• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My review of the game

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crazy game, we got really lucky to just have a tie. Heres some thoughts on it:

~Our run defense is a real concern. We are nothing close to what we were last year. Something is up with our D-line. They are not holding their position like last year and are not generating a pass rush like last year.

~McDonald and Justin Smith's lack of sacks is another factor which is hurting this defense. A huge reason why our defense was so good last year, is that we never really had to rush extras to get pressure. Smith and Mcdonald last year had 13 sacks between them. So far this year we have 1/2 a sack between them.

~Kapernick played pretty good given the circumstances. It seemed like the Rams could not adjust to him running the football. Kap though, seemed to leave some yards on the field by really trying to pass the ball when there were huge lanes to run. He still had 64 yards running but more was definitely there.

~Brooks appeared to me to be the best defensive player on the 9ers side in todays game.

~Its unfortunate that once Alex Smith got hurt, Crabtree sort of disappeared. We need to get Crabtree the ball. He is playing great lately. He is getting a ton a YAC and good things are happening with him getting the ball. Additionally, the passes we do get to crabtree are relatively safe since they are shorter passes and let him make something out of it.

~a big strength of our defense, P willis and Bowman, were pretty much owned today. Missed tackles and just not stopping the runner at the point of contact.

~Vernon Davis being quiet lately is a little concern. He's the big play maker of our offense and I know defenses are keying on him, but it just seems like he is getting shut down to easy. A big possibility of this though could be our QB situation and their lack of wanting to take risks and let him make a play.

~We really need Alex back for next weeks game against Chicago. Kaepernick, while expected, just seems way too sloppy with the ball. Chicago will have a field day with this.

~While we didnt take full advantage of Atlanta and the New York losing, atleast we still got a tie considering how shitty we played. We gained a little ground on them and it could be big part in the playoff picture. Unfortunately, Seattle gained some ground on us today though.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good overview.

My review if the game: OUTCOACHED

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I for one am excited about how well Kaep played. Most rookies in that situation would not have lead their team back the way he did. Most would have thrown and couple INTs and it would be over.

And what about Frank Gore? He has looked tremendous this year, as good as he ever has to my eyes.

We need another pass rusher. Aldon is getting his only because J smith sets him up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought it was incredibly stupid to run 3 times in a row when the Niners were on about the 30 yard line & only needed a FG. It's not like you can't throw a high percentage pass or maybe a screen or something. There's no reason to do exactly what the defense expects & wants you to do 3 plays in a row. A pass on 1st down would've worked brilliantly.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am excited about how well Kaep played. Most rookies in that situation would not have lead their team back the way he did. Most would have thrown and couple INTs and it would be over.

And what about Frank Gore? He has looked tremendous this year, as good as he ever has to my eyes.

We need another pass rusher. Aldon is getting his only because J smith sets him up.

1, Kaep isn't a rookie, its his 2nd year but it was his 1st game with major action
2, Aldon isn't only getting sacks because of Justin.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rice&Young,

Great summary!!

Our inability to stop the run is one of our major issues. Not so much the sacks situation between our ends (though it is somewhat of a concern). We need to get a massive NT in the upcoming draft class. Besides T. Brown our corners are way overrated.

I like what I saw from Kaep. He lacks confidence and he's unable to scan the field fast enough. You can tell that the game is moving fast for his comfort, though he has made major progress in that area since last year. I hate to say this but this injury to Alex may be a blessing in disguise. I hope Alex is okay and I agree that immediately he gives us a better option to compete on Sundays, but at the same time anyone watching the game can see that if he is given more opportunity, he will only get better with each game. He needs to get live game experience.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1, Kaep isn't a rookie, its his 2nd year but it was his 1st game with major action
2, Aldon isn't only getting sacks because of Justin.

Right about Kaep.

Aldon has gotten a lot of his sacks that way. Its true. He is good but he would have half at most if Justin was holding 2 guys and letting Aldon get scott free. Heck, even if I am completely wrong, we still need more of a pass rush. We got good pressure today but not enough sacks.

What's wrong with the D????

