• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Prayers might be answered. Herb Sendek-ASU

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sting, where about is this place in Phoenix? I will be in the area the last weekend of April and I'd love to see it if it's close to the airport. Any idea?
Be careful you might have to get baptized to enter the facility.
Seriously, it is a great campus, court and team. They are my second fav team in Arizona. live 30 minutes from campus. Expensive Univ$$$$$$

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a guy from DUKE is huge gentlemen. Regardless,.....Duke is a household name and recruits will agree to listen and know that SunDevil Nation, our new facilities and more new facilities, Adidas contract and great town for mommy and daddy to visit is the ideal situation. Don't forget the Curtain!

Oh, you're an Adidas school?

You're boned.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GCU lost to NAU 1st rd in CIT. GCU also lost to Kentucky first game of the year 85-45 so their schedule is crazy.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Thunder Dan come to ASU when you guys are saying that GCU is better than ASU? I personally think Dan is a shitty coach, great player, great basketball mind but he cannot coach. I have watched most of GCU games.

No one is saying that CGU is currently better than ASU. What is being put forth is that GCU came out of nowhere, got Dan, and is now putting almost as many people in seats as ASU, even though "no one in the entire PHX metro area will ever really support a college basketball team". That's because Dan is obviously a hometown hero, and his style brings fans. If he had the ASU name behind him instead of a team that just got to D1, he could do some real work. If ASU missteps with their hire, in a few years I could definitely see more people turning out for GCU games than ASU, except when they play AZ.

If they got Dan, it would take GCU out of competition for fans. He'd actually bring some over from GCU. GCU would have to start over. Dan could do better to keep local talent, and draw players to the valley based on his name, location, excitement, rising attendance, and conference. Hell, maybe he'd also be a better coach with better players than the weakest of D1.

Bottom line is that if we are even talking about GCU comparing to ASU in attendance, then ASU is in a fucking horrible way, and they need to do something to turn it around.

Personally, I think they just need like a Lorenzo Romar type of coach. Someone that can bring it back from the depths, and get it to a place where they are more often than not in the top half of the conference, make runs at the top, break into the top 25 with some sort of regularity, and take them to the dance with equal regularity.

Now, I think Romar has come close to wearing out his welcome in Seattle, but he certainly brought them out of the pit they were in (where ASU currently is). In a decade, ASU could be a really enticing place with a program on the rise that is willing and able to take another step up the coaching ladder. I was hoping that Sendek could be that guy, but with his style, he couldn't keep get players on the recruit trail, and couldn't get asses in the seats.

But there is no way that ASU is going to

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is saying that CGU is currently better than ASU. What is being put forth is that GCU came out of nowhere, got Dan, and is now putting almost as many people in seats as ASU, even though "no one in the entire PHX metro area will ever really support a college basketball team". That's because Dan is obviously a hometown hero, and his style brings fans. If he had the ASU name behind him instead of a team that just got to D1, he could do some real work. If ASU missteps with their hire, in a few years I could definitely see more people turning out for GCU games than ASU, except when they play AZ.

If they got Dan, it would take GCU out of competition for fans. He'd actually bring some over from GCU. GCU would have to start over. Dan could do better to keep local talent, and draw players to the valley based on his name, location, excitement, rising attendance, and conference. Hell, maybe he'd also be a better coach with better players than the weakest of D1.

Bottom line is that if we are even talking about GCU comparing to ASU in attendance, then ASU is in a fucking horrible way, and they need to do something to turn it around.

Personally, I think they just need like a Lorenzo Romar type of coach. Someone that can bring it back from the depths, and get it to a place where they are more often than not in the top half of the conference, make runs at the top, break into the top 25 with some sort of regularity, and take them to the dance with equal regularity.

Now, I think Romar has come close to wearing out his welcome in Seattle, but he certainly brought them out of the pit they were in (where ASU currently is). In a decade, ASU could be a really enticing place with a program on the rise that is willing and able to take another step up the coaching ladder. I was hoping that Sendek could be that guy, but with his style, he couldn't keep get players on the recruit trail, and couldn't get asses in the seats.

