• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My take on the Rams' draft. (Better late than never. Lol)

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was an asessment I did of the draft earlier this week, on another site, before I knew where all the CBS refugees had gone. So, I figured I'd share it here, as well.

-Tavon Austin (WR/WVU) at #8 while retaining 2 first found picks was a no-brainer. The Rams got a faster and, by far, more dynamic replacement for Danny Amendola. He's a do-it-all type of player.

-Alec Ogletree (LB/Georgia) is a top 10 talent... the Rams got him at #30. Ogletree has the range to snuff out read-option plays and the speed to cover any TE in the league. Provided Jo Lonn Dunbar continues his stellar play from lat season and Ogletree pans out, the LB corps is set for a long time.

-TJ Macdonald, (S/USC) I'm a little hot and cold on, but definitely fills a need. He's a thumper with decent range, but a little wild on the stick. I don't really like the way he tackles all the time, but he gets to the ball very promptly. If anybody can coach him up, it's Jeff Fisher. And if he likes him, then so do I.

-Stedman Bailey (WR/WVU) may have seemed like a bit of a reach to some, but the Rams weren't going to go into 2013 with only 3 viable WRs on the roster. He reminds me A LOT of Chris Givens, though. Which can only bode well for the competition in camp, this year. My guess is, Austin Pettis is going to have to fight a little harder for his spot on the depth chart. Bailey is a serious competetior.

-Barrett Jones (C/Alabama) might be THE definition of "value pick", as far as the Rams go, this season. Kudos to Fisher and Snead on this one!:clap: Reportedly, one of Nick Saban's favorite players, Jones is an EXTREMELY versatile offensive lineman, proficient in 3 different positions on the offensive line. He's a younger Harvey Dahl/Scott Wells combined... and the Rams got him at #113 overall???

-Brandon McGee (CB/Miami) I know very little about. But, depth behind what is already a great set of CBs is always welcome. And corners often thrive under Jeff Fisher's tutelage.

-Zac Stacey (RB/Vanderbilt) I know even less about, but the guy looks like an absolute bowling ball, in the mold of Maurice Jones Drew. Fisher got the "big back" he eluded to, earlier this offseason. Supposedly, he's very shifty for a bigger guy and an excellent pass protector.

All-in-all, I think the Rams did a GREAT job this year. Picks #1, #2, and #3 (and possibly #5) will be starters. Pick #4 should be a solid contributor. Even pick #7 could surprise. Would I have liked to have seen another safety picked? Sure. But, i think Fisher only saw round one talent in one guy (Kenny Vaccaro) yet still found ways to better this team without him. Only time will tell... but, at first glance, this draft looks like a very good one. GO RAMS!!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Caynine, once again really glad your here.

Nice analysis on the draft you're in the ball park on the grade by most...

How about adding a little skinny on these two UDFA's

Cody Davis, Safety, Texas Tech

Ray Armstrong, Safety, Miami

Interested in your take...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Vita and Caynine. I like the two Safety undrafted FAs. Both are very good and should make the club's final roster. I am sooooo glad C. Dahl has disappeared. I don't think I could have watched another game with that knucklehead in a Rams uniform.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray-Ray Armstrong was phenomenal... 2 years ago. He ran into some trouble with the NCAA and hasn't played since 2011. When he did, he was great! Looks like the classic problem child Jeff Fisher is so fond of. High risk, for sure... but extremely high reward. He's a year removed from football, so it remains to be seen if he's still got it, but if this guy can play like he did back then, then we're absolutely set for a safety. Fingers crossed on this move. It could be HUGE!

Cody Davis... I don't know much about. But, from what little research I did... he doesn't seem like anything more than a young Craig Dahl. ...Okay... well, maybe not THAT bad. Lol.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say Caynine. Everything I've seen on Davis both in print and on video has been stellar and he is nowhere clueless as C. Dahl. Armstrong has the same similar bent as Janoris Jenkinsin talent and behavior. Tremendous upside if the downside can be channeled and properly disciplined. Fisher is good at it so far and this Armstrong is going to yield similar effects as Jenkins with the potential for a slight hiccup perhaps. How he responds to Fisher and the coaching staff will be the key and right now with our exceptional staff, except for maybe Shottenheimer, I think Armstrong will pay huge dividends once he sees what Jenkins and even Givens have accomplished under their tuteledge.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, like I said... I know very little about Davis. So, I'll defer to you on that one, Retro.

