• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My waaaaaay too early 26 man roster prediction

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A necessary assumption up front of course. This is taking into account that we don't make any additional transactions, such as signing more free agents, promotions (think Madrigal), or trades. It's based on who we have on hand right now. So with that having been said...........

Starting positional players, in anticipated opening day order:

Tim Anderson, SS
Yasmani Grandal, C
Jose Abreu, 1B
Yoan Moncada, 3B
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
Eloy Jimenez, LF
Luis Robert, CF
Nomar Mazara, RF
Leury Garcia, 2B

Bench:

James McCann, C/DH
Zack Collins, C/1B/DH
Danny Mendick, 3B, SS, 2B
Nick Delmonico, OF

Starting Pitchers:

Lucas Giolito
Dallas Keuchel
Reynaldo Lopez
Gio Gonzalez
Dylan Cease

Bullpen:

Alex Colome
Aaron Bummer
Kelvin Herrera
Dylan Covey
Evan Marshall
Jimmy Cordero
Jace Fry
Zack Burdi

So two names not shown that might jump out at you. One being Nick Madrigal who, unless they sign him long term, will likely start the season in AAA due to that dumb service time issue. The other, perhaps more surprising name missing is Michael Kopech. I think the Sox are going to baby him a bit in Spring Training, then start him at AAA to get some innings under his belt before coming up at some point in late April/early May.

Let's hope Hahn will still end up signing someone from the pen and maybe an experienced OF as well. I don't believe Delmonico is technically on the 40 man roster, but he's been invited to Spring Training. With his experience, I'm guessing he'll slip in at the 26th spot. And let's see if someone out of the blue kills it in ST and unexpectedly makes the roster.

Flame away boys.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, my first faux pas. I cannot believe I left Adam Engel off the bench. What a doof - kindly swap his name out with Delmonico's. Hope you enjoyed your 5 minutes on my roster, Nicky!!!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good work, LSD. A few of my personal counters.

I would flip Mendick and Leury. I don't think we start a season with Leury at 2B. Remember how bad he was when we tried him in the middle infield last season when Anderson was hurt? Plus, Mendick is young and earned a shot. Leury has a chance to platoon from the right side in RF hitting right-handed. Since Mazara struggles mightily against LHP. Then again, maybe Engel gets that nod since he's a great glove.

I don't get the Kopech thing. He pitches all spring training, but he still needs to start the season in AAA "to get innings?". Hard to see how he isn't in the rotation unless he comes out just a shell of what he was with his control regressing back to his early 2017 form.

That puts Rey in the bullpen (unless we start 6 guys in April to limit innings) and then

I don't know who leaves the rotation when Rodon is back in summer. I guess it comes down to how well Cease is progressing vs Gio. (This is assuming we sustain good health in the rotation - which obviously is far from a sure thing).

It would be such a White Sox thing for Giolito to tear his UCL. *Knock on wood 5,000 times* but just sayin...

Madrigal definitely starts the season in AAA and could make it up by late April. But I'm less sold on him than any of our other top prospects. Guy who never K's but has literally zero power could be the next Dustin Pedroia. But he could just as easily be a big, big bust. Plenty of guys with the "zero power" profile who have shat themselves in the big leagues. So, I think it's good that we have Mendick.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be such a White Sox thing for Giolito to tear his UCL. *Knock on wood 5,000 times* but just sayin...

3lf5f0.jpg

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good work, LSD. A few of my personal counters.

I would flip Mendick and Leury. I don't think we start a season with Leury at 2B. Remember how bad he was when we tried him in the middle infield last season when Anderson was hurt? Plus, Mendick is young and earned a shot. Leury has a chance to platoon from the right side in RF hitting right-handed. Since Mazara struggles mightily against LHP. Then again, maybe Engel gets that nod since he's a great glove.

I don't get the Kopech thing. He pitches all spring training, but he still needs to start the season in AAA "to get innings?". Hard to see how he isn't in the rotation unless he comes out just a shell of what he was with his control regressing back to his early 2017 form.

