• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Napoleon (2023)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josephine poster:

jy8tvymkfojb1.jpg

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consensus seems to be that this is a movie that has some really good scenes and should be seen in theaters but doesn't fully come together. Still planning on seeing it with the wife.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consensus seems to be that this is a movie that has some really good scenes and should be seen in theaters but doesn't fully come together. Still planning on seeing it with the wife.
I think the battle scenes are supposed to be top rate. I'm not sure about the rest of it. I'm not sure how many will find that interesting.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the battle scenes are supposed to be top rate. I'm not sure about the rest of it. I'm not sure how many will find that interesting.
I wouldn't say top rate but they were alright.

Napoleon is a 2 1/2 hour s**tpost.

Its pretty clear that it likes Napoleon about as much as Dead Don't Die likes zombie movies, Jarhead likes the American military and The Last Jedi likes Star Wars. I suspect most people will hate Napoleon although I dont think its a bad movie. Its just not a movie many people will want.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only standout thing about this movie in my opinion was Vanessa Kirby's performance as Josephine.

It would have been a better movie if it were called "Josephine" and focused on her as the main character, with the battle scenes being backdrops as he reads his letters to her.

Wouldn't have taken much in the way of new filming to make that movie. And it would be a better movie, just not as much an event movie.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say top rate but they were alright.

Napoleon is a 2 1/2 hour s**tpost.

Its pretty clear that it likes Napoleon about as much as Dead Don't Die likes zombie movies, Jarhead likes the American military and The Last Jedi likes Star Wars. I suspect most people will hate Napoleon although I dont think its a bad movie. Its just not a movie many people will want.
It was OK. I think the battle scenes were OK. Generally 15 min snippets to show an important battle occurred and then move on. There was definitely more that could have been done to show off Napoleans generalship in the battle of Austerlitz than the frozen pond episode at the end. Another half hour wasn't needed but some details on his plans. Even the battle of Waterloo was simplified more than needed. The parts of his rise to power and his relationship with Josephine were interesting but his generalship was the main reason for his fame.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was OK. I think the battle scenes were OK. Generally 15 min snippets to show an important battle occurred and then move on. There was definitely more that could have been done to show off Napoleans generalship in the battle of Austerlitz than the frozen pond episode at the end. Another half hour wasn't needed but some details on his plans. Even the battle of Waterloo was simplified more than needed. The parts of his rise to power and his relationship with Josephine were interesting but his generalship was the main reason for his fame.
I suspect the director's cut will make the battle scenes better. Still, I don't really think this is Kindgom of Heaven or Gladiator. I don't think you're supposed to leave the theater impressed by the beauty of battle or anything. I think Ridley Scott was trying his hardest to say that we shouldn't glorify this period of time.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect the director's cut will make the battle scenes better. Still, I don't really think this is Kindgom of Heaven or Gladiator. I don't think you're supposed to leave the theater impressed by the beauty of battle or anything. I think Ridley Scott was trying his hardest to say that we shouldn't glorify this period of time.

Why would anyone spend however much time he spent and however much money he spent doing an epic movie about a time period he wanted to say shouldn't be glorified?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone spend however much time he spent and however much money he spent doing an epic movie about a time period he wanted to say shouldn't be glorified?
Hollywood does that all of the time :noidea:. Especially recently. Even if you compare the Irishman to Scorcese's previous works, for example, you see the change in tone. Newest Batman movie compared to the older ones. etc etc

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally would recommend Ridleys "The Duelists" for a better depiction of the Napoleonic Wars. It did that without glorifying the period either.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't yet seen Ridley's Napoleon but I just viewed DeLaurentis' 1970 Napoleon DVD starring Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Christopher Plummer as Wellington. Great acting. The scenes of the Waterloo battle are very detailed and last an hour. The credits state thousands of Soviet troops and many from Britain were used in the scenes. Wish they'd released it on Blu-ray.

It's been reported that many scenes and lines in Scott's film were ripped straight from Kubrick's script that he never got around to making. I assume Spielberg's Napoleon TV miniseries based on Kubrick's screenplay is still in the works.