• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Plan for the #7 Pick

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for trading Pau, Hill or anyone not currently under contract, it would have to be a sign THEN trade, not a sign AND trade.

The difference? The Lakers would have to re-sign them as if they fully intend to keep them and then work on trading them. I don't see where a team would do a sign and trade when they can just them as FA's.

True, but say the team Pau wants to go to (and wants him) doesn't have the cap space. They'll have to do a sign and trade then. Contending teams tend not to have large amounts of cap space and Pau is not signing a minimum contract.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the chances Exum falls to us at 7 and we take our chances on Love in FA?? I know he wants to get paid, but he will anyway.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but say the team Pau wants to go to (and wants him) doesn't have the cap space. They'll have to do a sign and trade then. Contending teams tend not to have large amounts of cap space and Pau is not signing a minimum contract.

True, didn't think about that. They would have to send an equal amount of salary back to the Lakers and the only way to do that would be via a sign and trade.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the chances Exum falls to us at 7 and we take our chances on Love in FA?? I know he wants to get paid, but he will anyway.

Chances at Exum are slim, but not non-existent. He has the same agent as Kobe and his agent would have to be willing to tell the teams picking ahead of the Lakers to not bother because he won't sign.

Him stating that he only wants to work out for the Lakers could be the first step in that direction. We'll see.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now rumor has it the Cavs might pick Embiid 2014 NBA draft -- Cleveland Cavaliers have Joel Embiid at top of draft board with No. 1 pick, per sources - ESPN

I see the Bucks picking Exum or Smart to be honest, as they desperately need a good PG. But then I don't see them passing up on Wiggens though.

Philly might go with Parker as they don't actually have a true SF on their roster

Orlando have Nelson so may look for a big man. Randle would be my guess

If Exum drops out of the top 5 we might actually get lucky.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Exum is going to force the Lakers to take him (as much as any player can force a team to draft him ala Johhny football and Cleveland) using Kobe and their common agent to put pressure on Mitch and short Buss. Exum has already threatened to sit out a year in order to play for the Lakers and he may just fall to us because of this edict.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade prop:

Lakers give up:
7th overall
Jordan Hill

Timberwolves give up:
13th overall
Kevin Love

Sixers give up:
3rd Overall
Thaddeus Young

Lakers get:
Kevin Love

Timberwolves get:
3rd Overall- Take Embiid
Thaddeus Young
Jordan Hill

Sixers get:
7th overall- Take best PF on board(Aaron Gordon or Noah Vonleh)
13th overall- Take best SF on the board(Rodney Hood or James Young)

Trade gives Lakers a Vet to compete, and resign for post Kobe era.
Timberwolves get a new big man to replace Love, with a good SF, and backup center.
Sixers with 10th overall pick take Gary Harris or Staukus. Giving a starting lineup of MCW, Harris or Staukus, Hood or Young, Vonleh or Gordon, and Nerlens Noel.

As A Sixers fan that is a horrible trade for the Sixers

They have the #3 and #10 pick now. Why would they do that trade and downgrade to the #7 and #13? Granted they would have 3 picks in the first round but the Sixers are devoid of superstar talent (yes MCW had a good 1st year but it is only 1 year). With the #3 pick the chances of getting a player like that is a high probability.
And then the trade has them giving up Young as well who while not an all star is a good valuable player for the Sixers.

Sixers do not have any issues with Cap space so they don't need to be shedding players.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a lot of work when Minnesota is really trying to keep KLove Snowdog.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Exum is going to force the Lakers to take him (as much as any player can force a team to draft him ala Johhny football and Cleveland) using Kobe and their common agent to put pressure on Mitch and short Buss. Exum has already threatened to sit out a year in order to play for the Lakers and he may just fall to us because of this edict.

Hate to be a party pooper but frankly I don't think a player should be able to do that. If a team drafts a player that team should hold the rights to that player 1 year from now or 10 years from now if the team chooses not to trade the rights and the player decides to sit home unsigned getting fat.

If I was a GM sitting in the top 5 someplace I would certainly call Exum's bluff and pick him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No party poopering taken Snowdog. That is a valid point as well but since the NBA has become the so-called "players League" nearly anything can go down.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we looking to draft a PG when we have Nash and Marshall on the books already and are looking to re-sign Farmar? We don't need 4 point guards.

We should be looking to boost the positions we're weak in, particularly at the 3, 4 and 5 spot.

Pau will want too much money and Hill we only stay if we offer him a bigger role.

Marshall and Farmar are good backups. They are not starting quality at all. Nash is non existent. Can't even count on him for 10 games next year.

3 and 5 are basically out of the question in this draft unless Wiggins or Embiid fall. But they ain't. PF are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Exum and Smart are both PGs and the Lakers need a motor for their car.

That is why he is not on my team. Only thing he is good for is a sign and trade to get either some more picks or good young players

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to be a party pooper but frankly I don't think a player should be able to do that. If a team drafts a player that team should hold the rights to that player 1 year from now or 10 years from now if the team chooses not to trade the rights and the player decides to sit home unsigned getting fat.

If I was a GM sitting in the top 5 someplace I would certainly call Exum's bluff and pick him.

Problem is that he has other options besides the NBA. I agree that a player shouldn't necessarily be able to do that, but they do it anyway when they have other options.

If I'm a GM, I don't call his bluff because if he's not bluffing, they end up with nothing and if he is bluffing, they get a player who doesn't want to be there and is likely to try to force a trade or leave as an FA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is Nick Young on your SG list ? :noidea:

He is going to opt out and demand too much money. Just like Ariza, Brown, and Sessions the lakers should decline to pay him that much. He is not worth more than his contract right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going to opt out and demand too much money. Just like Ariza, Brown, and Sessions the lakers should decline to pay him that much. He is not worth more than his contract right now.

He won't want too much. Just more than the $1.2m he gets now. Give him a 3yr $12m contract and he'll happily stay without hurting the cap space too much.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't want too much. Just more than the $1.2m he gets now. Give him a 3yr $12m contract and he'll happily stay without hurting the cap space too much.

I agree we can't just let a player like him go, just give him something decent & he will stay.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, he has said that he wants to be a Laker and would take less money to stay. The question will be; How much less? 3 years at $12 mil would probably get the deal done.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he has said that he wants to be a Laker and would take less money to stay. The question will be; How much less? 3 years at $12 mil would probably get the deal done.

$3m 1st year
$4m 2nd year (Nash off the books then)
$5m 3rd year

:thumb:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree totally with all of the above posts. We want to keep our present assets and add to them because we have a decent team that needs some tweaking as well as stop giving away draft picks and in a couple of years we will be pretty good.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade in the OP makes no sense at all for Minny. #7 for Love straight up is bad enough but why the hell would they toss in two second rounders as well? You realize that Love is far more valuable than the #7, right? Your trade is equal to you giving me 5 dollars and me giving you 1.35. That three teamer with Minny/Philly/LA at least tries to get value to all teams involved, but as was pointed out, Hill is a FA and can't be traded unless he signs and trades. And that's the deal breaker for every LA trade that LA fans need to understand. There is no one currently under contract worth trading for. Every player you would think about putting in a trade (Gasol, Hill, Young, whoever doesn't matter) would have to agree to go to Minnesota. Now put yourself in their shoes. As a player entering free agency, why would you ever agree to go Minnesota, especially without ever testing your own free agency market? You wouldn't. It's dumb because you could be leaving money on the table somewhere else.

I'm just going to be that guy and burst everyone's bubble. There isn't a pre draft trade out there right now for Love. Love would 100% have to say Lakers or no one else for it to happen and it isn't likely he's going to do that