

I honestly think CFB is more of a grind than the NFL. I don't think most coaches would make it in their 70's at a high clip, unless you're someone like Saban that has resources and a pattern set. And I wasn't aware of the culture that USC was trying to hire a "USC" guy; Miami goes through the same thing, most of our fanbase wants a "Miami" guy, and it honestly is head scratching. Our most successful coaches (Schnelly, Jimmy Johnson, and Erickson) were not initially "Miami" guys. Just give me a dude that wins.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,121.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe you wanted to replace him with Marcus Mariota
Meh...I was pissed after he fumbled. His biggest issue is fumbling and not running when he can't find an open receiver.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think CFB is more of a grind than the NFL. I don't think most coaches would make it in their 70's at a high clip, unless you're someone like Saban that has resources and a pattern set. And I wasn't aware of the culture that USC was trying to hire a "USC" guy; Miami goes through the same thing, most of our fanbase wants a "Miami" guy, and it honestly is head scratching. Our most successful coaches (Schnelly, Jimmy Johnson, and Erickson) were not initially "Miami" guys. Just give me a dude that wins.

Yeah, if Pete had stayed, he likely would have been similar to Saban. Except, watching him in Seattle, he has become rigid, so I'm not certain he would have been able to sustain it like Saban has because I'm not sure he would be as willing to change as Saban has been. But he did have resources and a pattern set.

I'm the same way...to me, an "SC guy" is a guy who wins. Period. None of McKay, Robinson or Carroll were "SC guys" when they were hired.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick came from the Parcells tree., so some who say Parcells would be incorrect.
Well some say Bellichek was the brains of the operation the entire time

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well some say Bellichek was the brains of the operation the entire time
Cool....but BB came from the Parcell's tree. Not really debatable. Though I don't doubt you might try.

Ya thought you had a zinger. You failed. Try the Jerk Store next time. :noidea:

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool....but BB came from the Parcell's tree. Not really debatable. Though I don't doubt you might try.

Ya thought you had a zinger. You failed. Try the Jerk Store next time. :noidea:
I see normal conversation continues to evade you. Cool

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if Pete had stayed, he likely would have been similar to Saban. Except, watching him in Seattle, he has become rigid, so I'm not certain he would have been able to sustain it like Saban has because I'm not sure he would be as willing to change as Saban has been. But he did have resources and a pattern set.

I'm the same way...to me, an "SC guy" is a guy who wins. Period. None of McKay, Robinson or Carroll were "SC guys" when they were hired.

Good point on Saban. That's what makes him the greatest CFB coach. His ability to quickly ditch his style and adapt to the spread offenses. I've seen my fair share of coaches that can't let go of something they're comfortable with, only to fail. Saban's willing to reinvent himself and not stay married to a system. That's why he's consitent, well, that and he's retentive as shit and has extreme OCD.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point on Saban. That's what makes him the greatest CFB coach. His ability to quickly ditch his style and adapt to the spread offenses. I've seen my fair share of coaches that can't let go of something they're comfortable with, only to fail. Saban's willing to reinvent himself and not stay married to a system. That's why he's consitent, well, that and he's retentive as shit and has extreme OCD.

If memory serves, that was how Kiffin ended up being his OC. Saban had spent a couple of years complaining about "hurry up, no huddle" wide open offenses. When it became apparent that no one was listening, he brought Kiffin in just to show him a few things about those types of offenses and ended up hiring him. Helped him stay on top of cfb and probably saved Kiffins career.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, that was how Kiffin ended up being his OC. Saban had spent a couple of years complaining about "hurry up, no huddle" wide open offenses. When it became apparent that no one was listening, he brought Kiffin in just to show him a few things about those types of offenses and ended up hiring him. Helped him stay on top of cfb and probably saved Kiffins career.

This is a funny headline.

Lane Kiffin left behind by Alabama buses again (12/29/16)

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...I was pissed after he fumbled. His biggest issue is fumbling and not running when he can't find an open receiver.
You are a knee jerk reaction kind of guy

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was definitely a mutually beneficial relationship.