But there is no way that ASU is going to
I see your point. NO way in fucking Hell will GCU ever be better than ASU. Not buying that shit.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. NO way in fucking Hell will GCU ever be better than ASU. Not buying that shit.

Listen closely, fork. We're not saying that GCU will physically be better than ASU, per se. I think the point is that in a few years, if ASu doesn't get their heads out of their asses, then GCU will be the more popular team for fans in the valley. At that point, it just kills ASU basketball when one of the weakest D1s draws a better base than ASU. ASU needs to get out in front of that with this hire.

My argument about Dan is that he would accomplish that. He would bring fans over and kill GCU basketball, and ASU would benefit from his style, following, and they may even get better players and be a better team by it.

But again, just us talking about the potential for a team at the very bottom of D1 to even be a threat of being as popular as ASU means that ASU is in a heap of shit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the AD realizes that he made a mistake and re-hires Herbie with a 5 year extension! :lol:

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen closely, fork. We're not saying that GCU will physically be better than ASU, per se. I think the point is that in a few years, if ASu doesn't get their heads out of their asses, then GCU will be the more popular team for fans in the valley. At that point, it just kills ASU basketball when one of the weakest D1s draws a better base than ASU. ASU needs to get out in front of that with this hire.

My argument about Dan is that he would accomplish that. He would bring fans over and kill GCU basketball, and ASU would benefit from his style, following, and they may even get better players and be a better team by it.

But again, just us talking about the potential for a team at the very bottom of D1 to even be a threat of being as popular as ASU means that ASU is in a heap of shit.

so, your classification is based on fan support and asses in seats vs W's and L's? CTP. Thunder Dan would wear out and he cannot coach. He is just a local figure in the community. I would rather get a good recruiter from a school with a reputation, like DUKE. I see some of your points but GCU will never be as good, in every classification of scenario you throw out there. IN a few years when our facilities improve we will draw even better talent.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, your classification is based on fan support and asses in seats vs W's and L's? CTP. Thunder Dan would wear out and he cannot coach. He is just a local figure in the community. I would rather get a good recruiter from a school with a reputation, like DUKE. I see some of your points but GCU will never be as good, in every classification of scenario you throw out there. IN a few years when our facilities improve we will draw even better talent.

What I'm saying is that ASU desperately needs someone to revive that program. We can agree on that, right? Because GCU is doing that right now through Dan. That's not to say that he is a perfect match or the ultimate answer. But I'd also argue that you don't need that perfect match right now. You need someone to get it off the ground.

Now, you can definitely get a better coach than Dan. But you could also flop like what happened with Sendek. After doing well at NC St, he looked like a safe bet, but he flopped. He was a reputable coach from a good program that had a nice string of tourney experiences with some success as well. But it didn't work out. If that happens again, you will have lost the valley support to GCU. If someone comes in and can't get asses in the seat to make ASU basketball exciting, you won't get recruits who believe in the future (Sendek's problem), and you'll stay where you are.

Asses in the seats are important. Look at a lot of programs that shot upward, it started with creating a buzz locally that put asses in the seat, which got recruits that the coach could win with. It happened with Lute and Steve Fisher at SDSU just to name a couple.

If you go out and get someone that will take the chance, it might work. Capel might very well work. He did have some problems at OK, so keep that in mind. My point is that if it doesn't work, you're fucked. If you can pull Dan, then he has already shown that it can work, and work in PHX, because he is already doing it. He'd get more people at ASU because there is more potential than at GCU. He's a safe bet. In a few years when the program is on the rise, there is a buzz in Tempe and PHX, and the recruits start coming with better quality, ASU can then reach out and get a much better coach based on the potential of what would already be growing. It's low risk low reward, but it almost guarantees a step up and not having to compete with GCU for fans in the valley. It's not an end all be all, but it's a great jumping off point, and certainly a better place than you're at now.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just cut the bball program and put all the money into Graham and the football program :noidea: