• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts on the game

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Figured I'd start one of these threads.

First, the big picture. Big win against a good team that needed to win. Something has been off with the Texans this year, they're not the same team they were last year, but this was a game we needed to win, and we not only did so, but did so in convincing style. Great to see. With the Hawks' loss, we're right back in the division race.

The D had a second very strong game. We got a bit lucky at times that Schaub was off, but our DBs had a strong game. Obviously Brock made some big plays, but Brown also tightened up again after a somewhat shaky start. The pass rush wasn't really there, but we managed to get it done anyway.

The offense is still a pretty big concern. We've got the running game clicking, but Kap is really struggling. Now, the numbers today look worse than his play. Two batted balls is largely bad luck/a Texans thing, and there were a couple - if not drops, then failures to bring in catchable balls, Baldwin landing out of bounds, etc. If Manningham and Crabtree come back, we could be in great shape at the WR position at the end of the year, but right now it's still a major problem. Even looking at games against Arizona and Tennessee, you've got to worry given the state of our passing offense. Those should be gimmes, but I'm not sure that they are.

Anyway, great overall job this week, now let's keep it up and go into the bye at 6-2.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mindi Bach:

Vernon Davis told me after the game -and after his 64 yd TD reception - that his hamstring is at 75%. #49ers

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I'd start one of these threads.

First, the big picture. Big win against a good team that needed to win. Something has been off with the Texans this year, they're not the same team they were last year, but this was a game we needed to win, and we not only did so, but did so in convincing style. Great to see. With the Hawks' loss, we're right back in the division race.

The D had a second very strong game. We got a bit lucky at times that Schaub was off, but our DBs had a strong game. Obviously Brock made some big plays, but Brown also tightened up again after a somewhat shaky start. The pass rush wasn't really there, but we managed to get it done anyway.

The offense is still a pretty big concern. We've got the running game clicking, but Kap is really struggling. Now, the numbers today look worse than his play. Two batted balls is largely bad luck/a Texans thing, and there were a couple - if not drops, then failures to bring in catchable balls, Baldwin landing out of bounds, etc. If Manningham and Crabtree come back, we could be in great shape at the WR position at the end of the year, but right now it's still a major problem. Even looking at games against Arizona and Tennessee, you've got to worry given the state of our passing offense. Those should be gimmes, but I'm not sure that they are.

Anyway, great overall job this week, now let's keep it up and go into the bye at 6-2.

Looking forward Peterson should be glad Crabtree is out. On Texans game like you said 6-15 two or three knockdowns one with Davis running wide open. I'm not to worried about our passing game yet. Would like to see more Baldwin opportunities before Manningham and Crabtree come back.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mindi Bach:

Vernon Davis told me after the game -and after his 64 yd TD reception - that his hamstring is at 75%. #49ers

I hate when players put a% on health. Also hate reporters asking them.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm being realistic so here goes. Kaep is a huge concern for me. He is much more of a threat as a runner than as a drop back passer. If they don't even attempt to run some pistol/read option plays he seems out of sorts. He locks onto his #1 receiver and then seems to break down if that's not open. I'm happy with the win but Kaep has been unimpressive thus far. I am hoping is because he is still very green and will eventually go through his progressions. It's not like he has a lot of options right now. He trusts Boldin and is beginning to develop a repoire with Davis. We still need to pound the ball and let THAT be the focal point of the offense.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly I think Harbaugh has lost some confidence in him because I think he only threw 18 times. I throw that more in Madden and its a 20 min game.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the big picture. Coming out 3-2 after playing 4 playoff teams last year, all of which could still be playoff teams this year, and the Rams who just had the 49ers number last year is acceptable. Not a bad start to the season.

Defensively: The secondary played great today, I'm even more impressed by their performance because the pass rush is almost non-existent without Aldon, RayMac, and Patrick. Bowman was stuck in coverage all day, so no repeat of the Rams game.

Offensively: Running game was good enough to make plays when it mattered even though Watt was causing a lot of trouble. The passing game continues to have a lot of the same struggles. At least this week it is easy to say Watt messed up their plans. Kap missed some throws like badly overthrowing Baldwin early and then throwing too far outside to him later, I think VD could have tried a little harder on the two long passes to him. Kap seems to be a rhythm passer, so maybe the 49ers need to start giving him the Alex Smith medicine of a lot of high-percentage passes often and early and then after he settles down they can start taking the shots down the field. Isn't that what they did last year? This year they seem to come out swinging for the fence in the passing game.

Is it just me or has there been a shift in how the secondary plays this year? Against the Rams and Texans they have been very tight and physical and playing the way the Seahawks and Colts played the 49ers. I didn't think the 49ers were playing so tight in the secondary against GB, Seattle, and the Colts. Its as if after two games of getting mauled by the Seahawks and Colts secondary that they just said fuck it, if we can't beat 'em... join 'em.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All kinds of weird stats tonight considering the score.....like that the Niners had 34 points and only 52 offensive plays.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN Stats and Info:

The 49ers called a designed run on a season-high 67.3% of their plays Sunday. They gained 118 of their 177 rushing yards before contact, the second straight week they have had more than 100 rushing yards before contact. Entering Week 4, they were 14th in the NFL with 211 yards before contact.

Matt Schaub struggled on passes traveling 10 or fewer yards downfield, averaging 4.0 yards per attempt and throwing a career-high 3 interceptions on such throws. Coming into the game, the 49ers had held opponents to a league-low 58.2% completion rate on short passes, but only had one interception on such throws.

From Elias: Matt Schaub is the first quarterback in NFL history to throw a pick-6 in four straight games.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly I think Harbaugh has lost some confidence in him because I think he only threw 18 times. I throw that more in Madden and its a 20 min game.

I don't Harbaugh lost confidence in Kaepernick. I think Harbaugh lost confidence in the chemistry between Kaepernick and our WRs. Big difference.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...a lot of high-percentage passes often and early and then after he settles down they can start taking the shots down the field. Isn't that what they did last year? This year they seem to come out swinging for the fence in the passing game.

I feel that was partially why we went down against the Falcons and Ravens. If we had started with easier plays, we might not have gone down by so much. That's one reason why I thought that we could have gotten there with Smith, game plan and rhythm. Maybe never down 17.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't Harbaugh lost confidence in Kaepernick. I think Harbaugh lost confidence in the chemistry between Kaepernick and our WRs. Big difference.

True I mean Boldin and Davis are pretty much his only options. It would be different if Crabtree and Manningham were out there.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True I mean Boldin and Davis are pretty much his only options. It would be different if Crabtree and Manningham were out there.

Exactly. Even as good as Boldin is, he's not a #1 option. He's solid, reliable, but he's not a guy at this point that's going to consistently get open. Vernon Davis is still hobbled. We have a bunch of no namers and role players after that. For a young QB, chemistry and WR trust is everything.

He's not Tom Brady where he can just throw it to anyone out there.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Even as good as Boldin is, he's not a #1 option. He's solid, reliable, but he's not a guy at this point that's going to consistently get open. Vernon Davis is still hobbled. We have a bunch of no namers and role players after that. For a young QB, chemistry and WR trust is everything.

He's not Tom Brady where he can just throw it to anyone out there.

Its still hurting my fantasy team. Im gonna have to bench him for Cutler.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What a great day for football! Niners crush the Texans, Seattle loses... What more could you want?

:D

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that was partially why we went down against the Falcons and Ravens. If we had started with easier plays, we might not have gone down by so much. That's one reason why I thought that we could have gotten there with Smith, game plan and rhythm. Maybe never down 17.

I can't really blame the temptation to try and be more of a homerun hitting team than a systematic dinky dunk team with Kap. It worked so well with the Patriots last year and the Packers this year. It is a passing league and its tough to know you have a QB who can do that and then settle for a more conservative ground and pound with dinky passes offense.

That Smith led team knew it's identity. Smith, Gore, Crabs, and VD spent a few years together. This year's 49ers is still trying to find their identity. There also isn't a lot of familiarity in the passing offense. Of all the WRs right now, only Kyle was with the team last year and he only spent 3 weeks with Kap before he got hurt and found himself on the IR until pre-season. It is a real thing, even the Patriots and Brady are having issues with their passing game because he is working with a whole new group of WRs and the veteran he does have a good connection with is injured. Again, similar to the 49ers with VD being hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two batted balls is largely bad luck/a Texans thing,

Texans do do a good job of batting balls but I dont think its a bad luck thing.

We are seeing a lot more batted balls this season and it's all related to Kap's progressions. He continues to stare down receivers and is telegraphing when he is going to throw it(ex. patting the ball w/his other hand)

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I dont like this argument that he doesn't have any weapons or options at all.

He has Boldin, Vernon, a high draft pick 2nd TE, some good pass catching RB's, and then some very mediocre receivers. This should be plenty to be an efficient and good passer. He should not be struggling as near as much as he is.

There are plenty of teams that dont have a ton of weapons for their QB's and they still perform. Chargers, Raiders, Panthers, Patriots(Not a good comparison because Brady is one of the best), Seattle, Baltimore(although Flacco is playing like shit), Tennesse,

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans do do a good job of batting balls but I dont think its a bad luck thing.

We are seeing a lot more batted balls this season and it's all related to Kap's progressions. He continues to stare down receivers and is telegraphing when he is going to throw it(ex. patting the ball w/his other hand)

I seem to remember Steve Young doing that a lot. 2 pats and the ball comes out.