• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts so far

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree::agree: A sound running game does wonders for a team...Ram it down thier throats....Its BEAUTIFUL!!!!! And We need RGIII to run it a couple times.....early...just to make the defense worried about it.....After all..he is healthy right??/ if not..he shouldn't be out there....Move the chains...eat up clock.....score points, and keep the D off the field and fresh!!!!

Again - I believe that he is totally healthy (don't believe Shanahan would play him otherwise). However - there is the mental aspect. You don't come off several ACL injuries & just expect that it won't be on your mind somewhat (if only for an instant). Having said that - it may now be behind him & they can take off the training wheels. As you mention - it will be nice to see this again - hopefully against the Lions.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just tweeted 3m ago:

HTTR24-7.com ‏@HTTR24_7 3m
@P_Hazard Asked about that.. No bootlegs because of the teams we were playing. They will be used this week.

As I understand it, running bootlegs is not as effective against 3-4 defenses because of coverage in the D gap. Perhaps thats why we didnt see it. Lions run a 4-3. So we shall see. I've hated the offensive game calling in the first halves of both games so far. Seemed to me, they were play calling safe vs. to win the game. Looking forward to seeing something different this Sun.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the skins play wont change until the skins players on offense step up and make plays

we lead the NFL in drops

until RG3 is ready they have to help him

we also have to stop being tentative and cut him loose

the defense simply has to tackle

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was an interesting read from hogs haven.

Here is what is really is wrong with RG3 and the rest of the*team
By diehardskins on Sep 17 2013, 3:17p 1
STAY CONNECTED
TWEET SHARE 1 COMMENT
Tony Dungy wants him benched and every NFL analyst and sports writer in the country insists that he is not healthy. What's the real issue, lets look a little deeper.

As we all have heard this week from various sources, Adrian Peterson didn't start transforming into his super-human self until week 6 or 8 last season. Tom Brady a few years ago was sluggish for the first 6 games or so in his comeback year. I think Rodney Harrison hit the nail on the head to one of Griffin's issues on his Sunday Night Football breakdown. Rodney said he himself had an ACL tear and the year he came back he was scared to death. Now, I'm not suggesting that RG3 is scared to death but it sounds like his knee feels and reacts different than last year and he is still learning how to play on it. However, he probably is scared to death with the d-line and his o-line guy go falling towards his knees, his 3rd ACL tear will most likely be a career-ender and he knows that. My gut feeling is Dr. Andrew's "concerns" Shannahan was talking about were the fact that Griffin needs to run out of bounds more often and if he does tear it again his career is over.

In short, I think a lot of Griffins issues are in his head but not all of them. He knows he isn't invincible anymore but now he just has to feel comfortable and confident playing on his knee, a la Adrian Peterson and Tom Brady. He spent the entire off-season rehabbing and if you watched the ESPN special like i did, you had to be blown away at his determination and will. In the special he proves that physically he is in great shape by exceeding any expectation they put on him. So we can only assume there is nothing physically wrong with him. I think he wants to be a more traditional type passer now (RG2 has said this and there has been some reports RG3 feels the same way) and there is nothing wrong with that. I think RG3 and his dad both realize he will be in the league a lot longer if he can play as a more traditional type quarterback and there is no reason why he shouldn't. So this aligns with the idea that It seems that the offense is shifting away from the read option stuff but in my opinion hasn't quite settled into the traditional bootleg type offense Shannahan is known for, they are stuck in the middle.

I just saw something NFL.com that said Pierre Garcon said RG3 is not as fast as he was last year. His reasoning is his knee brace, i think that is a very accurate statement. Last year when RG3 put on the brace everyone noticed a slower RG3 but i think most of us were assuming it was because his knee was hurt. There is no doubt in my mind that playing in that brace has to be awkward, it most likely limits his mobility and is uncomfortable but i don't see him not wearing it for the rest of the season.

Finally, its not all on him. The Redskins are struggling in all 3 aspects of the game. Part of the offensive issues are the running game hasn't gotten off the ground early in the game like last year. Griffin has been inaccurate at times but almost all of the receivers have dropped balls that hit them in their hands. Jon Gruden was blaming RG3's mechanics, i believe the awkward brace is playing apart in his mechanics but i also think he is shorting his stride at times to avoid the bodies that are flying at him because the offensive line isn't doing their job (except for Trent Williams).