Armstrong's problems were much different from those of Janoris Jenkins, though. Ray-Ray was dismissed due to allegedly receiving improper benefits as an amateur. He could come in with a bit of an attitude problem. Maybe even a slight aversion to authority. But, so far, I haven't heard of any issues with the law, or drugs, or anything of the like. I don't forsee any legal issues with him. The risk in signing Armstrong, is that it's a very good possibility he simply doesn't have it anymore.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While there might have been better players in certain Rounds available, what I did like about the Rams' draft was that the players selected helped to fill true needs.

Overall, a good Draft for the Rams.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Caynine29, that is a distinct possibility for Armstrong. I have to think that Fisher does well in harnessing individuals like this with a "chip on their shoulders" to become very good players and even all-pro's. I see the distinctions between Jenkins and Armstrong but I have this gut feeling that Fisher can't revive this kid's talent pretty quickly so that he can at least spend a year on STs much like Ganaway did last year. We will now see what Ganaway was being prepped for because he is going to assume the majority of the carries load in the running game or he'll be out the door especially with all of the new RB talent that is comin in.

Silas, I didn't have too many good thoughts about the draft initially but after further review and research, I am slowly warming up to it. I guess the final piece of evidence will be if it translates into high power ratings, smashmouth football, and of course wins that get us back to the bowl and hoisting the Lombardi one or several more times.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Ray??

He ran a 4.7 at Miami's pro day. That's not good for a safety unless he's a very smart dude.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that Sportsjunkie. May be he plays at a quick speed. If not, that may hurt him during the final cutdown coming in August.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Ray??

He ran a 4.7 at Miami's pro day. That's not good for a safety unless he's a very smart dude.

That's after a year plus off right? I not saying he didn't get himself back into shape because I'd love to run a 4.7 but let's face it nothing like real world competition day in and day out to push you further.

I would imagine that he can improve on this time and will in due time.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh don't get me wrong, I love THE U. The guy had some talent, but I don't know what kind of shape he's in.

I would love to see 1 of these undrafted FA's be a stud trust me, especially from...

Howard Cosell voice: "THE U"

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Davis appears to have the early lead on Ray Ray but we will see what transpires between now and training camp with Ray Ray. OTA's start this coming week and we'll get a preliminary look at everyone including Sammie to see if expectations get fulfilled or not.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One note - Ray Ray is going to be moved to OLB. He's 6'4, 230, and by all accounts has a frame where he could pack on some more muscle without too much impact to his speed and athleticism. Snead is indicating they project him at WLB. Unless he's a head case (and that's certainly possible), my bet is that he gets stashed on the practice squad this year and in 2-3 years is making an impact. Good pick up with a lot of upside.

I am very impressed by Snead to this point.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update demiurge. If the kid is better suited for that position why not.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say the same thing about Ray-Ray. Him at WOLB backing up Dunbar would be nice, also a big body on ST. Also watch out for Jonathon Stewart, OLB from TAMU. Snead is said to be VERY high on this kid. I also like both WR we signed as good depth guys..a WR corps of Austin,Givens,Bailey,Quick,Pettis,Blake and Atkins is something I will lovingly call "the Greatest Show with SMURFS". I think picking up Bailey will benefit both Austin and Bailey as they know each others moves very well. As much as I love the Austin pick, I think in 10 years we will look back at Alec Ogletree and Barrett Jones as the cornerstones of this draft. Jones will be the anchor on the line by opening night 2014, if not sooner. Ogletree and JL55 together for the next 10 years will give guys like Lynch,Gore and Ryan Williams nightmares.
I am EXTREMELY impressed with Les Snead after 2 years of free agency and drafts. Think about this. He has added Dunbar,Wells,Long,Cook and Finnegan in free agency (all pro bowl caliber talents) and drafted Givens,DR26,Legatron,Austin,Ogletree and Jones, not to mention the other solid talent. I think that unless he REALLY improves this season, the only real whif that Snead has made was Quick, but we shall see.

4 months boys...4 months!!

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we have 2 1sts next year as well

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea, I'm lovin it as well. I was not entirely enthused on draft day, but again, I'm beginning to warm-up to what Snead and Fisher did and as you stated KSU, things a REALLY starting to look pretty damn good.