That puts Rey in the bullpen (unless we start 6 guys in April to limit innings) and then

I don't know who leaves the rotation when Rodon is back in summer. I guess it comes down to how well Cease is progressing vs Gio. (This is assuming we sustain good health in the rotation - which obviously is far from a sure thing).

Madrigal definitely starts the season in AAA and could make it up by late April. But I'm less sold on him than any of our other top prospects. Guy who never K's but has literally zero power could be the next Dustin Pedroia. But he could just as easily be a big, big bust. Plenty of guys with the "zero power" profile who have shat themselves in the big leagues. So, I think it's good that we have Mendick.
There were basically two reasons I have Leury starting on opening day. 1. He's a seasoned veteran who has been thru a number of opening day games, so I think Renteria will want that experience out there. 2. I'm going on the assumption that the Royals will open with a RH pitcher. If they go with a lefty, then I'm more inclined to tab Mendick to start for the opener.

With Kopech, I'm just going on a hunch that the Sox won't overwork him in ST, which would then likely have him start the season in Charlotte. I think the number of innings he throws in ST will determine whether or not he goes north when camp breaks.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revised, based on Cishek's signing:

Tim Anderson, SS
Yasmani Grandal, C
Jose Abreu, 1B
Yoan Moncada, 3B
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
Eloy Jimenez, LF
Luis Robert, CF
Nomar Mazara, RF
Leury Garcia, 2B

Bench:

James McCann, C/DH
Zack Collins, C/1B/DH
Adam Engel, OF

Starting Pitchers:

Lucas Giolito
Dallas Keuchel
Reynaldo Lopez
Gio Gonzalez
Dylan Cease

Bullpen:

Alex Colome
Aaron Bummer
Kelvin Herrera
Steve Cishek
Dylan Covey
Evan Marshall
Jimmy Cordero
Jace Fry

I've removed Zack Burdi from the BP to make room for Cishek, but by no means am I counting him out as far as making the team at the expense of someone else. The first four names in the pen are the ones I have as etched in stone, but any of the other four could be up for grabs. Of those bottom four, the one I'm most intrigued with is Cordero.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revised, based on Cishek's signing:

Tim Anderson, SS
Yasmani Grandal, C
Jose Abreu, 1B
Yoan Moncada, 3B
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
Eloy Jimenez, LF
Luis Robert, CF
Nomar Mazara, RF
Leury Garcia, 2B

Bench:

James McCann, C/DH
Zack Collins, C/1B/DH
Adam Engel, OF

Starting Pitchers:

Lucas Giolito
Dallas Keuchel
Reynaldo Lopez
Gio Gonzalez
Dylan Cease

Bullpen:

Alex Colome
Aaron Bummer
Kelvin Herrera
Steve Cishek
Dylan Covey
Evan Marshall
Jimmy Cordero
Jace Fry

I've removed Zack Burdi from the BP to make room for Cishek, but by no means am I counting him out as far as making the team at the expense of someone else. The first four names in the pen are the ones I have as etched in stone, but any of the other four could be up for grabs. Of those bottom four, the one I'm most intrigued with is Cordero.

I also think Mendick gets the 2nd base start over Garcia. I think Garcia platoons with Mazara in RF for offense and defensive purposes.

I wonder about Zach Collins - and whether he starts in Charlotte - and continues to sharpen his catching skills
on an everyday basis rather than wait for opportunities at DH and 1st base. Collins needs to be ready when McCann's contract ends after 2020. It still seems like the Sox have a trade in the making for McCann - maybe prior to the deadline where Collins catches every day until McCann ships out.

So Collins to Charlotte and Burdi back to the roster - is the way I see it for now.

I also don't think Dylan Covey makes this starting roster - or maybe that PTSD from last season for me.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think Mendick gets the 2nd base start over Garcia. I think Garcia platoons with Mazara in RF for offense and defensive purposes.

I wonder about Zach Collins - and whether he starts in Charlotte - and continues to sharpen his catching skills
on an everyday basis rather than wait for opportunities at DH and 1st base. Collins needs to be ready when McCann's contract ends after 2020. It still seems like the Sox have a trade in the making for McCann - maybe prior to the deadline where Collins catches every day until McCann ships out.

So Collins to Charlotte and Burdi back to the roster - is the way I see it for now.

I also don't think Dylan Covey makes this starting roster - or maybe that PTSD from last season for me.
I really like Mendick and in fact last year when I saw him in ST, I predicted then that at some point he would get promoted to the parent club. I really have no problem whatsoever if he gets the nod over Garcia to start the season. I only went with Leaury due to experience. It's all moot anyway because once Madrigal comes up, likely in late April/early May, he'll take over.

Interesting take on Collins and I won't disagree one bit. I too don't think he's ML ready yet, but he does provide a L/H power bat, and we may want to carry three catchers on the roster to play it safe. As for Covey, I highly doubt he'll be in the rotation, but he does have experience at starting, plus he could be our long reliever candidate when situations call for 3-4 innings of relief early in the game. But if he fails to make the roster as well, no big loss.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Mendick and in fact last year when I saw him in ST, I predicted then that at some point he would get promoted to the parent club. I really have no problem whatsoever if he gets the nod over Garcia to start the season. I only went with Leaury due to experience. It's all moot anyway because once Madrigal comes up, likely in late April/early May, he'll take over.

Interesting take on Collins and I won't disagree one bit. I too don't think he's ML ready yet, but he does provide a L/H power bat, and we may want to carry three catchers on the roster to play it safe. As for Covey, I highly doubt he'll be in the rotation, but he does have experience at starting, plus he could be our long reliever candidate when situations call for 3-4 innings of relief early in the game. But if he fails to make the roster as well, no big loss.

Danny Mendick has performed better on every level and did really well in 40 abs in Chicago last season. He has shown some a pretty good power stroke for a middle infielder. I think the Sox would have brought Yomer (my favorite Sox player in recent years) back - except they believe Madrigal and Mendick provide a better dollar value.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tim Anderson, SS
Yasmani Grandal, C
Jose Abreu, 1B
Yoan Moncada, 3B
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
Eloy Jimenez, LF
Luis Robert, CF
Nomar Mazara, RF
Leury Garcia, 2B

I think you nailed this one @Lake Shore Drive. Encarnacion may flip with Moncada for 4th and 5th.

I hope the future 1 - 2 in the batting order will eventually be Robert - Madrigal, but I don't expect the season to start off that way.

No question - Renteria will be under a lot of scrutiny for his managerial decisions - now that his decisions appear to matter in the divisional standings. I think he is up to it. I'm still not over the Terry Bevington era.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you nailed this one @Lake Shore Drive. Encarnacion may flip with Moncada for 4th and 5th.

I hope the future 1 - 2 in the batting order will eventually be Robert - Madrigal, but I don't expect the season to start off that way.

No question - Renteria will be under a lot of scrutiny for his managerial decisions - now that his decisions appear to matter in the divisional standings. I think he is up to it. I'm still not over the Terry Bevington era.
Thanks, and like you, I am only going by what I anticipate will be the opening day lineup, altho in time there will almost undoubtedly be some rearranging of the order. I don't want to put too much pressure on either of our rookies out of the gate, which is why I have Robert starting out batting 7th, and when Madrigal is finally promoted, I actually see him batting 9th, at least until he gets his seas legs under him. We all hope they will eventually deserve to bat higher in the order.

As for memories of Terry Bevington....or should I say nightmares, I will ask you and all Sox fans on this board to never bring up that horrible name again!!! :gaah:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it's no longer way too early for the updated roster predictions, being we're only a couple of weeks away from the real thang. So here's my latest:

Opening Day Starting Lineup:

Tim Anderson, SS
Yoan Moncada, 3B
Jose Abreu, 1B
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
Yasmani Grandal, C
Eloy Jimenez, LF
Nomar Mazara, RF
Luis Robert, CF
Leury Garcia, 2B

Bench:

James McCann, C/DH
Yermin Mercedes, C/DH
Adam Engel, OF
Nick Delmonico, OF/1B

Starting Pitchers:

Lucas Giolito
Dallas Keuchel
Reynaldo Lopez
Dylan Cease
Gio Gonzalez

Bullpen:

Alex Colome
Aaron Bummer
Kelvin Herrera
Steve Cishek
Evan Marshall
Jimmy Cordero
Carson Fulmer

I originally had the roster balanced at 13/13 to start the '20 campaign. I think once the warmer weather sets in and fewer days off are scheduled, the Sox will go with those numbers. But early on I'm inclined to agree with Fansided that we'll start the season early with a 14/12 split.