I think the defense is struggling because for a few reasons, first they are on the field too long because the offense cant get anything going. Second, Amerson and Rambo have been abused early and often by both the Eagles and Packers. Every team knows the secondary is the Redskins weakness and they have inexperience in the backfield and they are paying for it. Lastly, they need to tackle! I have never seen that many miss-tackles in my life! I don't know what you do about that, they are Pro's they should know how to tackle.

As for special teams, Sav Rocca has had some really bad punts, really bad. I don't know what his issue is but he seems to be kicking us while we are down (no pun intended). Kai missing that field goal in the Eagles game was like adding insult to injury, he was so automatic last year. Now with him injured the John Potter's attempt in Green Bay was just laughable.

Then there is the personal fouls, i wont go there. We all know the Redskins have had an issue with personal fouls, they cost games (*cough*cough* Josh Morgan the rams game last year) and they need to be eliminated.

So what is the solution? I think RG3 needs some time to really get accustom to the speed of the game again and whatever version of the offense they want to run now and figure out a way to not let that brace slow him down too much. The offense needs to get into a rhythm at the beginning of the game and once that happens I believe the defense will start to look and play better. I don't think its time to hit the panic button on this season yet, if they come out of the bye and things have not improved then maybe it will be time for Shannahan to pull out the "its time to evaluate players for next year" from his back pocket.

HTTR!

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read Cali. I stated the position from Rodney Harrison in several other posts.

One thing that I am getting sick of hearing about is that the defense is doing poorly since they are on the field too long. BS. First of all a big part of that is their fault. How about holding teams to some 3 & outs or at least not giving up 70+ yd drives? It is not as if they keep stopping teams & the offense falls short & eventually they run out of gas. They are playing poorly from the opening snap! That is not the offense's fault.

Yes - the defense will benefit from a more efficient offense that displays ball control starting in the 1st QTR. Also - yes - the defense does have shortcomings & does consist of several very young players. However - that should not result in them getting a free pass in terms of poor tackling, horrible coverage & what at times appears to be a lack of effort. They will still give up yds & pts. but how about not giving up record setting #s to every team? How about just a bit of accountability for the defense?

Time for all three phases of this team to step up on Sunday to at least show some improvement & better effort. Cmon Skins.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read Cali. I stated the position from Rodney Harrison in several other posts.

One thing that I am getting sick of hearing about is that the defense is doing poorly since they are on the field too long. BS. First of all a big part of that is their fault. How about holding teams to some 3 & outs or at least not giving up 70+ yd drives? It is not as if they keep stopping teams & the offense falls short & eventually they run out of gas. They are playing poorly from the opening snap! That is not the offense's fault.

Yes - the defense will benefit from a more efficient offense that displays ball control starting in the 1st QTR. Also - yes - the defense does have shortcomings & does consist of several very young players. However - that should not result in them getting a free pass in terms of poor tackling, horrible coverage & what at times appears to be a lack of effort. They will still give up yds & pts. but how about not giving up record setting #s to every team? How about just a bit of accountability for the defense?

Time for all three phases of this team to step up on Sunday to at least show some improvement & better effort. Cmon Skins.

:agree: I totally agree the Defense shouldn't be getting a free pass.....Missed tackles like in the greenbay (3) on 1 play before a Dlineman helped with the tackle...27 yards after initial contact is beyond PATHETIC....It is downright Embarrasing!!!! That has NOTHING to do with the offense...It has to do with hitting people and NOT wrapping up....Hitting them expecting the hit itself will do the trick....That is not on playcall...that is NOT on the coachs, that is ON the PLayers, and a Lack of COMMITMENT to the FUNDAMENTALS of Defensive Footbal...ANd THAT IS INEXCUSABLE!!!!!

The team should start a pot...$100.00 for every missed tackle with the $$ going to charity....hell make it 1K and I bet that would make a difference!!!!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At a $1000 per missed tackle, Rambo couldn't afford to play football. He'd be broke.