• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno got 3 and 105.

Damn…..

I thought he got a lot less

I hate both of those lol

Unless they had one year outs…which they don’t

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn…..

I hate both of those lol

Seattle could move on now but looks like they want to try running it back woth him for this coming season and probably draft a QB in '25 or go another direction with a FA in the '25 FA period.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn…..

I hate both of those lol

The value on these deals are probably sound in the end. Here’s the lay of the land at QB. You’re paying a QB regardless if you want him after his first contract. So you need to be right. If after the first contract you aren’t convinced you have a top 5-10 guy in the league…it’s time to reset the plan at QB because even if you have a middle of the road guy he’s getting paid over 30 million and closer to 40 million (Daniel Jones). The value isn’t there on those guys. The only value they hold is if you draft a project who you want to be the starter in year 3. You bring on mediocre Geno or Baker to hold it down for 2 years so the rest of the roster can develop with competent QB play.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value on these deals are probably sound in the end. Here’s the lay of the land at QB. You’re paying a QB regardless if you want him after his first contract. So you need to be right. If after the first contract you aren’t convinced you have a top 5-10 guy in the league…it’s time to reset the plan at QB because even if you have a middle of the road guy he’s getting paid over 30 million and closer to 40 million (Daniel Jones). The value isn’t there on those guys. The only value they hold is if you draft a project who you want to be the starter in year 3. You bring on mediocre Geno or Baker to hold it down for 2 years so the rest of the roster can develop with competent QB play.

Yeah. That’s what I mean

If he’s not elite, trade him off, cycle and do it again

You can find these middle of the road guys fairly easily

Tenn got tannehill cheap

Geno smith was cheap

Baker etc

Take your profits and move on

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. That’s what I mean

Tenn got tannehill cheap

Geno smith was cheap

Baker etc

Agree 110%. My team is now saying: Were we right on Hurts? I think in the end they were but he’s not Mahomes P Manning or Brady. Those guys are the rare air where it doesn’t matter who they had around them or calling the offense. Most QBs need to be in the right system and have pieces around them. Some of this equation was missing for the Eagles last year. The Sirianni system got figured out and the 2023 staff got exposed for not being able to adjust within the offense. They got worse and as a result the QB looked worse down the stretch. Revisit this at the end of next season but the Eagles are definitely on notice for whether or not making that investment in Hurts was worth it.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. That’s what I mean

Tenn got tannehill cheap

Geno smith was cheap

Baker etc

Depends what your goals are. Tannenhill probably by "end of life" here isn't replacement level play anymore.

If you're a GM needing to win your decision becomes a bit more complicated.

But ultimately I agree the smart move is not to double down on a Daniel Jones type and blow the cap.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. That’s what I mean

Tenn got tannehill cheap

Geno smith was cheap

Baker etc

The other side of this:
Once you get the top 10 QB and he slots for 50-60 mil, you now have a single contract you can use to manipulate cap and kick the can down the road. Watch how quickly the Browns are able to do shenanigans to open up cap because of the way they structured Watson. On a year by year basis, they have the ability to rework his stuff to free up what’s needed. Some years that could be 8 million some years 15 million etc… When the market doesn’t look like it’s strong they can use those years to pay off more of the Watson cap nut.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what your goals are. Tannenhill probably by "end of life" here isn't replacement level play anymore.

But ultimately I agree the smart move is not to double down on a Daniel Jones type and blow the cap.

You can give him big dollars if you can escape escape after year 1.

Now the giants are kinda stuck and may not be able to get the qb they want

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other side of this:
Once you get the top 10 QB and he slots for 50-60 mil, you now have a single contract you can use to manipulate cap and kick the can down the road. Watch how quickly the Browns are able to do shenanigans to open up cap because of the way they structured Watson. On a year by year basis, they have the ability to rework his stuff to free up what’s needed. Some years that could be 8 million some years 15 million etc… When the market doesn’t look like it’s strong they can use those years to pay off more of the Watson cap nut.

They will finally pay the piper next year though. Whether it be in Chubb or Conklin etc. Eventually paying your qb costs you some guys.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s why I think you need consistency in the front office. GMs need a decade. Sometimes you need to make a mistake or move backwards to fix a situation long term. Sometimes the smart move is we know we won’t win but we are preparing to do so 2-3 years from now with a 4-5 year window with multiple swings. The knee jerk organizations like Carolina and others will always fail.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other side of this:

Yup.

I think hurts can be the guy. And they can use his deal to move around

But the real window is before that contract

Years 2-5 really

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will finally pay the piper next year though. Whether it be in Chubb or Conklin etc. Eventually paying your qb costs you some guys.

Move on from Chubb, easy call

Titans letting Conklin go is still haunting them to this day

What a horrible horrible franchise

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can give him big dollars if you can escape escape after year 1.

Now the giants are kinda stuck and may not be able to get the qb they want

I'd have to look as his deal. It was a weird one even by NFL standards. I know they owe him this year. If anything if I'm New York I look at Fields and see what if anything I have there...especially if helps value drops to a 3rd or lower.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move on from Chubb, easy call

Titans letting Conklin go is still haunting them to this day

What a horrible horrible franchise

They will pay Nick this year. So much will depend on how he plays

Again...the only running back in NFL history to average 5 yards 5 years in a row. That's nuts. But an ACL later....prob not the same guy.