As far as the opening day lineup goes, the only possible tinkering I see is maybe Grandal swapping with Encarnacion.
The bench is fattened up with an extra player due to the 14/12 split, so I see both Mercedes and Delmonico making the cut.

Obviously Giolito will take the ball that day. I moved Gonzalez to 5th because I'm suspicious that he may not be 100% ready, but nothing that would put him on the injured list. With those early days off and perhaps other games called due to bad weather, it wouldn't surprise me to see us go with a 4 man rotation the first couple of weeks. As far as the pen goes, even tho I have not been a fan whatsoever of Fulmer in the past, I have to say he has pitched fairly well so far this Spring, and I now see him making the squad. I'm fine with everyone else listed except Detwiler, who I think just plain sucks. I would luuuuuuv to see Codi Heuer get the nod over him, but my guess is Renteria will want more experience, especially with a shortened pen.

Edit: Disregard the post I first put up due to my blatant omission of Cishek from the pen. Duh. Anyway, the good news is now I get to remove garbage Detwiler from the list.

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do I know? I thought I heard a broadcaster say that there had to be 13 pitchers as a minimum. I was wondering how you got Delmonico and Mercedes on the roster. So - this is a realistic lineup if you can do the splits the way you propose. Delmonico and Mercedes figure to be very good lefty and righty pinch hitters.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do I know? I thought I heard a broadcaster say that there had to be 13 pitchers as a minimum. I was wondering how you got Delmonico and Mercedes on the roster. So - this is a realistic lineup if you can do the splits the way you propose. Delmonico and Mercedes figure to be very good lefty and righty pinch hitters.
Actually Mingo, the rule is there cannot be more than 13 pitchers on the roster, something I didn't learn until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what the reasoning is behind it, maybe the union is involved, I have no idea.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Mingo, the rule is there cannot be more than 13 pitchers on the roster, something I didn't learn until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what the reasoning is behind it, maybe the union is involved, I have no idea.

LOL - that puts a better light on what I heard.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like an even stronger reason for Carson Fulmer at making the roster is because he's out of options (less than five years service time and out of minor league options - he would have to clear waivers before being sent to the minors). Apparently he and Evan Marshall are the only two members on the current 40 man roster who are in this situation. Marshall of course already seems to be a lock, so it's really down to whether the Sox want to risk having some team claim Fulmer by attempting to send him down. I mean, that may not really be all that much of a risk in doing this, but since he is pitching pretty well and he is a former #1 pick, they probably want one last shot at seeing if he belongs in the bigs.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like an even stronger reason for Carson Fulmer at making the roster is because he's out of options (less than five years service time and out of minor league options - he would have to clear waivers before being sent to the minors). Apparently he and Evan Marshall are the only two members on the current 40 man roster who are in this situation. Marshall of course already seems to be a lock, so it's really down to whether the Sox want to risk having some team claim Fulmer by attempting to send him down. I mean, that may not really be all that much of a risk in doing this, but since he is pitching pretty well and he is a former #1 pick, they probably want one last shot at seeing if he belongs in the bigs.

Agree - this is a major factor and probably the biggest factor. However, Fulmer comes with a bit of utility too - with the three hitter rule there is no point in having a one batter loogy - and Fulmer could also easily become a spot starter. Glad to see he is having a very good spring.

Personally - I believe the Sox adding the technology to the pitching academy - helps players obtain an efficiency in pitching and that is what Fulmer needs. I too - have a kind of PTSD - from watching him blow up on me.