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I thought it was incredibly stupid to run 3 times in a row when the Niners were on about the 30 yard line & only needed a FG. It's not like you can't throw a high percentage pass or maybe a screen or something. There's no reason to do exactly what the defense expects & wants you to do 3 plays in a row. A pass on 1st down would've worked brilliantly.

I'll give them a pass since I can understand not wanting to put the ball in the hands of your young QB who was clearly a little antsy in the pocket. If he gets sacked, fumbles, or throws an INT we're complaining about why Harbaugh just didn't run the ball.

The fact of the matter is you just have to trust your kicker to make that kick. 41 yards while not automatic should be a kick expected to be made.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Our inability to stop the run is one of our major issues. Not so much the sacks situation between our ends (though it is somewhat of a concern). We need to get a massive NT in the upcoming draft class. Besides T. Brown our corners are way overrated.

I like what I saw from Kaep. He lacks confidence and he's unable to scan the field fast enough. You can tell that the game is moving fast for his comfort, though he has made major progress in that area since last year. I hate to say this but this injury to Alex may be a blessing in disguise. I hope Alex is okay and I agree that immediately he gives us a better option to compete on Sundays, but at the same time anyone watching the game can see that if he is given more opportunity, he will only get better with each game. He needs to get live game experience.

I agree w/ most of this, but I'm not too worried about the run-stop. Jackson's a beast, and the real problem was turnovers IMO.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice&Young,

Great summary!!

+1
You only get better with more playing time.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THIS!!!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice&Young,

Great summary!!

we need to limit his reads and make things easy for him. what really concerns me is how he holds the ball on runs.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The play calling was very suspect a few times. I remember at least two 3rd and 2's when we ran the ball and failed to get the first down.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play calling and coaching. How the hell can you let up a fake punt let alone the 2nd one.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yup, good to bring Gore up. He's played very, very well and deserves some props. Definitely the engine of our offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
e.

Yeah a NT should be a high priority for us in the draft. I think Sopoago's contract is up after this year and hes getting a little up there in age. Getting a good young NT would be a good piece to add and continue our strong defense.

As for our corners, i know you dont like Culliver but I think he is pretty solid. Not a #1 corner or anything but pretty good, young player that should get better.

As for Carlos Rogers, he's the one I think is way overrated. He gets absolutely abused by some players and is making too much for that to be happening. He's the player I'd look to replace.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts off the top of my head

1. Kaep held the ball too long, yet did have decent enough awareness in the pocket to move around when the speed rushers were coming off the edges. Unfortunately that doesn't change the fact he sat in the pocket too long and was too focused one read to the point he ignored wide open receivers.

2. Watching Alson stunting around Justin Smith has been poetry in motion. Justin Smith may have lost a bit of that freakish strength that allowed him to push linemen back into the QB, but showed his veteran skills by timing the snap count and being the first person off the ball most of the game. If Justin was built a speed rusher he would probably have ungodly sack numbers.

3. SF getting burnt on 2 4th down punt fakes for 1st down was like living a nightmare. Even though he muffed the 1st punt, the punter no one has ever heard of has probably secured himself a bit of a career.
Even though it killed me as a Niner fan, I kind of smirked a bit at the fake punts because I laugh when non-regular NFL players pull off highlight worthy plays (Moran Norris catching a screen and taking it 40+ for a TD; both of SF's fakes last year; etc)

4) Carlos Rogers is beginning to bother me since getting paid & Culliver needs to work on fundamentals if he wants to play press coverage in the NFL.

5) I've never seen Steven Jackson run all over Willis like that & it was unsettling.

6) Akers need to go back to the drawing board. Maybe stop worrying on length and worth on accuracy? I have no idea how a kicker refines their craft outside of kicking over & over, but he needs to work on the closer kicks, ie less than 60 yarders, in the 'Stick.

I called that Akers was gonna miss that kick to win the game while watching with my friends.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE were luckyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

what was the flag on the big pass play in OT? i had to leave and i was very confused going by the game tracker as to what the fuck was happening.... one second stl is on our 2 yard line next they on the stl 15....

We got lucky.... i mean.... fucking assholes.... defense was bad when it came to clutch situations and what's Akers freaking deal! He had the damn win for us there and.... AHHHHHHH